Thoughts on HVL Etude #6?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
David Norton

Thoughts on HVL Etude #6?

Post by David Norton » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I played Villa-Lobos's Etude #6 many years ago (20? 30?) as a "companion piece" to Etude #1, but dropped it for reasons long forgotten. It didn't strike me as a particularly memorable Etude, most likely because I didn't understand the point of it. It certainly doesn't have the "audience fan base appeal" of several others from the series (e.g. 1, 5, 7, 8, 11). Looking at it now, it seems to be mostly an Etude focused on barre chords and left hand endurance, along with keeping a sustained melodic line on the top string.

What else should I be aware of in this one?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Cipher

Re: Thoughts on HVL Etude #6?

Post by Cipher » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:14 pm

David Norton wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 pm
I played Villa-Lobos's Etude #6 many years ago (20? 30?) as a "companion piece" to Etude #1, but dropped it for reasons long forgotten. It didn't strike me as a particularly memorable Etude, most likely because I didn't understand the point of it. It certainly doesn't have the "audience fan base appeal" of several others from the series (e.g. 1, 5, 7, 8, 11). Looking at it now, it seems to be mostly an Etude focused on barre chords and left hand endurance, along with keeping a sustained melodic line on the top string.

In the hands of a great player with creativity this is a pretty exciting piece! Give a listen to Alvaro Pierri here on YouTube for some great interpretive ideas (legal link provided by record company to YouTube). Fabio Zanon's is very good too but I like Pierri better. Pierri plays the popular #7 so beautifully much slower than usual but so very expressive milking all the lovely harmony.

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Etude no. 6 · Alvaro Pierri]

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Etude no. 6 · Alvaro Pierri]

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks for the tip to listen to Pierri. Someone who thinks hard about interpretation and always delivers something more than most. He also gets the best sound from a Friederich guitar, it seems.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 am

David Norton wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 pm
Sound dynamics

edited:
Forgot to point out that there are dynamics in the manuscript you won't find in the Eschig edition, which seems important IMO. Eg the sfz in first chord is followed by mf, and there are several sfz - mf notations. There are also some other "mood" indications, like "tres energico" and so on.
Too me this is an important etude on dynamics, I think learning to control it to achieve composer's request is the most important point of this etude.

wingarratta

Post by wingarratta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 am

What I found most helpful when working on this piece (about 40 years ago :?, as a "companion piece" to the other eleven 8)) was Turibio Santos's observation that it could suggest a tango argentino.
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:02 am

wingarratta wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 am
What I found most helpful when working on this piece (about 40 years ago :?, as a "companion piece" to the other eleven 8)) was Turibio Santos's observation that it could suggest a tango argentino.
Which is very helpful to someone who knows what the aforementioned "tango argentino" sounds like. I've tried to listen to this as a Carlos Gardel or Carmen Miranda showpiece, all those being of roughly the same era, and come up zero each time.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”