D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Jules,
I get the arrow for your videos but when I select it the video is not available. Also, there is no indication of the video in the window as in mine and other peoples submissions. Some kind of glitch either on my end or yours, not sure.

I was wondering if you had noted my rigid control of the protrusive index finger in my re-submission. I fixed it though my method is hardly an accomplishment.

Happy New Year!
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:50 pm

James:
I had them set as "private" instead of "unlisted". I guess that explains why I cannot see several of our fellow student's submissions. I have corrected them now. If you hadn't pointed this out I never would have known!
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:14 am

Jules,
Your play is very good. I cannot comment beyond an appreciation for your participation in this group.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Nice work everyone and wishing all a very happy new year.
The exam submissions listing is updated now with everyone's contributions
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 am

Thanks John.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Leccion 5a almost killed me but im still here. Trying to catch up with the main group. :discussion:

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 am

Hey Jeffrey, your guitar sounds so much better that I had to go back to lesson 2 to see if you got yourself a new one. Good job on solving your technical issues. :lol:
Catching up is good, but be cautious about going too fast. Each lesson builds upon the previous one and we are dealing with foundational skills here, so you don't want to gloss over any of the material. I am not green to the guitar but I am starting in D01 because I want to repair my foundation and I am have had a tough time with every lesson. Please don't read anything between the lines here because I think you are doing great. Perhaps the best advice is simply to keep reviewing the previous material with the goal of perfecting it as you forge ahead.
Speaking of broken foundations, on my first submission Yucel was good enough to point out the incorrect position of my left thumb, a trait that is obvious in your submissions too. Yucel was more diplomatic than I will be by suggesting that it seems to work for me and is thus perhaps OK. I tried valiantly to fix my left hand but as soon as I concentrated on some other aspect there it was peaking around the neck to see what his brothers were doing. In desperation I stuck a piece of foam tape on the back of my neck. Now any time Thumper starts to stray he is reminded to get back into position. These basic positions are so important to get right from the start.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 am

I guess the tumb is an old habit from playing electric style guitar. Rushing is something I need to be aware off, as of right now the quality of my playing is effected by it. As always Jules your input is much appreciated!

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 am

Leccion 5a wasn't an easy piece with strange 3,4 fingerings just like everybody.
Here are my submissions for 01-03.

SI SI RE

Good morning to all

Leccion 5a

Lo, nous marchonsbsur un etroit chemin
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez - Cedar
Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation - Cedar
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 am
Leccion 5a wasn't an easy piece with strange 3,4 fingerings just like everybody.
Somebody is just whipping through these lessons.
I would caution you to slow down if I saw anything obviously wrong as the lessons are supposed to build on each other, but from where I am sitting the only reason you are moving so quickly is because the material is basically easy for you. It will be nice to have some company once you catch up.

I am glad you are progressing well. You have a chunk of money tied up your guitar collection and those instruments deserve to be played to their full potential. Keep up the good work. :bravo:

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 am
Somebody is just whipping through these lessons.
I would caution you to slow down if I saw anything obviously wrong as the lessons are supposed to build on each other, but from where I am sitting the only reason you are moving so quickly is because the material is basically easy for you. It will be nice to have some company once you catch up.

I am glad you are progressing well. You have a chunk of money tied up your guitar collection and those instruments deserve to be played to their full potential. Keep up the good work. :bravo:
Thank you for generous feedback, Jules. Reading music isn't really hard for me but rest stroke and dampening. Piece itself is easy now and I am so sure it will get harder. As I saw all your submissions, you are far better player than me. Not confident that I can keep up with you, but I'll try. I did invest much to guitars since I've been practicing 1-2 hrs a day for last 9 months. I barely miss daily practice. Had some spare money because I don't drink , smoke and get wild at all. I was so lucky enough to have this collections. Now I have to make them sing beautifully. I just wonder which guitar you use. Your guitar sound nice too. I once thought to build my own but had better learn how to play well first. I'll start working on 01-04 right away. Look forward to seeing your opinion.
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am
I just wonder which guitar you use. Your guitar sound nice too. I once thought to build my own but had better learn how to play well first. I'll start working on 01-04 right away. Look forward to seeing your opinion.
Ha, I have an Almansa 402 Cedro. It is an: "entry level guitar (with) A solid cedar top with good volume, tone and playability make this an excellent choice for the serious beginner. Handcrafted in Spain. Back and Sides: Laminated Mahogany Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood. Binding around top, back and sides. Width at nut: 52 mm Scale length: 65 cm" Not exactly on par with your instruments, but an excellent choice to practice on I think.
I have another guitar in my home in China but I forget what it is. Another entry level instrument.
My good guitar was stolen along with most of our prized possessions, so to replace it I am having one built by Fritz Mueller, see http://www.classicalguitars.ca/ This week I chose the wood. It will be a double top (European spruce on top and cedar on bottom), Indian rosewood sides and back, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, blood-wood and abalone accents. It will eventually have Graf Tuners, something like this: https://www.graftuners.com/bauhausluckdrago.html#. The guitar should be ready in a couple of months but the tuners not until July or August. I only hope that I will be good enough one day to do such an instrument due credit.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:14 pm
The guitar should be ready in a couple of months but the tuners not until July or August. I only hope that I will be good enough one day to do such an instrument due credit.
Wow, customized Fritz Mueller double top on the way! Can't wait to see your submissions with it. Great for your guitar journey. Tuner is so gorgeous and classy with details. I can see now someone fell deeper than me. You made me tempted to get the customized built. To be honest, better instrument has easier playability with sensitive response and less tension over my body to me. I used cheap guitar to do warm up excercise or scales. It was definitely a bad choice over my elbows. I'm recovering from tennis elbows after stop using it. It is time for me to do daily before my angels come.
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 am

Hello all,

I rushed this lesson a little bit because I have a very challenging work schedule for the next few days. I could have played a little better if I had more time but I wanted to press on. I really enjoyed playing with the timing on leccion 5a and Lo nous marchons sur unetroit. chemin in particular really leant itself to dynamics. I was a little sloppy in the technical aspects of that recording, more string buzzes than I would have liked, but I played a lot with the dynamics range. I played the first phrase sul tasto and then ponticello on the repeat. I also worked with varying the volume within the phrases to play forte against piano to create some contrast within the phrases.

I look forward to hearing your comments about how I succeeded (or failed as the case may be),

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 am

MikeTaylor wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 am
Hello all,
Mike
Hi Mike, all of the recordings except for Si Si Re were complete. The Si Si Re appears to have gotten clipped off.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”