D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Scales in third, number 6. (Free stroke)
Page 58 : Jean-François Delcamp - Rest stroke, number 16. (Rest stroke)

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Finally, we'll look at 3 tunes, pages 30 to 32. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)
Matteo Carcassi : Exercice opus 59 (Rest stroke)

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Gammes en tierces - Scales in third, numéro 6. (Free stroke)
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scales in third, numéro 6
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Jules Wilkins
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Ken Kim
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Yucel Kamcez
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Juan M Silva
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

MikeTaylor
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60
:( + ♫ = :)

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 am

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am
Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.
Am I missing something? What exercises are being referred to here?
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 am
Am I missing something? What exercises are being referred to here?
There is a page that discusses some Improvisation exercises on p. 60 in the D01 workbook.
There's some general guidance that attempts to encourage experimentation with note selection, tone and volume color, rhythm/cadence etc. wrt. basic improvisation.

The wording could probably be updated to something like:
updated - "Don't forget to practice the improvisation exercises on p.60 in the D01 workbook, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson"
original - "Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson"
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 am

I could have sworn I posted my submissions yesterday. I wonder where I posted them? Oh well, here they are again.

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am

Nice work Jules.

I'm still trailing but am part of the fold.
James

PS.
The guitar rest seems to provide a very relaxed posture for your play. I vote thumbs up!
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 am

I'm realizing for my level of competence that the best thing for me at this time is to practice the exercises offered by JFD and other venues. I try to play the next lessons and there is no gain by me struggling with them and then forcing a submission that is not rooted in an attempt to achieve the lesson goal. So I am not leaving this group but I am striking a path towards focusing on technique, sight reading of music and just plain practice. I will continue to follow this group and will be here next year building on the fundamentals I have learned in this first foray into classical guitar. Posture, picking technique, rests as rhythm, damping and musical notation are the foundation of classical guitar and I need to step back and digest the insight I've gained. I'll be back at the start of the next lesson cycle with an established foundation in these fundamentals. So there is no Goodbye here. Until we can play again I look forward to your contributions. I'm still listening and will offer my friendship when it can fit.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:29 pm

James A. Showalter wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 am
I'm realizing for my level of competence that the best thing for me at this time is to practice the exercises offered by JFD and other venues. I try to play the next lessons and there is no gain by me struggling with them and then forcing a submission that is not rooted in an attempt to achieve the lesson goal. So I am not leaving this group but I am striking a path towards focusing on technique, sight reading of music and just plain practice. I will continue to follow this group and will be here next year building on the fundamentals I have learned in this first foray into classical guitar. Posture, picking technique, rests as rhythm, damping and musical notation are the foundation of classical guitar and I need to step back and digest the insight I've gained. I'll be back at the start of the next lesson cycle with an established foundation in these fundamentals. So there is no Goodbye here. Until we can play again I look forward to your contributions. I'm still listening and will offer my friendship when it can fit.
James
Take your time to get familiar with guitar. New stuffs always give us hard time, joy of learning with new instrument is so pleasant and enjoyable. I'll stick around for a while. I look foward to seeing your submissions later.
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez, Torres, C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:36 pm

06 lesson was fun and hard. I kinda caught up lesson 01 finally. Here is my 3 submissions. Any feedback is very welcome.

Scales in third #6

RICERCAR

SOR LECON 1 opus 60
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez, Torres, C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Yucel Kamcez

Post by Yucel Kamcez » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi,

i want to share 3 working pieces and plus Carulli trial.
Sorry for background voices of tractor and dogs, of course for my hole garden pant.
While i am working guitar it can take long hours that i have to feed my dogs time to time.
My happy dogs bite everything, pants most especially. :)

I had a break for playing and i am trying to adjust for playing regularly.
Thanks for your help.

trial... :)

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:20 am

Well, I want to start by thanking each of you who have shown me that pace is what you make of it. I appreciate the encouragement. Though I am still moving through lesson-6 and haven't yet developed a practiced technique which shows I can play these lessons with confidence I would like to share what I've learned over the past few days in terms of realizing what is central to understanding "scales in 3rds". I am going to discuss Exercise-6.

What we are doing in this exercise is exploring intervals. There are two types of separation or intervals that can be considered when playing 3rds, either a Major-3rd or a minor-3rd. The lesson specifically asks that we study Exercise-6 but if you go ahead and evaluate lesson-7 & 8 it really adds to the understanding of the concept of intervals.

Lesson-6 follows this progression with associated intervals:

g/b g/b a/c a/c b/d b/d a/c a/c g/b g/b | g/b
M3 M3 m3 m3 m3 m3 m3 m3 M3 M3 M3

Exercise-8 follows a similar progression of paired notes and intervals:

g/b g/b a/c a/c b/d b/d c/e c/e d/f d/f e/g e/g d/f d/f c/e c/e b/d b/d a/c a/c g/b g/b | g/b
M3 M3 m3 m3 m3 m3 M3 M3 m3 m3 m3 m3 m3 m3 M3 M3 m3 m3 m3 m3 M3 M3 M3

The weight of each interval (or rather the distance between notes) can be derived by applying the definition for components of the Major scale:

I ii iii IV V vi vii
M m m M M m m

I: is a Major so its 3rd is a M3 interval distance
ii: is a minor so its 3rd is a m3 interval distance away.
And so on.

I found this realization interesting. I hope you've gained from my explanation.
James

PS.
If I'm confused or otherwise not clear in my thinking, please advise. Thanks.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Greetings all,
Here are the assignments for lesson 6. My apologies for being late.

Warm Regards,
Juan
:merci:

06 Ricercar

06 Scales in third, numéro 6

06 Leçon I opus 60
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Very nice Juan.
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 6.

Not perfect but I suppose that they are adequate for an afternoon's effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Mike,
Sounds OK. A few buzzing notes I think but a good effort. I haven't looked back at any of the previous lesson, have you submitted Lesson 1-5? Will you be able to record video in the future?

I haven't been recording any lessons since lesson-5 because I feel that I need to dedicate my time to developing good technique and it doesn't add any value that I cannot play up to speed. You seem to have some level of development which is good. I think you're in phase to complete D01 and move on to the next series. Good luck.
James
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul

MikeTaylor

Post by MikeTaylor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello James,

Thank you for your comments, I was beginning to feel like I was sending my posts into a black hole. I have posted all lessons 1-6. I have not received any comments since lesson 2 and some of my pieces from lesson 4 and all of the piece from lesson 5 have not even been listened to. The basic comments that I received amounted to "post video or you will not be recognized here." I have the equipment to record and post video but I have not played with it to get it to get the process down. I have all of my audio recording apparatus up and running and so I started with that. I had intended to switch to video but the unwelcoming reception that I have received in this group has led me to decide to just post through lesson 7 so that I qualify for the exam and then stop posting to this level. My plan is to work through level 2 over the summer and then join in with level 3 when classes resume in the fall. I hope that there is a more welcoming reception in that group.

None of that really matters too much to me though. The reason I joined this course is that in the past when I have attempted to study classical guitar I have found that there is an enormous amount of material and guidance at the early levels. As one approaches the intermediate repertoire the guidance becomes much less. I have found it to be very difficult to identify pieces that are at the appropriate level to progress. That is what I see as most valuable here.

I am sorry to sound so down on this course but I was initially very excited about finding a community with a common interest and working towards a common goal. I think the response that I have received has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Best to you,

Mike
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to"
"I don't much care where–"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”