D02 Classical guitar lesson 09

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Colin - well said. I can't wait until I get to the point that anything with classical guitar comes more naturally. :D

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 am

Here's another attempt... Not much improvement. I'm done with this one.
Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 am

beep
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Tom - I thought it was well done. It will be mid to late summer before I will feel comfortable posting a version of this.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:51 pm

:merci: Thanks Ed.

Please excuse the tantrum, I let pride/ego get out in front of good judgement.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:02 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 am
I agree with Ed, this is better than you think.
It’s not unusual to plateau, as its called, after a period of intense study. The brain gets used to the piece and gets bored, after a break you will often find that the brain has consolidated what you learnt. Play some other pieces and try it again in about a week.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:02 am
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
It’s not unusual to plateau, as its called, after a period of intense study. The brain gets used to the piece and gets bored, after a break you will often find that the brain has consolidated what you learnt. Play some other pieces and try it again in about a week.
Colin, I have been perusing this board over the last few weeks to become more familiar with it. I will be starting D01 in the Fall, but have started to work my way through some of the pieces. I have tended to practice one piece "to death" until I sort of get it, believing that if I keep hacking away at it non-stop, I will get it where I want it. But I have come to realize that after a certain point, I reach the law of diminishing returns vis-a-vis that particular piece, and so persevering with playing only that piece to try and perfect it (on video), is counterproductive.

I intend to heed your advice and practice other pieces and revisit the piece I am focused on, a few days later. I am coming to realize that, as you point out, there is some subconscious consolidation, and after taking a break, the performance results should be better.

Valuable advice. Thank you.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 pm
Colin Bullock wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:02 am
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Colin, I have been perusing this board over the last few weeks to become more familiar with it. I will be starting D01 in the Fall, but have started to work my way through some of the pieces. I have tended to practice one piece "to death" until I sort of get it, believing that if I keep hacking away at it non-stop, I will get it where I want it. But I have come to realize that after a certain point, I reach the law of diminishing returns vis-a-vis that particular piece, and so persevering with playing only that piece to try and perfect it (on video), is counterproductive.

I intend to heed your advice and practice other pieces and revisit the piece I am focused on, a few days later. I am coming to realize that, as you point out, there is some subconscious consolidation, and after taking a break, the performance results should be better.

Valuable advice. Thank you.
The above writeup pretty much expresses what I've been doing. The brain says "I've had enough", but I don't get the message... Thanks for the inputs (Ed, Colin, Judy). :merci:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Tom -quick question. Are you playing with your nails? I am having a very hard time growing and maintaining my nails, they keep splitting. So I have cut them way down, using a nail strengthener and for now, not using nails while I am playing. Sound is not as good.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Hi Tom -quick question. Are you playing with your nails? I am having a very hard time growing and maintaining my nails, they keep splitting. So I have cut them way down, using a nail strengthener and for now, not using nails while I am playing. Sound is not as good.

Ed
Hi Ed. Yes, I play using my nails, and welcome to the club. I was having a very hard time with mine as well, splitting and curling downward at the ends. I tried super glue and all forms of reinforcement with no luck.

My wife suggested I try a nail salon (the one she goes to). After a couple of pokes from her, I finally worked up the nerve to go there. I highly recommend you give them a try. I did not feel comfortable there at first, but they have eliminated the problem. I've been doing this since February of this year. See below:
2018-02-10%2009_43_00.jpg
An acrylic resin was used to make the repair. It was "painted on" and filed and sanded to shape. The transparent portion of the my nails in the photo is the resin. This repair lasts until it grows out, you just go back and they'll redo them. And it's durable too. If you do happen to crack or break them they'll get you in and get you fixed up pronto. No more "my playing will be crummy until it grows out". Nail salons deal with this sort of thing all the time.

I know what you are thinking.... I felt the same way. Try an early morning appointment, that's what I did. Remember: they deal with nail problems every day. They'll fix you up and you'll never have trouble again. Be sure and get a referral (spouse, neighbor, sibling) then give them a try. I think you will be glad you did. $10 (plus tip) per month will probably do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi Tom - you have sold me. I will make an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks

ED

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks

ED
Great Ed. You're a better man than I. It took my wife two or three times, pestering me, to get me to go. Let me know how things work out!
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:22 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks

ED
As well as trying this you might want to look at how you treat your nails.
Nails absorb water which softens them, so don’t play immediately after dishwashing etc. You can protect them with thin layer of petroleum jelly (vaseline) and using a hand cream can help moisturise them. Nail oils often use sunflower or olive oil and jojoba oil (apparently small molecules which penetrate). Also, if you use an emery board or metal file remember to file from outer edge in, otherwise you fray the edge of the nail weakening it and allowing moisture in, crystal files can be used any direction as they seal the edge.
Remember any lacquer or polish remover will remove natural oils so replace them.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

HI Colin - thanks for the advice. I think as I get older the nails get more brittle. It is funny that it seems like only my middle finger is the one splitting. I have cut it all the way back, and I am treating it daily, so hopefully the next growth will be better.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Ed, Happy 4th of July to you! !!!! :bye:
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”