D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, VidΓ©os, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 am

Hello Flying fingers. Great to have you back posting.
In future posts if at all possible it would be far more beneficial to be looking at you face on with the entire guitar in view, basically what a teacher would be seeing.
In your first posting there is a definite difference in the tone produced from i and m, plus both fingers are producing a somewhat metallic tone. My guess is that this is nail related, that is, I am hearing a difference due to quite different nail shapes and that your nails are perhaps too long or too rough. I am not good enough to do anything more than guess here, but you may want to watch some youtube lessons on the subject. For me I could not even do the harder exercises until I corrected my nails which I had no idea was as necessary as it was.
Your A finger is less developed than your i and m fingers. When you do your warmup exercises such as scales you may want to concentrate on IA and MA alterations to catch up that A finger.
Overall of course you did the lessons well. I hope we don't lose you again.
Cheers.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." β€” Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." β€” unknown

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:42 pm

Yucel,
Surely you've heard the old adage "misery loves company".

I see your pinky pointing like a flagpole towards the sky in your video and am thinking we are brothers in kind.

I've been working on exercises trying to tame my flying fingers and it seems to be helping. There are several exercises recommended here and elsewhere. Of course just playing scales is a good path and concentrate on keeping the fingers low when doing it. There are also some good exercises listed on the following website:

thisisclassicalguitar.com

Good luck. It's good to see you back.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 am

I have a question about music notation-

In the Exercises de Simple Alternation, 2nd piece, 2nd variation (and 3rd for that matter). The notation proceeds as follows:

b c b c db, ... and then to, ... c c# d c# d eb, ... and finally d c#, ... etc.

My question concerns notation when ascending or descending the scale. Consider the 1st and 2nd parts as illustrated by letters. In both cases the scale is ascending so why does the notation indicate db and then eb? Wouldn't c# and d# be more appropriate for an ascending scale? Similarly, the scale continues and descends from d to c#. Wouldn't the db be more appropriate to this descending trend?

James
1972 Morris No 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 am

Hi, all.
Leccion 1 did give me hard time with thumb rest stroke and THUMB damping. New exercise ma, am wasn't easy, but I can feel I am getting better everyday. It isn't good enough but here are my submissions for 01-05. Any feedback is welcome.

Polyphony 1

Polyphony 2

Exercises de simple alternation 1

Exercises de simple alternation 2

Leccion 1
Last edited by Ken Kim on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Robert England Hauser SP/F.Maple
Cordoba C12 SP* Rodriguez CD*Torres SP
Hill New World Player CD 615mm
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 SP '84
La Patrie Presentation CD
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 am

Ken Kim wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 am
Hi, all.
Leccion 1 did give me hard time with thumb rest stroke and THUMB dampening. New exercise ma, am wasn't easy, but I can feel I am getting better everyday. It isn't good enough but here are my submissions for 01-05. Any feedback is welcome.
I found D01-05 to be very difficult so when I consider how little time you have spent on it I have nothing but admiration.
I agree that your execution is not perfect yet, but on the exercises you have done an admirable job in coordinating the thumb and finger strokes and in the leccion 1 you did an excellent job in damping with the thumb which is the primary purpose behind including the piece. I would encourage you to spend more time on those pieces until you feel you have nailed them, but that can be done while pressing ahead. I am still practicing pieces from D02-02 that I never polished to my standards even though I am now starting the -07 lessons (I am taking D01 and D02 at the same time).
A couple of small points: 1) I can see that you are having trouble with your A finger and cannot help but note that it is generally not in a proper ready position, and your pinky sticks out like a flag pole. You need to be training that finger a lot more. When doing scales or slurs I try to involve my A finger for this very reason. 2) I can hear your nail scraping the strings. Listen to your recordings to see if you notice the same thing. It is not a sound we want but I am not sure of why it is there or how to eliminate it. It may be that your nail shape is wrong (it is more pronounced on one finger) and it may be that your stroke angle needs to be modified. I have often seen people advise that the strokes need to be at an angle to the string. If you are able to correctly diagnose the reason and the cure I would be most curious what you discovered.
Finally, while you pretty much nailed the damping in Leccion 1 and while that is the difficult thing about that lesson for which you deserve a thumbs up, your execution of the piece is not musical. I think you correctly placed learning the technique as the priority, but a logical next step would be to try to make the piece sound beautiful while still performing the damping. Not an easy task, but one I think you are up to.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." β€” Bill Gates

