D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:16 am
Not too much to say here as you are clearly whipping through these lessons. On your left hand your fingers are mostly fretting with their tips, but your pinky is definitely fretting with the pad. It is very important to fret with finger tips only just behind the frets with as little pressure as is necessary to get a clear note. This is a very common mistake for us beginners to make and a hard one to correct...believe me I am still struggling. I find chromatic scale exercises helpful played slowly but perfectly.
Thank you much again for your feedback, Jules. Pinky was trying to dampen and simply used pad for easy way. That's not how it supposed to look like. I looked at maestro Delcamp lessons again and he is fretting with pinky tips almost right under nail, while bottom of tip dampening. Still cureved pinky and mine is flat, oh Lord! His pinky is Not laying down at all. How'd I miss that? It seems like I have a wrong idea about dampening. I'll have to study carefully again about curved angle 'C' shape pinky. It is more than great advice and crucial for being a permanent bad habit. Thank you so much for monitoring and greatly appreciated.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez, Torres, C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am
Thank you much again for your feedback, Jules. Pinky was trying to dampen and simply used pad for easy way. That's not how it supposed to look like. I looked at maestro Delcamp lessons again and he is fretting with pinky tips almost right under nail, while bottom of tip dampening. Still cureved pinky and mine is flat, oh Lord! His pinky is Not laying down at all. How'd I miss that? It seems like I have a wrong idea about dampening. I'll have to study carefully again about curved angle 'C' shape pinky. It is more than great advice and crucial for being a permanent bad habit. Thank you so much for monitoring and greatly appreciated.
I think the fingers just do a quick lean to dampen and then right back up at attention. The fingers don't always need to dampen so you want a position that will only dampen when you want, plus to do slurs having the correct attack is extra critical. My pinky is starting to become trained but it still gets lazy from time to time so I constantly have to watch it.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 4. Please excuse the birds, creates a bit of ambience I suppose.

My Thoughts:
La Cucaracha – there are several points which I could have muted better to create a cleaner sound

Alouette, Gentille Alouette – there are a few sting buzzes caused by not fretting precisely enough, the timing also drifted a little bit in the B section

Lundi Matin – I was a little frustrated with this one because I do not yet have my thumb nail in the shape I would like and this resulted in the notes struck with my thumb having a much fuller sound that those struck with my fingers. I was having to play with the fleshy part of my thumb. I tried adjusting my hand position a number of different ways but I could not get the sounds to match. It will come but it is frustrating now.

Cadet Rousselle – There is a false start that I thought I had edited out. I got off time a bit in the middle but overall I was pleased with this one.

Also, I believe that I have solved the mystery of my prominent nail clicks. I had changed from a dynamic mic to a condenser mic and the condenser is much more sensitive. I had the dynamic mic placed approximately 6 inches from the guitar pointed at the soundhole. Which of course also means pointed directly at my right hand. This was necessary to get a strong enough signal from that mic. I have been playing with positions with the condenser. I don’t think that I have gotten it perfect yet but it is much better.

Thanks for listening, I look forward to your comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Just checking in to tell ill be back with the next group. Had back problems for a while now which started the radiate trough my left leg. At one point I couldnt sit or lift my left foot up. Long story short, had a herniated disc which is taken care of and Im ready to get back playing the guitar again. So I will take the rest of the time getting back into the habbit of playing the guitar again and get back for the next round!

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:35 am

Howdy Ya'll

From what I understand the lessons for this year are closed, but I've continued working.. so here are my lesson 4 videos.

Working on: D01- Lesson 4
Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ27N

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Christopher - I watch your videos during my daily practice session. And with lesson #4, again well done. Personally, I think you would get bored redoing D01 in the fall session, but others may weigh in differently.
I would suggest you challenge yourself in lesson #5 - change your right hand fingering from i-m to m-a, even if the lesson calls for i-m.
As far as nails, keep trying, they have been a constant challenge to me, especially the middle finger that continues to split. And at my age the nails grow a lot slower.
Ed

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:37 pm
Christopher - I watch your videos during my daily practice session. And with lesson #4, again well done. Personally, I think you would get bored redoing D01 in the fall session, but others may weigh in differently.
I would suggest you challenge yourself in lesson #5 - change your right hand fingering from i-m to m-a, even if the lesson calls for i-m.
As far as nails, keep trying, they have been a constant challenge to me, especially the middle finger that continues to split. And at my age the nails grow a lot slower.
Ed
Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment Ed. You are helping to me to stay motivated. Your feedback and advice is much appreciated.

