Do you wonder ever if it's all worth it?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
acmost9

Re: Do you wonder ever if it's all worth it?

Post by acmost9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

I was wondering too. Also about Ponce's Tres Canciones Populares Mexicanas being labeled as "fairly easy". I found particularly the third piece quite challenging. But don't bother, it's an old thread of glassy and he won't come back to it anyway.
No kidding, the third piece...dang - it is dense as hell. One day I'll labor through it...maybe.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 am

acmost9 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:

I was wondering too. Also about Ponce's Tres Canciones Populares Mexicanas being labeled as "fairly easy". I found particularly the third piece quite challenging. But don't bother, it's an old thread of glassy and he won't come back to it anyway.
No kidding, the third piece...dang - it is dense as hell. One day I'll labor through it...maybe.
Yes, it's tough indeed. The second one is the longest but technically the easiest. Mysteriously I only play the first and the third. The second one never caught my attention despite its beauty.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Manuel Ramirez model, torrefied spruce/birds eye maple, 2018
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 am
acmost9 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:

Yes, it's tough indeed. The second one is the longest but technically the easiest. Mysteriously I only play the first and the third. The second one never caught my attention despite its beauty.
I 'play' 1 & 2 but I love 3, I should just get it over with and dive in there & flail away.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Glassy I havn't read the whole thread but what is the reason why you don't do live jobs?I have found over the years whether doing pop ,classical
whatever, is that one is going to have pieces that are self satisfying and pieces that are "cornie" from a musicians perspective.The challenging pieces keep you going,but learn to select pieces that you might not even enjoy but work for the "client" or audience.It depends on what market you are going for just like any business.Playing for tea parties background is better than not playing live gigs at all,dreaming of those BIG CONCERTS.I think just being a studio player and not live, can bring on this frustration that you currently feel.Unless you have very personal reasons for not playing live.I believe most of the pieces you show here must work.You don't have to lose any of the pieces just be selective and chose what you believe would work for a specific occasion. With the depth in repertoire you have I cant see any confidence problems,you need those pieces which you might not use live to maintain your standard and keep you dynamic mentally,just like any other discipline. :D :D

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Frustration that glassy CURRENTLY feels? Guys, this is a 4 1/2 years old thread. Since then the op changed his mind on the guitar probably several times. Please don't take this issue serious anymore.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 am

Well; you never know ,some folks might feel that way now, and this whole thread might just prove useful as encouragement to persevere.I cant help to think of "The Old Man Segovia". Gee talk about thundering on regardless!

Smith

Post by Smith » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Of course it is “worth it”.
I mean,really, what am I gonna do with my time, sit around and watch Matlock all day?
As a matter of fact I got rid of my TV ages ago and I have no time for pro sports or Netflix.
Yes, it is definitely worth it.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Do you wonder ever if it's all worth it?

Yes, often.

But then it provides a useful displacement activity instead the myriad of things I should be doing (renovating the house, doing the garden, etc, etc, etc) - so there is merit in it after all.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Definitely worth it, since it's how I've made my living for the last 5 decades, but also a daily renewal of life and love. Even with focal dystonia there is an enormous amount of beauty in music on the guitar.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

henders

Post by henders » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Yes, for me it’s not even a question. If I think in this way, it’s more along the lines of “thank god I have this/what would I do without it/how much longer can I keep it going before age or injury gets in the way” type thinking. We all have our own circumstances obviously. And I could have wondered something similar to OP at some point along the way I’m sure.

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:13 pm

“...enormous amount of beauty in music on the guitar”....ronjazz

Very well said. +1 . Beauty is worth it.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

It is quite touching, a 5-year-old thread still so relevant since everyone of us has had this feeling of desolation at some point. It is those days when we feel weak, when no progress is seemingly made, or it is too slow, or we are just emotionally and physically exhausted. I like Glassynails have on weekdays to practice late, when I should be resting, reading comfortably a book, or simply being lazy and watching TV. Yet I take my guitar and try to go through my "programme" for the day, a couple of studies or pieces and technique improvement. I had to do that in the last two years after having a huge lapse of 19 years totally neglecting the guitar, doing other things, some compulsory like work, some creative like my other love ancient history. Now that this option is not on any more I can devote my time, any time that is left to me, who knows how much, to my other love CG. Yes, I am perhaps not the most talented player in the world, I will most probably never make it to perform in a huge music hall or make recordings or whatever, but every time I take my guitar and sit to study I get enormous joy by the little improvement, the tiny advances in musicianship, at least as I perceive it. As other members have already mentioned, CG is a life-long encounter which usually does not have a discernible target, goal, end, whatever you will, plus it imposes so many obstacles and challenges that can easily overwhelm you. I have come to realize at the age of 50 that music is a pursuit that resembles a marathon rather than an 100 metre race, you have to go slowly and feel comfortable with your pace, achievement, regardless how efficient you think you are. At the same time this pursuit is a great teacher for life, I have learnt that no matter how awesome, dazzling or unsolvable a problem we face regarding CG may seem, there is always a solution to it as long as we are ALIVE, for life is all about learning to solve problems after all, death is problemless. So let us feel blessed that we can serve our art and feel lucky we are bestowed with such rich rewards every time we pick our guitars.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 am

Very well said, Nikos. Love your post.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Excellent post, Nikos! Thanks for reminding us!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 am

I'm relatively new to cg and notice the instrument has virtually endless possibilities. I don't have a teacher but do watch videos and "master classes" and own plenty of method books and when I do finally mater one element I become aware of how many other elements there are to cg. And that's what is so wonderful about the instrument...the challenge, if you will, the struggle to improve and grow and it's endless. I'm a routine kind of guy. It's something I learned while teaching special ed. students and working day-in-day- out for forty years. Like a prisoner in a cell only my cell was self imposed (loved teaching) but I did become accustomed to a routine.

So, since I'm retired, I play for three hours in the morning, eat lunch then work on projects for a few hours in the afternoons. When I start to lose interest, I've learned a valuable method to rejuvenate my playing: I compose my own pieces. I take time to hand write the little notes and music symbols, but only after I've made up a score/piece and played it many times and got it sounding good. I have no illusions there're good or even listenable (my young grandkids don't seems to notice) but it's just so much fun to make them up and I'm getting better-or so I think. Then I go back to my repertoire and the music I know sounds good and easier to play.

If you look at some of the most famous music (Greensleeves ex. ), you'll notice the music can be broken down to a simple melody. Someone originally made up the piece and it's my belief, dream if you will, to come up with another great, memorable piece/song. And I believe I will do it...it will come out naturally as I play around with the music composition...that's what makes playing so rewarding for me, the knowledge I will "discover" and write a great piece, played on the cg, that will become famous and remembered for as long as we have and enjoy music. See what I mean about maintaining your interest in playing cg. All cg players should try to write their own music, because you may really surprise yourself...you may be more creative than you think... especially if you have mastered difficult pieces and can play them. If you put that much work into playing cg and have that much talent you short change yourself if you're not writing your own pieces...and if nothing else, your love and interest in playing cg will improve.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”