D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:16 am
Not too much to say here as you are clearly whipping through these lessons. On your left hand your fingers are mostly fretting with their tips, but your pinky is definitely fretting with the pad. It is very important to fret with finger tips only just behind the frets with as little pressure as is necessary to get a clear note. This is a very common mistake for us beginners to make and a hard one to correct...believe me I am still struggling. I find chromatic scale exercises helpful played slowly but perfectly.
Thank you much again for your feedback, Jules. Pinky was trying to dampen and simply used pad for easy way. That's not how it supposed to look like. I looked at maestro Delcamp lessons again and he is fretting with pinky tips almost right under nail, while bottom of tip dampening. Still cureved pinky and mine is flat, oh Lord! His pinky is Not laying down at all. How'd I miss that? It seems like I have a wrong idea about dampening. I'll have to study carefully again about curved angle 'C' shape pinky. It is more than great advice and crucial for being a permanent bad habit. Thank you so much for monitoring and greatly appreciated.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez - Cedar
Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation - Cedar
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am
Thank you much again for your feedback, Jules. Pinky was trying to dampen and simply used pad for easy way. That's not how it supposed to look like. I looked at maestro Delcamp lessons again and he is fretting with pinky tips almost right under nail, while bottom of tip dampening. Still cureved pinky and mine is flat, oh Lord! His pinky is Not laying down at all. How'd I miss that? It seems like I have a wrong idea about dampening. I'll have to study carefully again about curved angle 'C' shape pinky. It is more than great advice and crucial for being a permanent bad habit. Thank you so much for monitoring and greatly appreciated.
I think the fingers just do a quick lean to dampen and then right back up at attention. The fingers don't always need to dampen so you want a position that will only dampen when you want, plus to do slurs having the correct attack is extra critical. My pinky is starting to become trained but it still gets lazy from time to time so I constantly have to watch it.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 4. Please excuse the birds, creates a bit of ambience I suppose.

My Thoughts:
La Cucaracha – there are several points which I could have muted better to create a cleaner sound

Alouette, Gentille Alouette – there are a few sting buzzes caused by not fretting precisely enough, the timing also drifted a little bit in the B section

Lundi Matin – I was a little frustrated with this one because I do not yet have my thumb nail in the shape I would like and this resulted in the notes struck with my thumb having a much fuller sound that those struck with my fingers. I was having to play with the fleshy part of my thumb. I tried adjusting my hand position a number of different ways but I could not get the sounds to match. It will come but it is frustrating now.

Cadet Rousselle – There is a false start that I thought I had edited out. I got off time a bit in the middle but overall I was pleased with this one.

Also, I believe that I have solved the mystery of my prominent nail clicks. I had changed from a dynamic mic to a condenser mic and the condenser is much more sensitive. I had the dynamic mic placed approximately 6 inches from the guitar pointed at the soundhole. Which of course also means pointed directly at my right hand. This was necessary to get a strong enough signal from that mic. I have been playing with positions with the condenser. I don’t think that I have gotten it perfect yet but it is much better.

Thanks for listening, I look forward to your comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Just checking in to tell ill be back with the next group. Had back problems for a while now which started the radiate trough my left leg. At one point I couldnt sit or lift my left foot up. Long story short, had a herniated disc which is taken care of and Im ready to get back playing the guitar again. So I will take the rest of the time getting back into the habbit of playing the guitar again and get back for the next round!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”