D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 am

Here are my final submissions for Lesson 01! Looking forward to seeing everyone at Lesson 02.

Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 am

Greetings All,
I'm having some difficulty with the youtube videos. They keep stopping within seconds of beginning. Everyone looks so relaxed and comfortable. Thank you for posting.
Also, I noticed that several people played different songs. Do we chose the which page to post?

Thanks Much!
Cheers!
Marlene

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 am

Hello Marlene
All assigned pieces should be diligently practiced, but only a select few need to be posted and that is stated at the start of each lesson. Some people post other pieces, normally because they are seeking feedback which is a primary strength of these lessons, but it is hardly required.
The issues you are having playing the youtube videos must be unique to you. A slow internet connection perhaps?
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:00 pm
Regarding creeping/dangling thumb:
Generally speaking, maybe ~> 90% of the time one could be playing passages or phrases whereby the fretting fingers are curled, the thumb is near the middle of the guitar neck on the back-side, and the thumb and middle finger form a C-shape sandwich with the guitar fretboard and neck in-between.

The fretting wrist and forearm form a straight line for maximum comfort, the fretting wrist is not bent which can cause strain when its bent, you want to avoid that.

Now, try and fret a D major chord in first position and attempt to maintain all of the typical posture notes for the fretting hand while keeping the thumb in the middle of the neck.
My guess is that you will have to bend your wrist, feel discomfort, extra strain etc if you want to try and keep the thumb in the middle of the neck.

In order to fret the D major chord and keep the forearm and wrist straight for maximum comfort you will have to relax and allow the thumb to move away from the middle area of the neck and probably somewhere between middle of the neck and the edge.

When the thumb is in this location, sometimes at an angle the upper edge of the thumb may be seen by an observer from some angles, but the entire first joint of the thumb is not coming over the edge poking out like a finger puppet :-)
In this kind of scenario, there's nothing to worry about, its a natural adjustment.

However, if the thumb is not anchored somewhere on the back of the neck and is entirely exposed/free, it could be an indication that the rest of the hand is not positioned and holding the neck correctly, if one is trying to play a barre chord, there will likely be lots of buzz, incorrect application of pressure etc..

Because of the size and width of the classical guitar neck, its just not practical to use a technique that you find in blues, rock, or rag-time styles on smaller/thinner guitar necks where the thumb is extremely exposed and used as a fretting mechanism for bass-lines while the other fingers do other chord progressions.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

John Montes wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 am
Extremely informative! I am lucky my thumb moves so freely, it didn't come overnight.. My dad struggles with leaving his thumb up in the air, like you describe. It really limits his range of motion.

I learned to move my thumb around from lots of playing! (blues, mind you) Also I think I practiced scales pretty early on, I found those helpful in developing technique in both hands.. Probably true for all types of music.
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

-edit- accidental double post :desole:
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi,all.
Late joiner trying to catch up lessons. I've been self-taught for 8 months now. Sadly, I never practiced rest stroke and damping before. This method does make all sense with Dr. DelCamp's pedagogical posture. I love the way he put his lesson demos. Here are my 3 submissions requested. Let me know what you think. Good day all.

