D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am

Hi all.
I took this course about five years ago and barely squeaked through the exam. At the time I felt as though I was getting worse instead of better so I quit. I am going to try to continue on now. I know I am getting started very late but I'm not so concerned with taking the exam again as with getting back into the routine of regular practice and working through this material in prep to take d04 next year.

Best regards.
Bob G.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

OOPS. Double post. I was just trying to make a small edit to my previous post and it came out as a new post. Anyway, I just wanted to add that I am 75 years old now and a bit slower at learning but I'll do my best.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am
I'm not so concerned with taking the exam again
Just for everyone’s info, retaking of exams is not allowed, one try only. So it’s worth being sure that you are ok with your standard of playing if you want more than a basic pass. Of course, moving on to the next stage is not dependent on passing the previous grade.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am
Robert Goodwin wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am
I'm not so concerned with taking the exam again
Just for everyone’s info, retaking of exams is not allowed, one try only. So it’s worth being sure that you are ok with your standard of playing if you want more than a basic pass. Of course, moving on to the next stage is not dependent on passing the previous grade.
Thanks for pointing that out about second tries. I didn't know.

I appreciate being allowed to participate in the course anyway since I am 'very out of practice'. I'm finding that with no pressure to perform, it's easier to slow down and work out each piece without getting frustrated and trying to rush through to meet a deadline. Overall, progress is actually faster this way.

On a separate subject, I would like to hear contemporary thinking about fingering notations. I find the fingering for Schiarazula to feel awkward. It may be because I have somewhat smaller hands (7" span between spread thumb and pinky). Where it calls for starting m-a-m-a-m I find the opposite (a-m-a-m-a) to feel natural and I have to fight myself to follow the score.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”