Sagreras, speed

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
wazow

Sagreras, speed

Post by wazow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Hello, I have abandonned my playing for more than a year - perhaps work was a bit too tough. I really miss it, and I am thinking how to make my playing more enjoyable, so that perhaps I would prioritize it higher over other things. I grabbed a copy of Sagreras (book 1-3) from my book shelf today, and a guitar which have been gathering dust for a long time. I was trying to play a random lesson. I have two questions:

1. Is Sagreras more interesting to play with than early delcamp PDFs ?

2. What is the expected tempo for the pieces in Sagreras ? (I looked into Leccion 76 in vol 1)

Paul Hammer

Re: Sagreras, speed

Post by Paul Hammer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm

I would recommend the music of Calatayud - The Guitar Music of Spain - Book 1.

His music is fun, sounds great, and is not too hard and - to use your word - is very "interesting" .

I wished I had known about Calatayud years ago.

Go for it!

Paul H

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I agree with Paul. I love the music of Calatayud and have learned almost all the pieces in this book…a very Spanish sound.

I would also recommend “Fifty Easy Classical Guitar Solos” by Jerry Willard. It contains easy and interesting pieces by all the great masters, Sor, Carulli, Carcassi, Giuliani, Tarrega etc. I enjoyed this book, plus it comes with a CD so you can hear what the pieces are supposed to sound like. This is a good book to start with.

Although I am familiar with some Sagreras pieces, I have not seen the book you are referring to, so I do not know which piece you are talking about. Does it have a name?

As for proper tempo...I learn a piece and play it at a tempo that sounds good and is comfortable for me. Some people may play it faster or slower, but that is what makes it personal, your own feeling and interpretation.

There is a lot of easy and fun music in all of Delcamp’s PDFs especially 2 to 4.

Take your time and enjoy your guitar.

Lorette

wazow

Post by wazow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks a lot! Calatayud seems "interesting". I found a random tango online, and it is reasonably learnable, yet fun. You are right that I was not very specific, on what "interesting" means. I normally like all sorts of classical music, Carulli and friends included, lute music etc. But it is probably more important that my family likes it than me. Then it is easier to justify spending time on playing guitar ...

What is the copryright status on Calatayud and Sagreras pieces ? Are these pieces ok to record and post on this forum for feedback ?

Paul Hammer

Post by Paul Hammer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm

For Calatayud, I would advise you to get hold of The Guitar Music of Spain - Book 1. The scores are easy to read and user-friendly.

The book's not very expensive, and is cash well spent.

Paul H

DanieleMagli

Post by DanieleMagli » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

wazow wrote:Hello, I have abandonned my playing for more than a year - perhaps work was a bit too tough. I really miss it, and I am thinking how to make my playing more enjoyable, so that perhaps I would prioritize it higher over other things. I grabbed a copy of Sagreras (book 1-3) from my book shelf today, and a guitar which have been gathering dust for a long time. I was trying to play a random lesson. I have two questions:

1. Is Sagreras more interesting to play with than early delcamp PDFs ?

2. What is the expected tempo for the pieces in Sagreras ? (I looked into Leccion 76 in vol 1)

Hi,

I suggest you try my easy compositions ( free pdf scores )

Twilight : free pdf score and my video interpretation here : http://www.classicalguitarvideo.com/tea ... imusic.htm

Angels : the same link http://www.classicalguitarvideo.com/tea ... imusic.htm

Soul Wind : this is a piece I composed in exclusive for Delcamp Forum : viewtopic.php?f=116&t=62404

Honestly I must say that the first guitar book when I started playing was the Sagreras 1 book :)

Daniele

fussey

Post by fussey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 pm

I have used the Sagreras books a lot, and I think that the pieces are beautiful and the progressive structure is rewarding.

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

I t0 use the sagreras books and it has improved my reading and playing dramatically

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Each piece is different, just play at the tempo that you can play flawlessly and gradually move up to where it should be for proper interpretation

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 pm

wazow wrote: What is the copryright status on Calatayud and Sagreras pieces ? Are these pieces ok to record and post on this forum for feedback ?
Only music in the public domain can be uploaded to Delcamp forum:
Works by anonymous composers and those where the composer or arranger has been dead more than 70 years (plus war years in the case of French nationals) belong to the public domain.
Julio Salvador Sagreras (1879-1942) Hmmm.... I guess he has now been dead for 70 years just this year, but you might have to check in what month he died. I think the rule is that the entire year has to pass, so next year you would be able to upload his work.
Bartolomé Calatayud (1882-1973) Only has been dead for 39 years, so no, you can't upload his work to the forum.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm

A lot of good recommendations here, but continue to use the Sagreras graded studies. They are outstanding and very rewarding.
Great to hear you have revisited your guitar. :okok:

cool09

Post by cool09 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:49 am

I'm interested, too in playing again. All the exercises have their own tempo don't they? Should you always play an exercise to the exact speed that is notated or can you break it into sections and practice each at lower speeds? Are these lessons in learning/controlling speed? And when should you turn to a metronome in your practice? I never used it much but if it's a good idea to use it on a daily basis I could try that.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 am

cool09 wrote:I'm interested, too in playing again. All the exercises have their own tempo don't they? Should you always play an exercise to the exact speed that is notated or can you break it into sections and practice each at lower speeds? Are these lessons in learning/controlling speed? And when should you turn to a metronome in your practice? I never used it much but if it's a good idea to use it on a daily basis I could try that.
My view is that you should practise at slower speeds, and you should break it into sections, particularly for more difficult passages, and you should practise with the metronome at least some of the time. Ultimately, however, your aim should be to be able to play the piece at any indicated tempo without the metronome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

cool09

Post by cool09 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:32 pm

That's the way I usually practiced. Practice sections at a time at reasonable speeds until I felt confident then try it at the composed tempo. ie. Segovia Sor #17 Arpeggio Study is good example: there are two parts and I broke each part into 5-6 sections or so until I could get clean chords then tried to put entire piece together. Same goes with the Segovia Sor #19 B-flat Bar Study. Metronome always felt cumbersome but I suppose it's a good idea to get a feel for the specific speeds which are notated. Thanks for input.

wazow

Post by wazow » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:12 pm

cool09 wrote:I'm interested, too in playing again. All the exercises have their own tempo don't they? Should you always play an exercise to the exact speed that is notated or can you break it into sections and practice each at lower speeds? Are these lessons in learning/controlling speed? And when should you turn to a metronome in your practice? I never used it much but if it's a good idea to use it on a daily basis I could try that.
In my edition of Sagreras the tempo is not indicated. Do I miss something? That would help me a lot!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”