D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Seems that your guitar support help with your posture although your fretting hand is not always parallel with the fret. I guess the secret is in the thumb, if you can make the thumb stay at his place, the other fingers will follow and the hand will stay parallel. I have the same problem with my thumb too, among many others :)
Hello Lucian. Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback.
You got me thinking about the thumb and so I picked up my guitar, put my thumb parallel with the frets and noted that in a relaxed posture it puts it roughly opposite the middle finger (as generally recommended) but it also moves my knuckles away from parallel forcing my little finger to fret on the pad as opposed to the tip like it should. If I get my pinky properly bent at each knuckle so that it frets on its tip it either forces my thumb out of position or it introduces tension in the hand.
These lessons are great, the most especially so because of the input we fellow students freely exchange, but I am increasingly becoming convinced that I should really cave in and spring for at least the occasional lesson from a professional teacher if for no other reason than to help me work through these most fundamental positions as we struggle to get everything right. Is my hand different? Am I missing something? Is it a matter of training my hand so that it feels natural, and if so how does one go about that? These are things we want to get right sooner rather than later.
The support is a perfect example. A huge reason it took me extra time on this lesson was because my left hand fingers were lost and confused (and still are when I try a new piece). Overall you are quite correct in that my posture has improved, my back doesn't get so sore, and I have found a much better position for the guitar, but it takes some getting used to. I would love to figure it all out now at least in terms of the broad strokes so I wont be continually having to relearn such things.
Again, thanks so much for the input. I started lesson 4 yesterday and found the material much easier, no doubt in large measure because I enjoy the pieces. The thumb damping remains the primary challenge, but I hope to be posting next weekend. See you then. :bye:
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Jules - well done on trying to catch up with the D02 exercises. I also have the same left fingers problems after going to a guitar support a few weeks ago. I assume practice will help this improve. I also consider, every now and then, to take formal lessons with a hands-on teacher. Have you had music lessons prior to starting delcamp? Keep me updated on what you decide.

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm
Lucian Bistreanu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Seems that your guitar support help with your posture although your fretting hand is not always parallel with the fret. I guess the secret is in the thumb, if you can make the thumb stay at his place, the other fingers will follow and the hand will stay parallel. I have the same problem with my thumb too, among many others :)
Hello Lucian. Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback.
You got me thinking about the thumb and so I picked up my guitar, put my thumb parallel with the frets and noted that in a relaxed posture it puts it roughly opposite the middle finger (as generally recommended) but it also moves my knuckles away from parallel forcing my little finger to fret on the pad as opposed to the tip like it should. If I get my pinky properly bent at each knuckle so that it frets on its tip it either forces my thumb out of position or it introduces tension in the hand.
These lessons are great, the most especially so because of the input we fellow students freely exchange, but I am increasingly becoming convinced that I should really cave in and spring for at least the occasional lesson from a professional teacher if for no other reason than to help me work through these most fundamental positions as we struggle to get everything right. Is my hand different? Am I missing something? Is it a matter of training my hand so that it feels natural, and if so how does one go about that? These are things we want to get right sooner rather than later.
The support is a perfect example. A huge reason it took me extra time on this lesson was because my left hand fingers were lost and confused (and still are when I try a new piece). Overall you are quite correct in that my posture has improved, my back doesn't get so sore, and I have found a much better position for the guitar, but it takes some getting used to. I would love to figure it all out now at least in terms of the broad strokes so I wont be continually having to relearn such things.
Again, thanks so much for the input. I started lesson 4 yesterday and found the material much easier, no doubt in large measure because I enjoy the pieces. The thumb damping remains the primary challenge, but I hope to be posting next weekend. See you then. :bye:
You are welcome!
p.s. check this out, see what Larry McDonald is saying about the subject, by the way he's a teacher.
viewtopic.php?t=87201
edit
check this too, look for Kevin R. Gallagher video
viewtopic.php?t=96479
that's all for today :bye:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Can I remind everyone of exam timetable found here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023#p587778, scroll down a bit

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 am

Hello everyone sorry for being late!
These are my submissions.

D02 Anonyme Atoyela majeur

D02 Jean Francois Delcamp Solearas

Thanking for watching :casque: :merci: :bye:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”