Bad habits – what are yours?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Stefan Srećković

Re: Bad habits – what are yours?

Post by Stefan Srećković » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Rubato-ing a difficult passage.

partingofsensory

Post by partingofsensory » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 pm

I'd love to know who else struggles with this: For me, I'm very inconsistent in my practicing. I'll set goals for myself to practice anywhere from 1 to 3 hours a day, X amount of days a week, and I may do that the first day or two, but then maybe only practice 1 to 3 hours for the entire next week, haha. I don't know if my time management is bad or what, but I often imagine how good I could be if I put even just one solid hour in every day...

hcorbett

Post by hcorbett » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:55 am

I tend to twist my torso to the left when I'm playing music I don't know very well (nervous habit of looking at my left hand? Probably), I sometimes produce barre chords via pressure perpendicular to the fretboard instead of the 'correct' downward pull at~45 deg, I get lots of weird tension in my a and c fingers when playing quick triple-stops, and sometimes my playing is too locked-in to my emotional state (i.e., if I'm having a bad day, my playing suffers and sometimes I'll skip practicing all together).

Also, I usually squeeze the toothpaste tube from the nozzle end.

hcorbett

Post by hcorbett » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:58 am

partingofsensory wrote:I'd love to know who else struggles with this: For me, I'm very inconsistent in my practicing. I'll set goals for myself to practice anywhere from 1 to 3 hours a day, X amount of days a week, and I may do that the first day or two, but then maybe only practice 1 to 3 hours for the entire next week, haha. I don't know if my time management is bad or what, but I often imagine how good I could be if I put even just one solid hour in every day...
Consistency is huge. I practiced like this for 10 years before getting consistent in my practice schedule - setting aside a regular, specific time each day (usually with one off/recovery day sprinkled in on sundays) made an *enormous* difference in my playing. Of course, a huge part of being able to get consistent practice was graduating college and having a more flexible schedule to work with in the first place...

mrb

Post by mrb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:06 am

1. Learning too many pieces at once.
2. Not having an organized practice regime (don't do enough technical excercises)
3. Inconsistent tempo (metronome helps)
4. Persevering with pieces which are beyond my capabilities

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 am

I wish I had Peter's bad habit ... my better half put her foot down at 3 guitars ... and she's got a grand piano she doesn't play ...

petermc61 wrote:Buying guitars I shouldn't and then getting in trouble with my better half.

As far as bad playing habits are concerned, mine are legion ... inter alia not concentrating while I'm playing, muscle memory ('Zombies') carrying me through

Anyone else get through familiar pieces while your mind's somewhere else?
Anyone else think Fakebook has done enough damage yet?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:53 am

Contreras wrote:I wish I had Peter's bad habit ... my better half put her foot down at 3 guitars ... and she's got a grand piano she doesn't play ...

petermc61 wrote:Buying guitars I shouldn't and then getting in trouble with my better half.
So did mine, at about 5-6. I have been 'living on the edge' ever since... :-)

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:06 am

petermc61 wrote:
Contreras wrote:I wish I had Peter's bad habit ... my better half put her foot down at 3 guitars ... and she's got a grand piano she doesn't play ...

So did mine, at about 5-6. I have been 'living on the edge' ever since... :-)

HaHa ... maybe I should live dangerously too

(Hope we meet one day, Peter ... either over guitars or wine ...)
Anyone else think Fakebook has done enough damage yet?

frank0478

Post by frank0478 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:09 pm

same as kervoas, sigh!

montana

Post by montana » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:32 pm

mrb wrote:1. Learning too many pieces at once.
2. Not having an organized practice regime (don't do enough technical excercises)
3. Inconsistent tempo (metronome helps)
4. Persevering with pieces which are beyond my capabilities
Ditto......all of these feed my worst habit....too much pressure on my fretting hand.

Arkansan

Post by Arkansan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:19 am

My worst habit is my right hand. It starts off pretty good. Then it turns into the claw through out the peace.

Samuel

Post by Samuel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:35 am

Cut note. I always accidentally cut certain notes especially before transit to the next difficult finger positioning. And also right hand touching the vibrating string on next strum, producing unwanted sound.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am

Learning pieces far beyond my level and then spending countless hours on difficult fragments (and not playing them slowly enough).
Cordoba C9

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Leaving my strings on way too long. But I like the sound of played in strings.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 pm

So did mine, at about 5-6. I have been 'living on the edge' ever since..
Would that be 5-6 rooms full ? No wonder you're living on the edge: there's probably

no room in the centre. :wink:

:D
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”