Tarrega pieces by grade

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
andrebraci

Tarrega pieces by grade

Post by andrebraci » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Hello friends, i am beggining to teach classical guitar to my students and i am a big fan of Tarregas work, i want to know if there is some "list" of pieces that gradually advances in the technique and complexity.

Thank you very much.
Andre Bracisievicz

Smudger5150

Re: Tarrega pieces by grade

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm

"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

I can't remember very well, but in our conservatoire (not USA or England) there are some Tarrega's pieces in the program... some examples in relation of year and pieces:

1st year- Can't remember any example, or If there were any Tarrega pieces in that year.
2nd year- Lágrima, then an arrgement of Tarrega of some Chopin Preludes in D... can't remember the name
3- Prelude 2 in A minor, then other pieces but can't remember
4- Prelude 5 in E Major, Estudio en forma de minueto (Etude in minuet form)
5- Can't remember any example.
6- Recuerdos de la Alhambra
7- Capricho Árabe. Which is weird because I would swap Recuerdos and Capricho Arabe, but then again, it's not about what one plays, is about how.
You're reading this.

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm
These might be good places to start:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120522&p=1283897&hi ... e#p1283897

http://www.guitarburst.com/howto.php
Thank you my friend!!
Andre Bracisievicz

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 am

Sebastian wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm
I can't remember very well, but in our conservatoire (not USA or England) there are some Tarrega's pieces in the program... some examples in relation of year and pieces:

1st year- Can't remember any example, or If there were any Tarrega pieces in that year.
2nd year- Lágrima, then an arrgement of Tarrega of some Chopin Preludes in D... can't remember the name
3- Prelude 2 in A minor, then other pieces but can't remember
4- Prelude 5 in E Major, Estudio en forma de minueto (Etude in minuet form)
5- Can't remember any example.
6- Recuerdos de la Alhambra
7- Capricho Árabe. Which is weird because I would swap Recuerdos and Capricho Arabe, but then again, it's not about what one plays, is about how.
Thank you for the advice friend, since i will be teaching a group, this pieces will be very helpful.
Andre Bracisievicz

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 am

Smudger5150 wrote:

By the way, this guitarburst site is AMAZING.
Andre Bracisievicz

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm

The following pieces are listed on the AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board) guitar syllabus by grade:

Grade 5: Estudio (in Em)

Grade 6: Lagrima
Tango

Grade 7: Pavana
Pepita
Adelita

Grade8: Marieta!
Rosita
Maria
Capricho arabe
Grand vals

Certificate: La alborada

Associate: Recuerdos de la Alhambra
Fantasia on themes from La traviata
Gran jota
Sueno

Hope this helps!!
-Paul

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:34 pm

andrebraci wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 am
Smudger5150 wrote:

By the way, this guitarburst site is AMAZING.
Yes, I find it (and the spreadsheet on the other link) useful for finding other pieces at a similar or slightly higher level to what I'm currently working on...or where I'm supposed to be!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:59 pm

The guitarburst site is very interesting and a great idea.

The difficulty levels assigned to the piece seem to be in the opinion of the site owners, rather than any particular academy or even well-known guitar teacher. But at least they provide a rule of thumb when comparing pieces.

quin

Post by quin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 pm

As a teacher of private students as well as spending years teaching classes in the schools, I would advise against basing your curriculum on pieces you love. The Tarrega pieces, even Lagrima are far too advanced for beginners.
If you care about their development, use something that truly is carefully graded with the student in mind. My suggestion in Sagreras, Book 1

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 pm

quin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 pm
As a teacher of private students as well as spending years teaching classes in the schools, I would advise against basing your curriculum on pieces you love. The Tarrega pieces, even Lagrima are far too advanced for beginners.
If you care about their development, use something that truly is carefully graded with the student in mind. My suggestion in Sagreras, Book 1
Yes, Sagreras Book indeed. I used to use it too.
Only setback on Sagreras is that many students somehow find it "boring" even the one that take pre examination courses for exams.
There is another book called "20 lecciones" or "las primeras 20 lecciones" by Irma Costanzo, it's in Spanish (maybe it was also translated to english) but it both teaches guitar parallel to teaching music reading, rhythmic stuff... well comprised, even some professors who are specialized in Music Ed recommend it. I currently use it with some students and it is one of the best resources... It is even pre planified! So you can base a great portion of it as it is very well ordered.

Also, my master recommended Yamaha's guitar method, it is VERY similar. Also has a MP3 recording so the student can play along after studying.
You're reading this.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm
The following pieces are listed on the AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board) guitar syllabus by grade:

Tango

Pepita
Adelita

Rosita
Maria
Capricho arabe
Grand vals

Gran jota
Sueno

Hope this helps!!
-Paul
It is interesting isn't it, different boards perceptions. In the UK, Trinity has Maria for only grade 6. I taught it to a grade six candidate and it was clear it should be higher. But it is not as hard as Grand Vals. Grand Vals should definitely be grade 8. Also in the UK, Capricho Arabe is in the diploma list along with RDLA... which it should be. Capricho Arabe is definitely above grade 8 because of the demands of the major section and relentless ornamentation.
Classical guitar teacher

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:27 pm

quin wrote:
Yes i agree, i think Lagrima can be worked on a semester, depending on the evolution of the student, because most of the students that i have worked simply stop when the degree of dificulty begins to go up, that is the most frustating part of teaching for me, seems like they'll just like to play the "easy" stuff.
Andre Bracisievicz

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Sebastian wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 pm
quin wrote:
Yes, Sagreras Book indeed. I used to use it too.
Only setback on Sagreras is that many students somehow find it "boring" even the one that take pre examination courses for exams.
There is another book called "20 lecciones" or "las primeras 20 lecciones" by Irma Costanzo, it's in Spanish (maybe it was also translated to english) but it both teaches guitar parallel to teaching music reading, rhythmic stuff... well comprised, even some professors who are specialized in Music Ed recommend it. I currently use it with some students and it is one of the best resources... It is even pre planified! So you can base a great portion of it as it is very well ordered.

Also, my master recommended Yamaha's guitar method, it is VERY similar. Also has a MP3 recording so the student can play along after studying.
Thanks for the advice my friend, i never heard of this book before, i will take a look. And its hard to find a piece that its is easy and not boring to play
Andre Bracisievicz

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 am

Paul Janssen wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Tango

Pepita
Adelita

Rosita
Maria
Capricho arabe
Grand vals

Gran jota
Sueno

Hope this helps!!
-Paul
Can't believe and don't know why "Sueno" is graded on par with the likes of La Traviata and Gran Jota

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”