Beginner's impressions

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
rayjang

Re: Beginner's impressions

Post by rayjang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Damping

Still trying to figure out how to get a video recorded for posting, but, I thought I'd start from D01 online Delcamp lessons and already I've benefited.

The first open string exercises involve damping and Msr. Delcamp has setup the exercises in baby steps, just what I needed to learn how to get the LH fingers to stop a string, and how to use the RH thumb. I have been using the side of my thumb, but not in a very precise way.

Trio bookings

In the course of arranging to use the Public Library branch's meeting space for our rehearsals, Harry got a request for us to play in August at the library!
Of course, he said we would do it. This is exciting.

Cheers all. Ray.

etherline

Post by etherline » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Cary W wrote:Hello Ray.
How do you feel about the third anniversary of your thread? Perhaps it is time to start a new one, perhaps as an intermediate player?

Best wishes,
Cary

Busted, Ray! Impersonating a beginner while playing gigs is a serious offence. :-)

rayjang

Post by rayjang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Au revoir Beginner's Impressions! Its been a blast.

When one starts out on a new venture, its not certain what will happen and where it will take you. Three years, 25,000 views and almost 100 pages later I am very grateful for all the kind comments and encouragement and inspiration and mutual sharing, from your wonderful folks at Delcamp. There are too many of you to name for surely I would inadvertently leave a deserving someone out. Let's just leave your identities in the pages of the thread as it happened over time.

I think learning classical guitar is not easy, else anyone could do it in a fast way. As my enthusiasm ebbed and flowed this forum support has been critical for my continued development. :merci:

I browsed back through this thread last night and it was great to refresh the journey, the humor still tickles me. I am very happy to have developed to my present stage. Now its time to move on, no longer a beginner.

There is a quote from Shakespeare that seems appropriate for this point in time:
Things won are done, joy's soul lies in the doing
from William Shakespeare's tragedy, Troilus and Cressida, Act 1, Scene 2

Not sure what will happen to this thread, but, I will stop posting to it. Not sure if another learning experience thread will come, but, play on mes amis. See you on the forum.

Very best wishes to all. Ray

etherline

Post by etherline » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Ray, I have greatly enjoyed your articulate and thoughtul journey to your current achievements. It has been a unique thread which is a testament to your own unique voice.

You made it to 99 pages almost entirely driven from your own experiences. It's the only thread of its kind as far as I know.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all. I look forward to the next stage of your journey.

Best wishes

etherline

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 am

Just bumping this old thread in case there are any new older players looking for encouragement.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 am

At my age, now starting my new birth year cycle at 84 - I was born in 1931 but after 12 month of life I consider that I would then be starting on my 2nd year of life. My comments here is that anything worth-wile like learning to play a musical instrument is not an easy task when you start later in your life.
Too many back experiences affect our views of how much time and concentration we are willing to devote to a task. I started learning to play the CG in my early 70's and my goal was to enjoy the CG music and the playing of an instrument for my personal pleasure. Never thinking to become a concert performer. I am very happy on what I have achieved by myself - never had a private tutor but have shared time learning with other senior adult students with similar desires and musical background experiences. I learned to sight read music as a young boy when I attended a violin academy but never practiced playing any instrument until after my retirement from the buisness world in my late 60"s. My observation is that when we are in the senior category as students some of us tend to rush to achieve a goal that in the musical field requires patience and Quaility of time spent in practice, Not Quantity.I am sorry to hear of seniors giving up a task that could provide so much pleasure in their personal life. We all need encouragememt from others who also have similar desires to learn to reach a goal.
I am writng this note because just in the last 5 days I have read of another CG player that is ginving up and searching for another way to reach a musical goal.One sure thing I have learn in my CG journey is that to learn well, Short periods of concentration in learning will bring about faster results that trying to rush thru a lesson.

Aaron Kane

Post by Aaron Kane » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:17 pm

This is a fantastic thread. Ray thank you for starting it. I am new and older as well. I take courage and hope that I have made the right decision to press forward and begin lessons, I hope to start tomorrow. I love classical music and I love quitar. Let the journy begin. Ray if you are still out there and you venture back to this thread, I would love to read an update and to where you are at in your journy/progress.

Aj

twbranch

Post by twbranch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:58 am

Well I am not as old as some of you on this thread (I am 41), I am older than most students of classical guitar that I see around here. I have been playing bass/guitar for 25 years and just wanted to learn what I had intended to do 25 years ago...classical. I can't wait to get started as I am in the process of picking a guitar and instructor. Glad I am not the only old guy learning a new challenging instrument.

Shelby Brown

Post by Shelby Brown » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 pm

twbranch wrote:Well I am not as old as some of you on this thread (I am 41), I am older than most students of classical guitar that I see around here. I have been playing bass/guitar for 25 years and just wanted to learn what I had intended to do 25 years ago...classical. I can't wait to get started as I am in the process of picking a guitar and instructor. Glad I am not the only old guy learning a new challenging instrument.

You are hardly an old guy....I will be 67 in about a month and still trying to play cg.

Shelby
:bye: :casque:

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Speaking as another 3 score and seven Learner I am looking forward to realising my long lost youthful desire to exercise what latent musical ability is available. I see this challenge to fulfil a dream together with a practical outcome of keeping my little brain and fingers co-ordinated. I understand that I may or may not make the 10000 hours but I will enjoy the freedom to try while enjoying some very satisfying music some of which represents the voices and feelings of some of our forebears. :)

ChristianK

Post by ChristianK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Wish Ray were still posting but if he ever stops by to read I just want to say thank you for the inspiration. I always wanted to learn CG but felt I was too old at 45 to start but after following Ray's journey I realized you are only too old to learn if you are not young at heart. Been playing for two years now and still on my journey. Thanks for this thread Ray, cheers!

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Glad to find this thread. I'm a perennial beginner. Started 30 years ago, intense for a few years then trailing off, gave it up because I didn't have the time to do it right with job and family. That was probably a mistake. Now that I'm retired and I have the time for things that want to do, like CG and fly fishing, I am rediscovering my passions. But now there is technology. HOLY CRAP have things changed in the CG and Fly fishing world. Same instrument, but better, more players ALL BETTER, so much music, so little time. YouTube!, iPad apps, this forum. It is better than ever.

One question I have for forum members. I saw what looked like a cool CG vacation here: http://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/s ... institute/. But I am sure the institutes and college programs cater mostly to younger students. Is there anything out there like this for us codgers and targeting the beginning/intermediate players?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

usyyu2

Post by usyyu2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:03 am

Does anyone know rayyang status? His account seems to be inactive.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 am

He hasn't been active for perhaps two years. I seem to recall that at some point he mentioned some health issue.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Glad to find this thread. I'm a perennial beginner. Started 30 years ago, intense for a few years then trailing off, gave it up because I didn't have the time to do it right with job and family. That was probably a mistake. Now that I'm retired and I have the time for things that want to do, like CG and fly fishing, I am rediscovering my passions. But now there is technology. HOLY CRAP have things changed in the CG and Fly fishing world. Same instrument, but better, more players ALL BETTER, so much music, so little time. YouTube!, iPad apps, this forum. It is better than ever.

One question I have for forum members. I saw what looked like a cool CG vacation here: http://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/s ... institute/. But I am sure the institutes and college programs cater mostly to younger students. Is there anything out there like this for us codgers and targeting the beginning/intermediate players?
Email them, ask questions. They don't bite and it costs nothing. There's every chance that you won't be the only person who has seen a few years pass them by or are not at near master level. You are not alone!
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”