Giulio Regondi

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Philip Altobelli

Giulio Regondi

Post by Philip Altobelli » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:12 am

I have been playing "Fete Villageiouse" by Regondi and it is easily becoming one of my favorite pieces from the late classical/romantic era. I'm using Simon Wynbergs edition, his historical notes are great but his editorial notes are a bit screwed up (page numbers seem to be misplaced in his corrections section). I have found a number of incorrect notes in the score that he completely over looked. I also did a search and theres barely anything on this great composer. Shall we dedicate this thread to him? Considering Sor has one we might as well show some appreciation for Regondi. Please feel free to discuss any repertoire you have played by him, experiences, etc.

Praeludium

Re: Giulio Regondi

Post by Praeludium » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 pm

It's "Fête Villageoise", I think (:

I like Regondi but I'm under the impression that, like most of his peers at this time, he was stuck to writing pretty and easy (to the ear ^^') salon music. Masterfully written, really, but still.
I just looked, he's born the same year as César Franck (1822). I wish he had written a similar kind of music ! Extremely difficult but no meant to showcase technique.

Anyway, I like his compositions the way they're. Apart from Starobin's recording, have you any idea if there are been historically informer recordings of his music ? (I love romantic guitar's tone)

I hope we'll keep discovering guitar pieces by him. A sonata would be cool.
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti

Daan Hoeksema

Post by Daan Hoeksema » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 am

I only have opus 19 - 23.

Will look for more of his music.

Daan
Het veulen dat haar moeder naar de slacht zag gaan. "Hou je taai mam".

Wagnersen

Post by Wagnersen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:20 am

Pavel Steidl has recorded one Cd on Naxos of Regondis caprices and his op.19 fantasia. All played on gut strings, on a 19th century guitar (or copy,I don't have the CD in front of me). Worth checking out...

Fabio Rizza

Post by Fabio Rizza » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:36 am

Wagnersen wrote:Pavel Steidl has recorded one Cd on Naxos of Regondis caprices and his op.19 fantasia. All played on gut strings, on a 19th century guitar (or copy,I don't have the CD in front of me). Worth checking out...
Legnani, not Regondi.

Wagnersen

Post by Wagnersen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 am

Ops! Sorry! Keep mixing these two,don't know why...

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 am

Praeludium wrote:It's "Fête Villageoise", I think (:

I like Regondi but I'm under the impression that, like most of his peers at this time, he was stuck to writing pretty and easy (to the ear ^^') salon music. Masterfully written, really, but still.
I just looked, he's born the same year as César Franck (1822). I wish he had written a similar kind of music ! Extremely difficult but no meant to showcase technique.

Anyway, I like his compositions the way they're. Apart from Starobin's recording, have you any idea if there are been historically informer recordings of his music ? (I love romantic guitar's tone)

I hope we'll keep discovering guitar pieces by him. A sonata would be cool.
Thanks for the correction, didn't have the score in front of me. :D
Edoardo Catemario has a CD with a few pieces of Regondi on it, He uses a 19th century (one of the best players to perform on one, in my opinion). On a few of his CDs he uses Giuliani's actual guitar, reconstructed of course, it sounds beautiful. I suggest finding the Regondi CD of his, it has Legnani, Giuliani and a few others on there- he plays historically accurate also.

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm

It's amazing, Sor has more of an active thread. This is either truly sad or I must have put it in the wrong section, I hope it's the latter but somehow I feel it's the former.

Praeludium

Post by Praeludium » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for the CD advice.

I do not think people don't care about Regondi. I'm under the impression he's becoming increasingly popular. You can find a lot of videos of his Introduction et Caprice on YouTube, including performance by Marcyn Dylla and Gabriel Bianco (and certainly others but that the two last I saw). I'm sure many young students in conservatories play Regondi - if they can do it technically.... It wasn't rediscovered very long ago after all, so I guess it's normal if it takes a little bit of time to be considered standard repertoire (honnestly, I don't want those few Regondi pieces to be over played and become old warhorses, so the way his music his perceived now is fine for me).
We shouldn't forget that we've got only a few works from him and dozens of opus dedicated to guitar by Sor. A lot of Sor's music is also much more accessible to amateurs, and since almost all guitarists play at least one of his etudes at some point, he's really quite well known.
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:56 am

I have a Naxos CD by Ricardo Gallen playing Regondi and Mertz. It's worth checking out.

The Regondi pieces are:

Aire Varie No 1, Op. 21
Reverie (Nocturne) Op. 19
Etude No 4b
Aire Varie No. 2 Op. 22

I was introduced to Regondi about 3-4 years ago. It think it was Xuefei Yang in concert playing the Reverie. I found the piece totally enchanting.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 am

Praeludium wrote:Thanks for the CD advice.

I do not think people don't care about Regondi. I'm under the impression he's becoming increasingly popular. You can find a lot of videos of his Introduction et Caprice on YouTube, including performance by Marcyn Dylla and Gabriel Bianco (and certainly others but that the two last I saw). I'm sure many young students in conservatories play Regondi - if they can do it technically.... It wasn't rediscovered very long ago after all, so I guess it's normal if it takes a little bit of time to be considered standard repertoire (honnestly, I don't want those few Regondi pieces to be over played and become old warhorses, so the way his music his perceived now is fine for me).
We shouldn't forget that we've got only a few works from him and dozens of opus dedicated to guitar by Sor. A lot of Sor's music is also much more accessible to amateurs, and since almost all guitarists play at least one of his etudes at some point, he's really quite well known.
Quality not quantity my friend. Though I do agree with the "old warhorse" comment.
:chaud:

Praeludium

Post by Praeludium » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Don't you think that Sor's music is of amazing quality ? It only lacks ambition, like seemingly all the music written for guitar in the XIXth century.

- Ligeti

Philip Altobelli

Post by Philip Altobelli » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Praeludium wrote:Don't you think that Sor's music is of amazing quality ? It only lacks ambition, like seemingly all the music written for guitar in the XIXth century.
I never said Sor's music wasn't of amazing quality, that is a whole new discussion in and of itself. I was referring to the quality of Regondi's music, rather then have a 100 mediocre pieces I rather we have the few superb pieces that are available.

theknowle

Post by theknowle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 am

I have managed to learn his Introduction and Caprice. I really love the piece but I'm not really sure whether it's worth the candle - a lot of really hard work for an ageing amateur player! The end result is delightful (on a good day) yet, frankly, a rather trivial bagatelle - or am I being too cynical?

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 am

wow that is my goal......

Can you play Etude # 1?

fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011
Yamaha CG192S

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”