descending scales right hand question

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
justincase13

descending scales right hand question

Post by justincase13 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to learn my scales but I've been wondering if I've been teaching myself the wrong method.

On descending scales I tend to use the M finger in succession on the very next string because this feels more natural to me.

However I'm wondering if I should be switching to the "I" finger when moving down the next string...

I've attached a picture to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The top method is what I've been doing, then bottom is what I feel like I maybe should be doing?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by justincase13 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terpfan

Re: descending scales right hand question

Post by Terpfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Second one is better

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 pm

The 2nd method is more typical, but you will want both methods of string crossing at your disposal, so you might as well get comfortable doing it both ways.

Switch up, too, so you cross i-i as well as m-m, i-m as well as m-i. And you might as well work out the a finger too (trust me, the option can come in handy).

Thorn Hill

Post by Thorn Hill » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Very interesting and helpful, so thanks to all for this!

justincase13

Post by justincase13 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:20 am

I'll start learning the second method asap, but it's good to know I can revert back to the first when I'm feeling a little lazy ;)

I hear many stories of people having to unlearn bad habits and I'm trying to not go down that avenue.

Hopefully I can take some pro lessons one day to keep on the right path.

Thanks for the speedy reply's, you guys are awesome.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 am

robert e wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 pm
The 2nd method is more typical, but you will want both methods of string crossing at your disposal, so you might as well get comfortable doing it both ways.

Switch up, too, so you cross i-i as well as m-m, i-m as well as m-i. And you might as well work out the a finger too (trust me, the option can come in handy).
Does classical guitarist use sweeping technique?? Just curious???

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 am

Terpfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 am
robert e wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Does classical guitarist use sweeping technique?? Just curious???
Many pro players sweep a finger on descending scale string crossings. These days, though, more players are using ami scales instead of i,m. The old-school players who do only i,m use the sweeping more.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:02 am

Make sure different fingerings sound the same, or that you choose a specific fingering for the sound result.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”