Ahh ok. I had no idea. This is my first teacher and I told him I was struggling with restroke. So now I see that these can be played many ways and can help in a lot of areas.There are many other technical & musical features that can be taught through this etude.
- development of strong free stroke (melody)
- mixture of free & rest stroke eg each off beat quaver of the melody can be free stroke whereas every onbeat crotchet could be r.s.
- a similar effect using staccato versus legato
- a similar effect (stac / leg) in the bass
- damping technique (esp in bass)
- legato chordal playing ie sustain all as long as harmonically appropriate.
Lol Dowland is some tough stuff man. Good on ya!Me? I'm going off to learn another Dowland piece....