El Noi de la Mare question

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
hav

Re: El Noi de la Mare question

Post by hav » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm

JQ. wrote:
ramsnake wrote:The discussion here has been purely about technique and I am not aware this piece has any religious significance in any case! :?
The title translates as "The Son of Mary" and it's a traditional Catalan Christmas folksong.
welllll - it looks to me like "Mare" translates to "Mother" - not "Mary"

Hey JQ :bye:

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 am

Bar second fret 121 13 / 13 bar fifth fret 1341

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:16 am

hav post wrote:Welllll - it looks to me like "Mare" translates to "Mother" - not "Mary"
Yes - Mare and Pare as in Ma and Pa. It was originally simply a lullaby which any pare nt might sing to their child.

I have been told (by a Catalan speaker) that the original verses relate only to soothing the crying infant by suggesting tasty items for him to eat; figs, walnuts, olives, honey & cheese. Only latterly were further words added relating to Mary and Jesus.

As with many folk tunes these later insertions (clearly referring to Easter, not Christmas by the way) are garbled and partly nonsensical even in Catalan, placing Palm Sunday after Easter.

Its reattribution as a "carol" is rather like that of Greensleeves which has become similarly ubiquitous in Christmas collections. Discussion of the original lullaby should not flout any DC rules.

EDIT: Just noticed the thread resurrection. How apposite ...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:16 am
hav post wrote:Welllll - it looks to me like "Mare" translates to "Mother" - not "Mary"
Yes - Mare and Pare as in Ma and Pa....
A Catalan native told me it was 'Ma (d) re' and pronounced it with an almost audible 'd' (Madre = mother in Spanish).
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:A Catalan native told me it was 'Ma (d) re' and pronounced it with an almost audible 'd' (Madre = mother in Spanish).
Yes Stephen - didn't mean to suggest that the words should be pronounced as Ma and Pa - just making the mother and father reference.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:01 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:A Catalan native told me it was 'Ma (d) re' and pronounced it with an almost audible 'd' (Madre = mother in Spanish).
Yes Stephen - didn't mean to suggest that the words should be pronounced as Ma and Pa - just making the mother and father reference.
Sure, just wanted to clarify the relationship with the Spanish 8)
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”