D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Jenni,
The Maestro played the arpeggios two ways. The first was played freely. The second was played with these instructions with the intent of addressing your specific problem.
"Practise playing this arpeggio while keeping 3 fingers on the strings throughout. Doing it this way will teach you to make the necessary finger movement without it triggering involuntary and unwanted movements by the other fingers."
Finger independence is a matter of brain training not muscle training.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Yes, I read that and watched the videos before the lesson. I am keeping my fingers on the strings, but still have some trouble. My hand is tense, and it is worse when I am recording because I get nervous. I just need more practice. :)

I will try to re-record the piece and post it.
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 pm

I redid my Carulli piece. The arpeggios are more even; although, I do flub some of the chords at the end. I like to get my recordings done (even if they are still rough) before the end of the month so I can work on the other pieces for that lesson.
Carulli Prelude 4-Take 2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Jenni Gribble wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 am
I practiced the Ghiribizzo piece as you describe, damping the base notes. But in the end, I just couldn’t feel it—musically, so I let them ring. As for the wrong note, I probably memorized it wrong. I tend to do that.

snip
I know what you mean about musicality where the Ghiribizzos are concerned. I tend to play them with tremolo although the exam for D03 the year I took it favored those who played the fastest (far faster that Prof. Delcamps version) and clipped. Sigh. I played trumpet in high school and someone once pointed out to me that tremolo was inappropriate for a Sousa march. It had become a habit and I had to consciously work at not doing it. Anyway, I think the Ghiribizzo pieces are playful and almost nursery rhyme charming and can be played sweetly but I seem to be in the minority.

Your second recording of the Carulli is very nicely done with great pacing and control. :bravo:

Best regards,
Bob G.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am

Hi classmates, here is my video submission:

Thank you

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Jenni,

Nice improvement on the Carulli. You used a different guitar as well.

Ghiribizzo is in 6/8 time. I count it like this, ONE, two, three, FOUR, five, six. That is the first and fourth notes get accented. Thinking like this may help your musical interpretation.

I've been working on the Ghiribizzo and the Carulli since I've posted my submissions. I'll try and get a recording posted before the weekend is over.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Second attempt at the Pagannini.
Pag. Gh.mp3
Jenni, I'm using the back of my thumb to damp the notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 am

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am
Hi classmates, here is my video submission:

Thank you
Hi Binh,
Your overall skill level is very good. There were a few missteps but generally very impressive. :bravo:

It sounds like you've made those pieces your own so that you are playing mostly from memory. I thinks it's the only way to make them sound best. Unfortunately, my aging brain does not absorb new things quite as quickly as it once did. One of the reasons I do this is to make it work harder. They say if you don't use it you lose it :)
You might want to practice the Ghiribizzo using damping for the sixth string just to become familiar with the feel of doing it that way. There will be times when not damping will cause disonant tones.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Pag. Gh.mp3

Hi Salvitore,
You have the treble fingering down pretty well but the base notes weren't coming through. Just something to think about. Using the back of the thumb may cause the nail to contact the vibrating string which is a guaranteed ugly buzz.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:14 am

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 am

Hi Binh,
Your overall skill level is very good. There were a few missteps but generally very impressive. :bravo:

It sounds like you've made those pieces your own so that you are playing mostly from memory. I thinks it's the only way to make them sound best. Unfortunately, my aging brain does not absorb new things quite as quickly as it once did. One of the reasons I do this is to make it work harder. They say if you don't use it you lose it :)
You might want to practice the Ghiribizzo using damping for the sixth string just to become familiar with the feel of doing it that way. There will be times when not damping will cause disonant tones.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I will add string damping into my practice routine. Much appreciated :merci:

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Pag. Gh.mp3

Hi Sal, you might want to use a metronome or tap your feed to the beat. If you have difficulties to keep up the beat then, play slower , reduce tempo until the rhythm is steady.
In your current play, there were few missteps, some parts are too fast. I suggest you should sing the melodic line first, and then use it to interpretation the song. Your song will be unique and emotional.
Best regards
Binh

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello Robert,
I mis-spoke when I said the back of my thumb. If you flatten your hand palm down on the top of a table, keeping your thumb relaxed, the part of the thumb touching the table is the part of the thumb that I'm damping(or trying to damp) the base strings.

I can hear the bass strings being plucked while I play but not so much in the recording. I'll try a stronger attack with my thumb next time.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”