Advice on retirement from private teaching.

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
a human

Re: Advice on retirement from private teaching.

Post by a human » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:37 pm

My advice about retirement in general is to have some concrete plans in place to nourish your soul. Vacations, volunteering, improved health initiatives, mentoring, visiting loved ones all come to mind. Do what you've always wanted to do but never could find the time to do so. If you are retired June 1, you should have a celebratory trip planned the day after! Congratulations on your life's work.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:15 pm

teaching is exhausting; I retired from it at around age 50. My practicing and playing improved at a faster rate afterwards. I replaced teaching with school and senior performance programs. turned out better in almost every way. the school programs incorporate some educational aspects, but not one-on-one teaching. My teaching career was a sporadic 35 years long. that's enough. Good luck in a more free and relaxed future, Larry, all indications are that you left a fine legacy.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Congratulations on your amazing career!
Graduate of Trump University School of Music.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:21 am

Thank you everyone.
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

bear

Post by bear » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

The first time I retired, I was in my 40's (Psychologist). I had enough money and income to live modestly. I started a couple of part time businesses (horse related) and worked about 10 hours per week. I took a week off every month.
A few years ago, my wife became ill and I retired fully. I've never been so aware of the clock, not the time of day but the number of days left. I don't feel a great urgency to get anything done since I think I've already "been there and done that". My wife is one of those walking wounded. You'd never know she was ill to look at her and she could stay this way for decades or she could catch a cold and be gone. Our hobby involves traveling, no place special, just someplace else. We go to NOLA, a couple of times a year. The people are nice, the food is good and the music is free.

The psych in me advises that anyone planning to retire have an occupation/hobby in the works before you stop working. Otherwise, it's like pushing your canoe out onto the lake and looking back to see your paddle on the shore. Your new life with dictate what you do, as long as you decide to do something. Keep a student or two until you find a new obsession.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Good advice, bear. Thanks.
-Lare

Vonseggern

Post by Vonseggern » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 am

Amazing advice bear.
O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!
Sondern laßt uns angenehmere anstimmen,
und freudenvollere.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Congratulations and enjoy it.
I am sure you will find plenty of stuff to do, if you feel bored somehow.
But I just agree it is nice to have some midterm or longterm targets, being it traveling somewhere, meeting someone, learning something new, composing some new stuff or helping some guitar student...
This also varies from person to person. Some people just live the moment and don't like to think further. Some others are the complete opposite.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Hurra! Best wishes for your big decision. You should get a lifetime achievement award for your comprehensive guides to classical guitar repertory! Maybe there's another branch of music you now can dig into? F.ex. recording producer?
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Happy retirement! Man, I sure wish I could retire, but I need to make money to live. I've never met a guitar teacher who got into guitar playing to teach, maybe you could get back to playing again...and then post some stuff on youtube for us to see/hear!
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

khayes

Post by khayes » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:11 pm

bear wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
The first time I retired, I was in my 40's (Psychologist). I had enough money and income to live modestly. I started a couple of part time businesses (horse related) and worked about 10 hours per week. I took a week off every month.
A few years ago, my wife became ill and I retired fully. I've never been so aware of the clock, not the time of day but the number of days left. I don't feel a great urgency to get anything done since I think I've already "been there and done that". My wife is one of those walking wounded. You'd never know she was ill to look at her and she could stay this way for decades or she could catch a cold and be gone. Our hobby involves traveling, no place special, just someplace else. We go to NOLA, a couple of times a year. The people are nice, the food is good and the music is free.

The psych in me advises that anyone planning to retire have an occupation/hobby in the works before you stop working. Otherwise, it's like pushing your canoe out onto the lake and looking back to see your paddle on the shore. Your new life with dictate what you do, as long as you decide to do something. Keep a student or two until you find a new obsession.
Bear, that's gold! I retired in 2015 and still manage to stay pretty busy, although physically things are slowing a bit. I love your example of being in a canoe with the paddle on the shore. We should all strive to leave this life with no regrets.
Ken

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 pm

The only advice I can offer is to get a good dog or two and go for lots of long walks in the woods.

Congratulations and all the luck in the world.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 pm

Thanks. The long walks have already started.
-Lare

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”