Do you wonder ever if it's all worth it?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
glassynails

Re: Do you wonder ever if it's all worth it?

Post by glassynails » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:30 pm

alex78 wrote:Whenever I'm asking myself whether I'm spending too much time on CG, I remember myself of what I used to do before I started CG: mostly watching TV and surfing the internet for hours. CG seems to the better choice. I am not being passive anymore but can be active and creative.
That's true.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 am

Hello glassy,

I haven't been playing as long as you have, but have already had encounters with the motivation issues. The difficult part is that there are so many wonderful pieces to learn that have already been played so beautifully, that in all honesty the great majority of us will never achieve those standards. Therefore, cut yourself some slack and enjoy the ride, as one of the previous commentators advised.

Another option, which I have been exploring and which I believe Lucy above mentioned, is to find a society/group/junior college or whatever where other guitarists meet, and play for and with them. My local junior college has on ongoing class for ensemble classical guitar which has been a really positive experience. I have met others with whom I can "jam," so to speak, and found that some of the classical guitar repertoire has been arranged for duets, trios, etc. It can be a lot of fun, plus the built in motivation due to the responsibility of holding up your end of the performance keeps you focused. One of my favorite forms played on classical guitars is flamenco, and its main attraction is that in its purist form it is an ensemble experience. The player can contribute positively even when they aren't Vicente Amigo. At least it's not a lonely enterprise.

Just my two cents worth,

P de V :casque:

80guitarguy

Post by 80guitarguy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:13 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Jersey Devil,

Someone famous said, "Discipline is the other side of freedom."
Really love this. After doing everything in life BUT play the guitar, I definitely think it's worth it. To me it feels like I've won the lottery to be able to sit on a lonely park bench and fill it with beautiful music, not needing anything else from life. People come and go, cars drive back and forth, but how many of us can just be still and find joy?
80guitarguy
Ramirez 130 Años Cedar
Savarez 500CR NT
============================================================

Ancient

Post by Ancient » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:26 am

Sometimes I hit a Dead End with my classic guitar,I just change directions and get out my mandolin or uke and play them for awhile. Don't take things so seriously. In a day or two things will get better.

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 am

I wonder that every day. :)
1994 Manuel G. Contreras 1A Spruce/MRW
1975 Manouk Papazian
Richard Brune - 30C

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 pm

Just have two hobbies like me CG n model airplanes. During the summer n spring I just concentrate on pieces that I learned over the winter.
life is even better with two hobbies.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

Jose Ramon Martinez
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jose Ramon Martinez » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:44 pm

I totally agree with those persons who consider learning a new musical piece like a road that goes through forest, mountains, next to the sea... there are a lot of things to enjoy during while traveling and driving to our destination. Guitar is just like that, we must enjoy every single note we play, I we're not playing for living, we should enjoy the learning process as much as playing the whole piece... It's about playing the guitar, not about learning tons of pieces.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:17 pm

I just read a great book called Effortless Mastery. It hits a lot of the themes raised here, mainly to let go of expectations, get in "the space" and just play. It is really a meditation to block out your subconscious and id asking you things like "is it worth it?" or "will I ever learn that piece?" I recommend it to everyone who sometimes struggles with this question, like I do, or who is just looking for something more positive to do besides watch TV.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Don Goreham

Post by Don Goreham » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm curious if you play any other forms of guitar? Maybe just a change in style might help you out.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:20 am

From the change in your signature, you're clearly asking yourself that question ...

For me, the enjoyment is immediate, in the moment, when I play something 'perfectly' or get a different beautiful tone from the instrument. I don't play for friends a whole lot, but when I do their enthusiasm is slightly gratifying.

My cat seems to like it.

I haven't played in public for many a long year. But I never wonder if it's worth it ... I couldn't live without it.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're YT work is crappy ... I'll be watching that signature!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho

slewis

Post by slewis » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:13 am

hey,

nice post.

i'm 60 and have only flirted with cg over the decades, but what i have noticed (having devoted much of my life to teaching and to mathematics with some success and some fulfillment) is that as long as i keep learning stuff, i'm ok.

the good news there, is that there is always something to learn. the bad news (maybe not SO bad) is one must be content to "die on the road." there is no end goal. as soon as i meet someone (typically a recently minted ph.d.) who thinks they've "made it," i'm saying to myself, "self, this person is going nowhere." (we call them "stillborn" ph.d.'s)

on the side, from my humble vantage point in cg, i notice many similarities with mathematics, not the least of which is that one must be really bad at it for a really long time before one gets to really enjoy it.

so, enjoy the view from up there (i like your pieces on you tube) and keep learning stuff.

cheers,

s.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm

glassynails wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:28 am
Like I said the answer to me is to find pieces that I want in my rep. that are easy enough to read through with not too much effort. A short list would be:

8. Barrios - La Catedral
La Catedral easy enough? Wow, I think you can pick up and play _anything_ if Allegro Solemne is easy for you. For some people playing this well and clean is the ultimate CG dream...
Cordoba C9

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Yes it was! Yest it is!
Lots of satisfaction from Music!
fun, inspiration, playing great composers, meeting nice people, creating a lot of stuff - yes loved it all!

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi Glassy, I think it may just be a matter of perspective. I tell all my students that the goal of musical learning is always the exercise of compassion. The artistic experience is, I would say, the most direct way of communicating one's compassion for another. The arts, as I am sure you know, are the only real things we have to present as gifts to one another. So, to answer your question as to whether it is worth it, well, yes! Absolutely. But don't make your goal learning music. Make your goal sharing your experiences and compassion with others through performance. Get out there and play for others, in whatever forum is available, and share those wonderful gifts. The giving of those gifts is important, but the gratitude you will receive will provide all the necessary feedback to make it worthwhile to you.

I might also encourage you to build a program around a few pieces that project some general idea, like water (rain, sea, flow). Really anything that can take you into an artistic perception rather than one that is based purely around the guitar. This will challenge you in new interesting ways.

Hope this helps.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm
glassynails wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:28 am
Like I said the answer to me is to find pieces that I want in my rep. that are easy enough to read through with not too much effort. A short list would be:

8. Barrios - La Catedral
La Catedral easy enough? Wow, I think you can pick up and play _anything_ if Allegro Solemne is easy for you. For some people playing this well and clean is the ultimate CG dream...
I was wondering too. Also about Ponce's Tres Canciones Populares Mexicanas being labeled as "fairly easy". I found particularly the third piece quite challenging. But don't bother, it's an old thread of glassy and he won't come back to it anyway.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”