D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 am
Hello all. With the new lessons out I decided to become officially "caught up". :D
Jules, well played. Nice job.

Amazing progress also, given you're working two lesson groups concurrently. I think this has may have been mentioned before, but I couldn't help but notice your left thumb position. I'm betting you played steel string acoustic in a prior life? It hasn't hurt anything so far from what I've heard from your postings, but lately I've run into trouble with buzzing strings (from LH finger slant angles in this case, I'm also having buzz trouble related to RH technique but that's another story). To fix this I'm trying to keep my LH fingers a little more perpendicular to the fret board, and I've had to keep my thumb more centered on the back of the neck in order to do this.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am

Thanks Tom
The sad part is, I have never played a steel string guitar. I keep working on my left thumb but as soon as I relax my attention just a tad it shows itself again. Like you though if I concentrate on using the finger tips (especially the pinky) and a vertical (side to side) approach (but allowing a slant towards the head) the thumb takes care of itself. I guess in a piece like this my concentration wanders to reading the music, trying to hit the right notes and playing somewhat legato. It is slowly improving at least.
My only solution so far is to concentrate on the left hand when doing scales, and presently I am mostly doing the chromatic scale as it uses the pinky extensively and not only do I need to force it to hit on the tip but it also needs training to stretch to the frets. I think you must also be struggling with this as I see in your playing that you sometimes have excellent pinky placement and sometimes not, suggesting to me that you too have to deliberately stretch it to reach far enough. But in a sense this is a good thing, as the stretches are hardest in first position. If we keep working on this then the higher positions will be much easier.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 am

That's right, and I'm now seeing the pinky placement problem face to face, with the last measure (actually 15 and 16) of Pavane. ......

I'm finding that pinky finger and thumb placement are both key in avoiding string buzz when hitting that last chord. Proper thumb and hand position/orientation must actually be set at measure 15, notes G# & E, or I totally blow the last chord.

Ugggggg, hope to get this sorted sometime next week.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi
These are my recording assignments hop you like it.

D02 05 Allegeretto N2 Opus 44

D02 05 Jean Francois Delcamp Gammes DO Majeur

D02 05 Jean Francois Delcamp Gammes DO Majeur

Hope you like it please :casque: :merci: :bye:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Rajesh - well done. I liked the way you switched between rest strokes and free stroke with your musical pieces. It was very effective.

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 pm
Hi
Hello Rajesh
Without a doubt your Adante Affettuosoen was, to my ear, your best submission. My guess is that you really enjoy playing that piece. It is too bad your recordings have the background static that distracts from your playing. I know it sounds much better in person.
I would like to comment on your tempo. On the one hand it is good to slow certain pieces down and speed them up at will to suit your ear and express the piece in your own personal way, but one should be wary about letting technical ability rather than artistic expression dictate the variation. With the Sor piece I believe you are rushing the easy bits and slowing the difficult ones as indeed is a natural tendency when we learn a piece but one which must be fought. You should never play a piece at a faster tempo than you are able to maintain throughout. Indeed I often see virtuoso's who know pieces thoroughly advice that students and experts alike need to slow down a piece from time to time in order to better perfect their technique. Speed always follows technique. I would rather hear you play Allegeretto at a too slow but even tempo with an emphasis on clean execution and perfect cadence. This is not to suggest that you should always learn a piece using strict timing for there is much debate about that, but I think difficult measures at least should be practiced that way when isolated as an exercise in itself. Your scale exercise I maintain should always be executed with strict tempo. The first and last notes in those passages take up twice the time value as the other notes, but you are playing them at only about 150% duration. I would therefore encourage you to use a metronome (download a free app).
For clarity, I like what I hear, I would just like it a lot better if the timing was more disciplined.
Keep up the good work. :casque:
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:35 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 am
Rajesh Dhungel wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 pm
Hi
Hello Rajesh
Without a doubt your Adante Affettuosoen was, to my ear, your best submission. My guess is that you really enjoy playing that piece. It is too bad your recordings have the background static that distracts from your playing. I know it sounds much better in person.
I would like to comment on your tempo. On the one hand it is good to slow certain pieces down and speed them up at will to suit your ear and express the piece in your own personal way, but one should be wary about letting technical ability rather than artistic expression dictate the variation. With the Sor piece I believe you are rushing the easy bits and slowing the difficult ones as indeed is a natural tendency when we learn a piece but one which must be fought. You should never play a piece at a faster tempo than you are able to maintain throughout. Indeed I often see virtuoso's who know pieces thoroughly advice that students and experts alike need to slow down a piece from time to time in order to better perfect their technique. Speed always follows technique. I would rather hear you play Allegeretto at a too slow but even tempo with an emphasis on clean execution and perfect cadence. This is not to suggest that you should always learn a piece using strict timing for there is much debate about that, but I think difficult measures at least should be practiced that way when isolated as an exercise in itself. Your scale exercise I maintain should always be executed with strict tempo. The first and last notes in those passages take up twice the time value as the other notes, but you are playing them at only about 150% duration. I would therefore encourage you to use a metronome (download a free app).
For clarity, I like what I hear, I would just like it a lot better if the timing was more disciplined.
Keep up the good work. :casque:
Hi Jules thankyou for your valuable suggestions, I have been working on the tempo. You know sometimes it is tempting to play faster or slower, i think this objective can be achieved in time and practice and patience ofcourse. :merci: :bye:

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”