D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 am

Pg.59 #18 CCCCCCCC made me gone crazy and I am still not familiar with this technic. I Left 1 skill to keep practicing till I get it right.
Here are my 4 submissions. Any feedback will be appreciated.

C Major

Practice No.20

Jig

LA TETE BIZARDE
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez, Torres, C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Much better camera angle. I can now state with somewhat greater confidence that your right hand positioning is not ideal (but hardly terrible either, so please don't misunderstand me). My sense is that your hand is generally a bit too far back from the strings and that your thumb strokes towards your fingers where it results in interference. Alas I am hardly a qualified teacher so rather than sounding definitive I direct you here: https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/r ... al-guitar/. I recommend you view the videos on the right hand and especially on the thumb position and the execution of the strokes and then evaluate yourself. If I am correctly interpreting what I see then this will have you making some small but important adjustments in your right hand. What you are doing certainly manages to play the assigned pieces, but if my observation has any merit then the sooner it is corrected the better it will be for you.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm
Much better camera angle. I can now state with somewhat greater confidence that your right hand positioning is not ideal (but hardly terrible either, so please don't misunderstand me). My sense is that your hand is generally a bit too far back from the strings and that your thumb strokes towards your fingers where it results in interference. Alas I am hardly a qualified teacher so rather than sounding definitive I direct you here: https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/r ... al-guitar/.
Thank you again for sincere advice, Jules. As you mentioned about my thumb, I'll try to reposition my knuckle angle from strings to let free my thumb.
I've finished Bradford Werner(www.thisisclassicalguitar.com)book #1 and was practicing some on #2 book before I find Delcamp online lesson. I've been following his method and very regreted I have. He has useful infos but hardly can't compare to Delcamp resources. He barely uses rest strokes himself and no dampening mentioned any in both books. My posture is based on his pedagogy but not sure about his method any more. Your opinion is greatly appreciated, Jules.
Now, I'm stuck with pg.59 exercises and my thumb position.
01-03 submissions will be a week or 2 later.
Ken

La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 am
Hi Kim,
Welcome to the online lessons, you are doing well, keep it up.

I also occasionally point D01 students to the Bradford Werner videos related to basic right and left positioning, thumb, holding the guitar etc.. they can go into much greater depth and varied camera angles for those subjects.

Right Hand Thumb position - Bradford Werner
Right Hand Thumb position - Gohar Vardanyan
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in. I took a break for a little while. I tend to get bored and switch gears a lot, musically speaking.

I'm going to start back up by reviewing over the materials from the beginning so it might be a little before I post these videos.

Just wanted to drop an update post because I'm a little paranoid about being removed from the forum for lack of participation.

P.S. Ken that guitar has a lovely sound. Which one is it?
Working on: D01- Lessons 1-3

Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ27N

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:08 pm
P.S. Ken that guitar has a lovely sound. Which one is it?
Hi, Christopher.
Be patient and let's try to catch up lessons together. BTW, it is Cordoba Torres. Hopely, try hard not to lose your track. I look forward to see your submissions.
Ken

La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm
let's try to catch up lessons together.

Cordoba Torres.
Sounds like a plan, I will try to catch up to you Ken.

Where are you at in the lessons now?

After googling the guitar, no wonder it sounds so nice!

Costs quite a bit more than my entire collection. What an awesome piece! I look forward to hearing it more.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Sounds like a plan, I will try to catch up to you Ken.

Where are you at in the lessons now?

After googling the guitar, no wonder it sounds so nice!

Costs quite a bit more than my entire collection. What an awesome piece! I look forward to hearing it more.
I'm about to post D01-03 Submissions. I thought pg.59 excercises might make me stuck longer days to get used. I'm quite familiar with it now. Practicing D01-03 Lesson and my right hand thumb repositioning. There are few students at D01-06 currently. My plan is to catch up D01-06 in a month. My rest stroke is more comfortable than before. All i need to think about is damping. Above videos 1,2,3's guitar is Cordoba C12 and video 4 is Torres. They are great collections to me.
Last edited by Ken Kim on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 am
Interesting how people struggle with different things, I find left and right hand mechanics of playing somewhat easy, but I am really struggling with reading sheet music up to tempo..

I think I need to just really slow down and play with a metronome until I can read much faster.

I don't know how long it's going to take. Hopefully not too long, I'd like to catch up to the class.

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Here are my submissions or lesson 2. Once again audio only. I am hoping to be prepared to post video by the time I have lesson 3 under my fingers.

Here are few of my thoughts:

C Major scale: I think that I was able to achieve reasonably good dynamics, I was pleased with that.

Doucement, Doucement: Once again I was happy with the dynamics in general but I think that I was a bit heavy on the 5th in the final measure

Jig: I let the B in measure 2 ring a little longer than I would have like and it bled into the following G. I did not get it muted quickly enough. I also think that the nail clicks on the strings are too prominent and somewhat distracting in this recording.

La Tete Bizarde: I allowed too much sympathetic string noise to come through on measures 2 and 4 the first time through, this was not as prominent on the repeat. I also caught my nail on the G string as I played the C in measure 24. One note on this piece, I struggled a bit with the thumb on the D in the first phrase. I found that when I played with the thumb I would mute the following G and it did not ring free. I had a breakthrough when I watched the instructional video closely and found that Maestro Delcamp plays the D with his index finger. When I copied his fingering I found that the piece flowed much more smoothly.

Thanks for listening, I look forward to your comments,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:44 pm

MikeTaylor wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm
I also think that the nail clicks on the strings are too prominent and somewhat distracting in this recording.
Going by memory here but I recall hearing a great deal more extraneous sounds from your first lesson. I did not comment because without the video as an aid I would only be guessing as to the reason, let alone the solution. It is good however that you are aware of such things.
The specific problem with your nail clicks might be related to the shape, length and smoothness of the nails themselves. Nail care is far more important than we students initially appreciate. We have two important instruments and each must be as good as we can manage. Your guitar is one, your body is another. Just as important as the action on your guitar is the perfection of your nails.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Yes, nail shaping and care is a constant battle. I do not yet have my nails into the shape I like but they are coming along. I found it strange that the nail clicking was only a problem with one of the four recordings though. I think possibly I played Jig with more free stroke and the other pieces with more rest stroke. Free stroke does tend to allow more nail noise.

Thank you for your comments,

Mike

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 am

MikeTaylor wrote:
Pretty good Mike.
Only missing Exercise No. 20 to complete all of the L2 exam qualification submissions
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:51 am

John Montes wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 am
MikeTaylor wrote:
Pretty good Mike.
Only missing Exercise No. 20 to complete all of the L2 exam qualification submissions

I will double check and repost it in the morning

Thanks,

Mike

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”