D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 78 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.
- page 30 Thoinot ARBEAU (1519-1595) PAVANE
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 78 number 19, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59
I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 (pages 85, 86) regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Ed Butler
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Tom Wimsatt
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Lucian Bistreanu
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Jules Wilkins
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Rajesh Dhungel
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59
:( + ♫ = :)

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am

First two submissions:

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am
First two submissions:
The week is not finished yet, but you managed to play very well.
:bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Jules - well done. I especially focused on the last 4 measures of the Andantino and you hit all the right notes. Those are the measures I keep tripping over myself on playing.

Ed

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

First cuts at the SLURs and PAVANE (slowed this down, still a couple of hiccups, especially at end)

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm
First cuts at the SLURs and PAVANE (slowed this down, still a couple of hiccups, especially at end)

Ed
Hi Ed. Good job. Your playing is definitely improving, hard work and patience is paying off. By the way, in my opinion you picked the hardest piece (Pavane, in my opinion is the toughest one of the bunch) to start with :okok: The chord at the end is hard to hit and play cleanly, and I found the tempo awkward at first.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Tom - thanks. I think the guitar supports help. Also when practicing scales or arpeggios I try to close my eyes as Jules suggests so that I feel the pressure and tips of my left hand fingers helps a lot.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am
First two submissions:

Jules, your playing sounds great. I don't really have any suggestions, you are playing smooth and evenly throughout (Andantino). Perhaps this was intentional but at times it sounded like your were "plucking" strings (one example, the individual notes between the chord arpeggios or whatever they're called in the first line of the piece).

It sounds fine, so maybe you did so intentionally as part of varying dynamics. Sometimes this practice gives the piece a sort of "percussive" (is that a word??) quality, which I like.

Just a thought.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

First cut at ANDANTINO. A few rough parts. Too slow to pickup after rests/breaks. At one point my guitar was slipping off my leg so I lost focus on my play just a bit.

Ed

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Tom - thanks. I think the guitar supports help. Also when practicing scales or arpeggios I try to close my eyes as Jules suggests so that I feel the pressure and tips of my left hand fingers helps a lot.

Ed
I agree. As I recall (if memory serves me right here) you are particularly good with playing arpeggio portions of the pieces. Now I see why. The practicing is paying off.

I'm betting you'll do well with Andantino, especially the first section (i.e., the portion up to the first repeat sign or coda). Take your time with the last few measures of that first section, also give yourself some time to get the hang of hitting those G notes of the arpeggios (if that's what they're called). Initially, I had to visualize that string position in my mind's eye to keep from messing that one up - I'd hit an open B string by accident.

They're tricky, but I'm betting you'll do well with that portion/piece.

I do realize that talk is cheap - I'll be posting some stuff over the next few days. :wink:
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm
First cut at ANDANTINO. A few rough parts. Too slow to pickup after rests/breaks. At one point my guitar was slipping off my leg so I lost focus on my play just a bit.

Ed

Ed well done. I can see that your playing has improved.
:bravo:

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Ed

Ed, I knew it! You hit those chord arpeggios very nicely. Keep at it, the transitions will come to you gradually. You are sounding much better, tempo is very much improved as well. :bravo:
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Perhaps this was intentional but at times it sounded like your were "plucking" strings (one example, the individual notes between the chord arpeggios or whatever they're called in the first line of the piece).
It sounds fine, so maybe you did so intentionally as part of varying dynamics. Sometimes this practice gives the piece a sort of "percussive" (is that a word??) quality, which I like.
If I understand you correctly it was intentional. For example, in playing the first several measures I was playing the repeating G notes using the free stroke while playing the melody rest stroke. While I said intentionally I was not really thinking about it, it just made sense to emphasize the melody while subduing the G's in the background. I also played the base notes free stroke which I tell myself (I think correctly) is correct as again it is the treble that carries the melody, though maybe it is because it is just a lot easier :? . Actually I just picked up the guitar and tried playing the base notes rest stroke and I did not like the sound at all.
Your comment also got me wondering if I am "plucking" the strings instead of using a properly executed free stroke. I think and hope I am not plucking but I will be on the lookout for the next while.
Thanks as always for your thoughtful insights.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 am

On my computer the youtube submissions are now links that must be followed, while before I could play the links on this page. Is this change in behavior unique to me or is it the same for all of us?

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 am
On my computer the youtube submissions are now links that must be followed, while before I could play the links on this page. Is this change in behavior unique to me or is it the same for all of us?
Jules take a look here:
www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopi ... 9#p1257469

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”