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 am

Jules Wilkins wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:13 pm
I promised a better rendition once I practiced it more.
The damping with the thumb is almost automatic now, but I need to keep practicing. Still, when I consider that I could barely do a rest stroke with the thumb about 6 weeks ago let alone damping a string immediately afterwards I have to be appreciative of these lessons.
I am a little concerned that nobody else has made their submissions. I get that people do lesson 1 and maybe lesson 2 and then simply quit, but to all you who have made it to lessons 3 (most of whom have also submitted material in lesson 4) you guys are doing great without exception and I would hate to see any of you drop out. We don't have to be perfect here, and as we all come from different places we are all going to struggle in our own unique ways, but we are all progressing and owe it to ourselves to persevere. Sure it can be a bit disheartening that we cannot yet master Recuerdos De La Alhambra despite all the work we have thus far put in, but through perseverance we will be able to master this first year and that is already enough to be able to play more than a few pleasing pieces of music well. I really hope none of you are giving up on me.

By the way, I now have my Atlas Guitar Support. It took me a couple of days to find a position that allows both hands to be in at least approach a good position. I think I now need to do some resistance training, concentrating on the shoulders and back, which should in turn help my posture and further improve my left hand position.
I am reposting this because the link was not corrected following the transition to the new method and my first recording of Leccion 1 was decidedly inferior.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Ken,
I agree with Jules assessment of your submission and it's hard to add-on to his evaluation. I think he was a music teacher in a previous life. I especially agree with his assessment that your technical execution is apparently your goal. Of course musicality is the reason we all are playing classical guitar so for both of us that will undoubtedly follow. Overall, great work.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:45 pm

James A. Showalter wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Ken,
I agree with Jules assessment of your submission and it's hard to add-on to his evaluation. I think he was a music teacher in a previous life. I especially agree with his assessment that your technical execution is apparently your goal. Of course musicality is the reason we all are playing classical guitar so for both of us that will undoubtedly follow. Overall, great work.
James
It's funny to listen to my renditions of Leccion 1 in retrospect. In my first submission I, like you Ken, was struggling just to get the thumb doing its thing. Your first submission was far easier on the ears than what I submitted IMHO. I worked on the piece for quite a bit though and eventually the damping came easy enough for me to pay attention to the piece itself and there is no question that the improvement was huge, but still far from well done. I had just received my guitar support but hadn't yet found a "sweet" setting. My right hand is way too close to the bridge making the sound too tinny, but of even greater significance is that I simply played the repeats the same way I played it the first time.
I am currently rather optimistically trying to learn Capricho Arabe...a questionable goal at present...and last night I listened to a tutorial on the piece. The teacher stated that when a section repeats itself like this it is a gift to the performer. To simply play it the same way is a waste of the gift and a boredom to the listener (Yep, heard that already, what else have you got). You need to use it to show off your talent, to express yourself, to play with it, to add something from your soul. I am paraphrasing but his point is well taken. I was given two gifts in this piece but squandered both of them. Perhaps I should try a third submission. We are each other's teachers...do I owe a better rendition?