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING

OLD MACDONALD

IL EST MINUIT
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez - Cedar
Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation - Cedar
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:45 pm
Hi,all.
Late joiner trying to catch up lessons. I've been self-taught for 8 months now. Sadly, I never practiced rest stroke and damping before. This method does make all sense with Dr. DelCamp's pedagogical posture. I love the way he put his lesson demos. Here are my 3 submissions requested. Let me know what you think. Good day all.
Welcome to the lessons Kim.
Overall you seem to be doing quite well. You have good posture, both your left hand and right hand approaches appear to be good, and you seem relaxed.
It may be the camera angle but I have a sense that your right thumb may be too close to the fingers. You do want to ensure the strokes from thumb and fingers do not interfere with each other. This will become more important when you need to execute concurrent strokes. I also have a sense that your finger tips are not fully relaxed, but I could be wrong.
You are of course starting quite late, but given that your overall approach looks sound you should be able to proceed at an advanced pace, but don't do it at the expense of glossing over anything.
Good luck.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 am
Welcome to the lessons Kim.
Overall you seem to be doing quite well. You have good posture, both your left hand and right hand approaches appear to be good, and you seem relaxed.
It may be the camera angle but I have a sense that your right thumb may be too close to the fingers. You do want to ensure the strokes from thumb and fingers do not interfere with each other. This will become more important when you need to execute concurrent strokes. I also have a sense that your finger tips are not fully relaxed, but I could be wrong.
You are of course starting quite late, but given that your overall approach looks sound you should be able to proceed at an advanced pace, but don't do it at the expense of glossing over anything.
Good luck.
Thank you for very detailed feedback, Jules. You are right on my thumb. It might be too close to index finger. Luckily, they don't clash each other yet. I was surprised too that I looked relaxed, lol. Truth is both arms have tennis elbows. It is quite annoying and made me practice less than 1 hour every day. Changed all the strings from high tension to medium. I wish I can relax my finger well with rest stroke. Since it is new technic, this gave me tensions all over my body. Nevertheless, I'll try to catch up fast👍.
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 am
Truth is both arms have tennis elbows. It is quite annoying and made me practice less than 1 hour every day. Changed all the strings from high tension to medium. I wish I can relax my finger well with rest stroke. Since it is new technic, this gave me tensions all over my body. Nevertheless, I'll try to catch up fast👍.
Ken, I recommend you give self-massage a try for your tennis elbow. I find percussive techniques to be highly effective for releasing tension. Try just giving your forearms some karate chops, and then stretch, you will feel silly at first but do it when no one is looking, it could help significantly relieve what you've got going on if it's a tension thing. Try to listen to your body, if the tissues are aggravated they need attention.

As a high tension person, tension and muscle knots can actually be totally debilitating. I have learned to really rely on massage a lot to help loosen up when I'm feeling tight. Helps my playing a lot but everything else too :)

Apologies if this is maybe slightly off-topic for the forum but I used to have pretty serious issues with my wrists due to tension so I could empathize and I wanted to share what has been working so well for me. Massage and stretch and limiting overuse.
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 am

I won some ping pong balls once at an office party, and with nowhere else to put them I stuffed them into my front pockets. I forgot about it until I saw a lady staring at me on the bus and I realized she was looking at the odd looking bulge in my pockets. To put her mind at ease I explained "Ping Pong Balls". Her curiosity however was replaced by sympathy as she replied "You poor thing. My husband complains of tennis elbows, but your condition sounds far more painful."

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 am
:lol: Too funny Jules!
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 am

Hello all,

I just wanted to make a small introduction. I have just discovered and joined this site. I realize I am very late in the game to be joining the lessons at this point but I wanted to get a start. I have tinkered with classical guitar for a number of years and for two different periods of time I have had instructors. Despite my efforts I have never really progressed past what I would describe as an advanced beginner, I am hoping to change that this go round. I doubt that I will be able to advance far enough through level one to challenge the exam however my real goal is to join either level two or three after working through the summer. I will post the previously lessons as I am able to complete them and I hope that I have something useful to add to the conversations. My first submissions will likely be audio only since I am already set up to record and I hope to incorporate video in a short time.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you,

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:19 pm

MikeTaylor wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 am
Hello all,

I just wanted to make a small introduction. I have just discovered and joined this site. I realize I am very late in the game to be joining the lessons at this point but I wanted to get a start. I have tinkered with classical guitar for a number of years and for two different periods of time I have had instructors. Despite my efforts I have never really progressed past what I would describe as an advanced beginner, I am hoping to change that this go round. I doubt that I will be able to advance far enough through level one to challenge the exam however my real goal is to join either level two or three after working through the summer. I will post the previously lessons as I am able to complete them and I hope that I have something useful to add to the conversations. My first submissions will likely be audio only since I am already set up to record and I hope to incorporate video in a short time.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you,

Mike
Very Welcome, Mike.
I am late joiner too. I'm sure you will catch up on pretty soon since you played years. Glad to see another student come along. Hope you satisfy with Maestro Delcamp's method.
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 am

Hello,

I have attached audio files of my submissions for the first lesson. I have begun working on lesson two and hope to have recordings posted by the end of the week. I do not anticipate being able to prepare video recordings until at least next week so maybe by the time I get to lesson three. I look forward to any comments that you may have.

Thanks,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”