Bad habits – what are yours?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
dng

Re: Bad habits – what are yours?

Post by dng » Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm

STMPS .....Starting too many pieces Syndrom
same here...

thanks for mentioning that...

I was wondering if it is a remnant of ADS... Attention Deficit Syndrome of my youth...

:D
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Kennethmarkhoover

Post by Kennethmarkhoover » Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Playing badly is my bad habit!

But my other bad habit is trying to play too fast. I have a tendency to rush because I know how the music should sound, instead of concentrating and playing each note well, no matter how slowly, so I can learn properly. That's a real problem I have always had. :(

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Starting to play a new piece without musical concept and hoping that it will come along the way. It never does!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 pm

You mean besides lurking on delcamp more often than I really have time for...??
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon May 12, 2014 10:16 pm

:grire:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

bear

Post by bear » Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 am

I play too fast. It's not something I do consciously. I'm usually have too much fun to focus.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue May 13, 2014 11:43 pm

bear wrote:I play too fast. It's not something I do consciously. I'm usually have too much fun to focus.
This is my biggest achilles heal. I have a theory that it is partly due to raised adrenalin levels when playing (especially is for an audience or recording, but even simply from the 'rush' of playing) and therefore causes a change in the perception of time, just like when you're in a car accident and things seem as they are going in slow motion. I think that is also why it's hard to notice that we are playing fast, since our brains are operating under the effects of adrenaline. To counter the effect I focus a lot on relaxing while playing (also helps with my other bad habit of pressing too hard and playing too hard in general).

Playing what seems to be really really slow and recording practice sessions helps me a lot with this too. Listening back I notice it's usually not so exaggeratedly slow.

And finally, I think we tend to practice things in a way that exacerbates this problem. The standard method of always practicing slow enough that we can play through it smoothly means we are continuously speeding up a piece as we can play it better. At some point I get to where I can play it really well (or at least easily) at correct tempo but the habit to take it to the edge of being difficult makes me push it faster. To compensate for this I try to have a more conscious approach to speeding up as I learn a piece (as opposed to just always pushing to play it faster as a work on it, I raise tempo in stages as the piece develops. More like stair stepping than a ramp).

That said it's also sometimes just fun to play stuff as crazy fast as you can...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 am

Wrong placement of my LH thumb, makes my LH unstable with difficult pieces. Broken i/m alternation.
What I do about it: need to be constantly aware of both things when learning a new piece and that works to some extent.

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Wed May 14, 2014 4:53 pm

I have many bad habits, but the 2 of most current concern are bowing my left wrist too much, and plucking the strings with too much flesh.
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

bear

Post by bear » Wed May 14, 2014 5:01 pm

robin loops wrote:
bear wrote:I play too fast. It's not something I do consciously. I'm usually have too much fun to focus.
This is my biggest achilles heal. I have a theory that it is partly due to raised adrenalin levels when playing (especially is for an audience or recording, but even simply from the 'rush' of playing) and therefore causes a change in the perception of time, just like when you're in a car accident and things seem as they are going in slow motion. I think that is also why it's hard to notice that we are playing fast, since our brains are operating under the effects of adrenaline. To counter the effect I focus a lot on relaxing while playing (also helps with my other bad habit of pressing too hard and playing too hard in general).

Playing what seems to be really really slow and recording practice sessions helps me a lot with this too. Listening back I notice it's usually not so exaggeratedly slow.

And finally, I think we tend to practice things in a way that exacerbates this problem. The standard method of always practicing slow enough that we can play through it smoothly means we are continuously speeding up a piece as we can play it better. At some point I get to where I can play it really well (or at least easily) at correct tempo but the habit to take it to the edge of being difficult makes me push it faster. To compensate for this I try to have a more conscious approach to speeding up as I learn a piece (as opposed to just always pushing to play it faster as a work on it, I raise tempo in stages as the piece develops. More like stair stepping than a ramp).

That said it's also sometimes just fun to play stuff as crazy fast as you can...
I don't normally play in public(I think there's a restraining order). Playing is a kind of meditation, I can put everything else out of my mind, it's my Tai Chi. I lose all sense of time and apparently tempo as well.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

kelidj

Post by kelidj » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 pm

I recently took few classes with a teacher after practicing on my own for many years. I learned that I have quite a few bad habits I need to correct. One of them is proper finger preparation or finger planting. Another one is unfocused practice methods.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:38 pm

If I make a mistake while performing publicly, it shows in my facial expression. I'll wince or smirk. I try not to do it, but I have an expressive face. :?

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Letting things lapse to the point where I have to re-discover that practicing is a good thing to do.

allenmathews

Post by allenmathews » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Definitely the internet. And sometimes my caffeine intake interferes with my focus.

rogerleec

Post by rogerleec » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Not getting the fingers on my right hand to land on the strings in the correct position to do a free stroke.
I slow down and practice arpeggios, making sure the fingers land correctly on the strings before plucking them.
Roger Christiansen

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”