Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: Gentle, " -beautiful" - pieces...??

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Morin, Ludovic-Alexandre - Petite étude
It is part of the D04 Classical guitar lesson 03, for example: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=115871
When played a bit slower than in the demo video it sounds even better.
Cordoba C9

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 pm

A piece that Ive been enjoying is "Pachelbel's Canon in D".At first glance it looks like a little walk in the park.But after a giving it a shot,I saw that there is a bit of work involved,which is usually the position in my case.Nevertheless after putting it together I believe it could come in very handy ,eg weddings ect.I just seems to be the right length as well for occasions like that.I would suggest give it a shot,it seems freely available.Another nice one not too lengthy is Mr Delcam'ps arrangement of "Fughette by Handel",beautiful two voiced harmonies,a total joy to learn.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Michael Langer: Simple Truth. Easy finger-style ballad, with an Irish touch, quite beautiful. It is available free from his website. The piece was published in Saitenwege (a German pun, believe it or not), a very useful series (4 vols, highly recommended), containing graded guitar pieces with excellent fingering.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't know whether this piece has been mentioned but Mompou's Cuna from his Suite Compostelana is very beautiful and gentle.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 pm

+1 on Cuna. Laura Snowden does a nice version on you tube; Antigoni Goni plays the suite (and Cuna very differently than Snowden) on a cd.

edit: I just realized that the video above is of Ms. Goni!

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Jeffrey,

Yes, in some ways I was a little disappointed by Antigoni Goni's interpretation in that video as I have heard her play it much more "sensitively" - but then she was having to project the guitar into what is probably a large venue. I too like Laura Snowden's playing, though Antigoni Goni does bring a lovely range of nuance to the piece.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm

JohnB wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm
Jeffrey,

Yes, in some ways I was a little disappointed by Antigoni Goni's interpretation in that video as I have heard her play it much more "sensitively" - but then she was having to project the guitar into what is probably a large venue. I too like Laura Snowden's playing, though Antigoni Goni does bring a lovely range of nuance to the piece.
Yes, they're very different interpretations. Laura Snowden plays the third, chordal section with strict timing; Ms Goni takes some liberties and, as I remember, plays that section more gently. They're both great versions. I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm
I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!
"As written", in the edition I have (Suite compostelana, pub Salabert, ed Segovia) is somewhat problematic as the typesetters seem to have run out of dots for the dotted notes (yes, I realise it would have been done digitally). When I first looked at the score I kept thinking "what on earth is going on here?" until I realised that it was just a case of extremely careless "typesetting".

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm

By the way, Peter Nuttall's "Berceuse" from his "Twelve Inventions for Solo Guitar" is also a really lovely piece. Lyrical but technically relatively simple (Trinity Grade 4).

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

JohnB wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm
I try to play that section more 'as written' in terms of respecting the count--because it's lovely!
"As written", in the edition I have (Suite compostelana, pub Salabert, ed Segovia) is somewhat problematic as the typesetters seem to have run out of dots for the dotted notes (yes, I realise it would have been done digitally). When I first looked at the score I kept thinking "what on earth is going on here?" until I realised that it was just a case of extremely careless "typesetting".
The count through this section is a bit tricky in the best of circumstances!

klangbild

Post by klangbild » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Two spring to mind from Carlo Domeniconi's Preludes:

Prelude #2 - Semplice

and

Prelude #11 - Nostalgia

thomasonedin

Post by thomasonedin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 pm

A lot of good suggestions here, some new to me I look forward to looking up.

I like to play the prelude from M D Pujol's suite del plata, or maybe Satie's gnossienne #1 as gentle. Beautiful pieces although they are a bit on the sad side.

Mysterious Barricades by Couperin is a cheerful one I'd like to learn myself but I think it offers quite a challenge. Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel? A lot of good folk music from 60-70s might suit your needs.

AgedAngel

Post by AgedAngel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 am

I haven't read through every post, but I would say that Dowland's "Tarleton's Resurrection" fills the bill.

For extreme minimalism, there us an (unfortunately) untltled piece usually called "Scottish Air". Matthew McAllister plays a beautiful "fancied up" version on Youtube that was referenced in another thread. I have it in lute notation, but I whipped up a simple version for myself and play it in D major. The bass simply alternates between tonic and subdominant and it makes me wistful.

Here's McAllister's version.

AA
Furry's Rules for Survival 12 & 13:
"Always know when to get out of Dodge."
"Always know how to get out of Dodge."

Nora_spielman

Post by Nora_spielman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:59 am

Fred Hand's first etude, Sor bminor study, Canción de Cuna by Leo Brouwer, maybe Bach sarabande from 995

eno

Post by eno » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Sanz's Folias is one of my favorites
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”