What's this object attached to the guitar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Sebastian

What's this object attached to the guitar?

Post by Sebastian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 am

Greetings, watching some Igor Presnyakov videos I found that sometimes he uses a black rectangular object attached to this guitar:

It seems to be some kind of golpeador. Can anyone confirm this and if so, does anyone know what type of golpeador is it? I know you can apply a film layer to the guitar in order not to scratch it but this is not the case. If anyone knows what brand/model is it, even better.
You're reading this.

Amy Gaudia
Student of the online lessons

Re: What's this object attached to the guitar?

Post by Amy Gaudia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 am

Is it just an extra pick-up?
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://vimeo.com/236319105

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 pm

tuner, most likely.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm

I don't know, but it sounds like it has been recorded through the pickup as it sounds really bad. I wonder if he is a steel player as it kind of sounds like he is.
Last edited by Julian Ward on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Classical guitar teacher

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Some of the effect is because he's playing sul ponte most of the time.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm

I just edited some weird typo nonsense I wrote above - Yes obviously he is playing like that, but recording through the pickup always sounds pretty nasty.
Classical guitar teacher

rwe

Post by rwe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Julian Ward wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm
I just edited some weird typo nonsense I wrote above - Yes obviously he is playing like that, but recording through the pickup always sounds pretty nasty.
Interestingly, Igor has a degree on classical guitar from Moscu's conservatoire (and another degree I think in music conduction or something like that) but he always plays like that in all videos, like very sul ponticello.
Sometimes I think it's because the strings don't "bounce" laterally so much in that area (very near to the bridge) and also at least in my case I've tried and it gives me more security to play stuff like scale passages there (but not so close to the bridge), although I usually try to avoid playing there.
The second reason I think he uses it is because of his overall body posture. But i'm not so sure about that because I've seen other guitarists play like that and they all play a little more near the rossette.
Third reason is because he oftenly uses percussive hits (some tambora-esque effects) in combination with some rasgueados which he performs near the bridge, thus, by default his hand is more near the bridge. It seems to be formed as an habit though, because at least in this arrangement he does not almost use percussive resources and his hand is just down there because it's an habit.

Although I think his tone is thin, I still think it's pretty nice overall and kind of unique. He's one of my top 5 favourite fingerstyle players.
I also, as you mentioned, don't know why he recorded it entirely or at least mostly through a pick-up instead of a condenser microphone. If he indeed recorded with a pick up/s, then wow, he got a very decent sound. I really wish to know the brand/model of the pick up he used.

Aside from that:

I think in that video he recorded through condenser mostly, but I'm not entirely sure.
You're reading this.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:01 pm

rwe wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Looks like https://www.schlagwerk.com/en/products/ ... ulticlapr/
+1 like. Good work
You're reading this.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”