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:45 pm
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Ken,
James
It's funny to listen to my renditions of Leccion 1 in retrospect. In my first submission I, like you Ken, was struggling just to get the thumb doing its thing. Your first submission was far easier on the ears than what I submitted IMHO. I worked on the piece for quite a bit though and eventually the damping came easy enough for me to pay attention to the piece itself and there is no question that the improvement was huge, but still far from well done. I had just received my guitar support but hadn't yet found a "sweet" setting. My right hand is way too close to the bridge making the sound too tinny, but of even greater significance is that I simply played the repeats the same way I played it the first time.
I am currently rather optimistically trying to learn Capricho Arabe...a questionable goal at present...and last night I listened to a tutorial on the piece. The teacher stated that when a section repeats itself like this it is a gift to the performer. To simply play it the same way is a waste of the gift and a boredom to the listener (Yep, heard that already, what else have you got). You need to use it to show off your talent, to express yourself, to play with it, to add something from your soul. I am paraphrasing but his point is well taken. I was given two gifts in this piece but squandered both of them. Perhaps I should try a third submission. We are each other's teachers...do I owe a better rendition?
Thank you much for your very valuable opinions, Jules and James. I practice my own daily skill set training and all the pieces from first lesson thru current lesson, I'm working on
, for every single day. It is a joy to follow maestro Delcamp lessons. All my previous submissions are lack of something always. That's how it supposed to be. It doesn't have to be or can't be like how maestro Delcamp excute the pieces in his exquisite skills and feeling. We are not trained for that yet. None of our part from instrument, including fingers, wrists, elbows and ears, are trained close to professional. Music is just like that. There are some level to excute certain pieces in certain level. That doesn't mean we can't try to play it. I think we all are doing fine in our level. BTW, your Leccion 1 is beautifully played more than enough to be in 01, Jules. Music training had better be daily in my opinion. It has to be a habit. After great excution, I can think about articulation. Sadly, I'm not close to play it well yet. I've performed as a soloist for last 15 years and it is strange I love guitar way more than my voice these days. I even regreted that I studied voice instead of classical guitar. Many of my colleagues couldn't understand why I'm learning guitar since I am a semi-pro soloist and vocal teacher. There are something about classical guitar that I can't explain. I'm happy to do chromatic scales for couple hours.
Now, I'm struggling with pg 58 exercises and 06 lesson looks easier than 05 but I will work on 05 a little longer than what I expected.
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:14 am

Ken,
I really like the depth of field and character of your Avatar.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 am

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:14 am
Ken,
I really like the depth of field and character of your Avatar.
James
Thanks, James.
Taken by phone Galaxy S7. Nothing special and resized pixels as under 70x70 by Avatar size requirement.
It is Torres, btw.
Ken

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Greetings all,
First and foremost, my apologies for being absent for the last couple of months. I had some very demanding deadlines that left very little time for the recording efforts. While I kept squeezing practice wherever I could, recording the assignments was a challenge in itself. I was able to hunker down and record for the assignments to date. So here they are, warts and all. I will also be catching up with the participation via comments. I have snuck in some views of the recordings, and I am happy to hear and learn from what you are doing.

Warm Regards,
Juan
:merci:

05 Exercices de simple alternation 1

05 Exercices de simple alternation 2

05 Polyphonie

05 Leccion 1 Cano Curiella
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 am

Juan, I can relate to the situation where the job requirements steal time from our ability to practice. I'm suffering from that situation and will be compounding it soon. I think you are progressing nicely but I will offer this bit of critical critique-

Exercises in simple alternation-1: The first example was completed correctly where 33 notes were played consecutively. The next iterations were short by at least 1 and in some instances 2 notes played.

Exercises in simple alternation-2: The 1st piece was executed correctly. On the next 2 pieces you fail to fully alternate I & m picks and again with the m & a picks.

Polyphonie can only be improved by more practice to secure your timing.

I think Cano-Curriella was correct but it seemed to fade at the very end.

I hope my comments were helpful.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 am

My submissions for Lesson 5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
β€œWould you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Mike,
Your note counts were perfect. Your history with the instrument is obvious.
James
1972 Morris No 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Return to β€œClassical guitar lessons archive”