I was so very excited to get to lesson 5, I feel like guitar really sounds awesome with more than one note ringing.
The pieces in lesson 5 feel a lot more like "real" music.

Having one heck of a time with the rebounding thumb rest stroke. New technique for me. I thought I could cheat my way around the lesson 5 exercises until I tried playing lession 1. I then realized the point of the once seemingly bizarre thumb technique.

I hope to master the rebounding thumb and post lesson 5 videos soon. However, I have no plans to rush anything.

Take care Ed. Hope your practice today is fruitful.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 am

Hi Christopher,
I know it's the middle of summer vacation and you may not even see this but just in case...

Your videos show you have pretty well mastered the first year material. The only criticism I would offer is to be careful to observe those 'dotted' notes in order to maintain a consistent tempo. They should be held a little longer.

For what it's worth, I think of second year as the 'pinky' year. First off, the music is slightly more complex but within the grasp of anyone who has reasonably mastered first year. Many of the pieces in D02 require the use of alternate strings. That is, instead of playing an open 'G' string for instance, you would play the 'G' on the fourth[D] string and that means stretching out that pinky[4] finger. My finger was exceptionally weak when I started second year but was quite strong by the end of the term.

Anyway, have fun and I hope to see you in the fall.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 pm

I appreciate the feedback and information Bob.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:17 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 pm
I appreciate the feedback and information Bob.
Christopher, Did Ed mention your thumb position? You need to fix that for the reasons mentioned above. Your playing it like an acoustic/electric and that won't serve you well with Classical Guitar. I'm currently working on a piece by Purcell (Minuet, and its driving me nuts by the way). I've posted front and back vids to show you a thumb position (if you look beyond my bony arthritic knuckles..). My form isn't great by the way, but perhaps you can see why your thumb habit will cause trouble for you.

1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Tom,

Most excellent observation!

I have been actively correcting this issue with my thumb.

For a while I would have argued that there was nothing wrong with my thumb position being high.. But, I was new and ignorant and also holding the guitar wrongly.

I'm stubborn, but I'm coming around. Glad to know I'm working on the right things.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to re-record the pieces I've done so far with proper posture, and better tempo and tone once my nails come in. I rushed these early recordings, and I won't be happy until I ace them.

Living and learning. Thanks again.

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 am

For what it's worth, I think of second year as the 'pinky' year. First off, the music is slightly more complex but within the grasp of anyone who has reasonably mastered first year. Many of the pieces in D02 require the use of alternate strings. That is, instead of playing an open 'G' string for instance, you would play the 'G' on the fourth[D] string and that means stretching out that pinky[4] finger. My finger was exceptionally weak when I started second year but was quite strong by the end of the term.
Robert, interesting and precise commentary about D02, in terms of how it compares to D01. Thank you - it provides a helpful overview to inform my decision-making for this upcoming Fall term.
Judy

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 pm
Tom,

Most excellent observation!

I have been actively correcting this issue with my thumb.

For a while I would have argued that there was nothing wrong with my thumb position being high.. But, I was new and ignorant and also holding the guitar wrongly.

I'm stubborn, but I'm coming around. Glad to know I'm working on the right things.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to re-record the pieces I've done so far with proper posture, and better tempo and tone once my nails come in. I rushed these early recordings, and I won't be happy until I ace them.

Living and learning. Thanks again.
Ah, sounds like you're already working the issue. Keep up the great work and best of luck to you with the forum. I think your recordings are pretty good (error free), by the way. I usually goof notes when I record.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Ah, sounds like you're already working the issue. Keep up the great work and best of luck to you with the forum. I think your recordings are pretty good (error free), by the way. I usually goof notes when I record.
Thanks for the kid words Tom. You know how it goes. I'm my own biggest critic. I want my recordings on par with Mr. Delcamp's..

I'll tell you what too.. I'm getting closer and closer the more I work on it.

I can't wait to figure out my nails.. I feel like it's the last thing holding back my tone. Just missing that little bit of bite.

I got away with no nails on steel string and electric but I feel it makes a noticeable difference with classical. I really hope my nails start making contact soon. I've made the mistake of cutting them off a few times now.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Tom, Christopher - just curious, how big a learning help do you feel it is to have had a steel string background before taking up classical? I have always wondered this when I see the big gap in skillset with certain student's playing at the same Delcamp level.

Tom - I am working on the Visee Minuet and will post it later in the month. I liked your version

Ed

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”