D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Lucian Bistreanu
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm

here are my slurs

Andantino

and Sauteuse

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Lucian - your best session left. I especially liked the Sauteuse. The pace was great, very few slow downs, your left fingers kept moving and hitting the right notes. (without you having to look at them). I also liked the position of your right arm out wide for the first frets something William Kanengiser espouses. Now if we can just break your habit (and mine) of looking at the right hand while playing I believe your improvements will accelerate. For me, Jules recommendation to close your eyes while practicing is helping me break this habit.

Again, well done

Ed

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm
Lucian - your best session left. I especially liked the Sauteuse. The pace was great, very few slow downs, your left fingers kept moving and hitting the right notes. (without you having to look at them). I also liked the position of your right arm out wide for the first frets something William Kanengiser espouses. Now if we can just break your habit (and mine) of looking at the right hand while playing I believe your improvements will accelerate. For me, Jules recommendation to close your eyes while practicing is helping me break this habit.

Again, well done

Ed
Thank you Ed!
The fact that I was able to play, partially, without looking at my LH, is because I already started doing some exercises (usually the scales) with the eyes closed, as advised by Jules or Tom. And that's working fine, we just need to practice and practice.
As for the RH being played without looking at, I suppose we can try the same thing, doing arpeggios with eyes closed for example.
The good thing is that we see some progress, not much in my case, but it's there.
So keeping up the good work!
Lucian

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 am
On my computer the youtube submissions are now links that must be followed, while before I could play the links on this page. Is this change in behavior unique to me or is it the same for all of us?
I've found that when I play the uploads, youtube gets launched (automatically). Is this what you mean? If so, this has been happening for some time now. I figured this was normal.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Tom, Lucian - thank you for the kind feedback. It means a lot.

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello Ed,
Forgive me for not commenting earlier. My laptop died and then the issue with the youtube links kind of threw me.
(Thanks Lucian for pointing me to the answer...it is nice to see that the site is back to normal).
I am finding it a bit difficult to putting my thoughts on your playing Ed without it risking like I am sounding negative, so please do not take this the wrong way. for quite the opposite is true...
After listening to your latest submission I went back to listen to (and watch) your submissions in lesson 1.Oh Susanna was recognizable, but QUE NE SUIS-JE LA FOUGERE was so far beyond your ability that I couldn't help but wonder if you would have been better off in D01.
Since then you have continually impressed and frankly surprised me with your progress. I suspect the guitar support is helping you as it helped me, but your posture is way better as are your hand approaches, and that is just a start. As Ed (and I think Lucian too) clearly pointed out, it is abundantly clear that you have been working very hard at this and it shows. Keep up the great work!
I for one am very happy with this because it allows me to identify a specific area or two to work on, while with your earlier submissions I would have found it difficult to know where to start.
So these are the areas I suggest you work on for the remainder of this month:
1) Slurs. When you strike a note and immediately execute a hammer-on that is a grace note, not a slur. Grace notes are a more advanced topic to be introduced after we get good at slurs. A well executed slur gives equal time to all notes. Listen again to Delcamp and count as he plays the exercise. Note how his tempo is even throughout. I suggest you practice this with a metronome.
2) More generally, timing in my opinion seems to be the area most in need of improvement, and again practicing with a metronome is a vital tool. Delcamp recommends practicing just the difficult sections on a daily basis while practicing the entire piece only occasionally. I find that difficult advice to follow, but the general idea is certainly sound. If for example you cannot smoothly transition from measures 8 to 9 in a piece, then playing the entire piece repeatedly is not going to help. On the contrary, it will slow down your progress as every time you stumble you are reinforcing the poor execution. You need to play measures 8 and 9 (in my theoretical example) as slowly as necessary to play it error free, and only when you can do that many times in a row should you increase the tempo just a tad, and so on until you can play the section at speed in the context of the entire piece.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Jules - thank you. I agree with the Slurs. I have a habit of rushing the hammer-on part. I will take your advice on the tempo right now as I work through some of the more difficult transitions (for me) of SAUTEUSE. Like you, I don't feel satisfied if I just spend time ONLY on the difficult areas without playing the piece thru completely.

Ed

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello Lucian:
I spent most of my morning time commening on Ed's playing and am late for work, but just a few quick notes.
1) As I mentioned in your game your slurs are strong (I am a little jealous as your fingers I am pretty sure are stronger than mine :wink: ), but they are not even and that is an important part of the exercise. Please see my comment on Ed's slurs.
2) Would it be possible in the future to direct your camera face on? I would find it more helpful if I were looking at you the way an instructor would view you, face on and with your entire guitar in view.
3) i am thrilled to see how much less you are looking at that left hand! I agree with Ed that this is your best work so far and I cannot help but suspect that your work in this area is a major cause of your obvious improvement. Keep up the good work!
4) I guess as a closing thought you commented on your knowledge of music theory (during your game). Boring stuff unless you are into that sort of thing, but very valuable to at least get the basics down pat. I gather, for example, that lesson 7 is going to introduce us to improvisation. A knowledge of the basics will be invaluable for this.
As mentioned, I am very impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Hello Lucian:
I spent most of my morning time commening on Ed's playing and am late for work, but just a few quick notes.
1) As I mentioned in your game your slurs are strong (I am a little jealous as your fingers I am pretty sure are stronger than mine :wink: ), but they are not even and that is an important part of the exercise. Please see my comment on Ed's slurs.
2) Would it be possible in the future to direct your camera face on? I would find it more helpful if I were looking at you the way an instructor would view you, face on and with your entire guitar in view.
3) i am thrilled to see how much less you are looking at that left hand! I agree with Ed that this is your best work so far and I cannot help but suspect that your work in this area is a major cause of your obvious improvement. Keep up the good work!
4) I guess as a closing thought you commented on your knowledge of music theory (during your game). Boring stuff unless you are into that sort of thing, but very valuable to at least get the basics down pat. I gather, for example, that lesson 7 is going to introduce us to improvisation. A knowledge of the basics will be invaluable for this.
As mentioned, I am very impressed with your progress. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Jules!
I already read your comments about slurs vs grace notes (this is new to me too) and I think that will heIp me to do correctly the slurs.
I'll try to find a new position for my phone next time when recording. Now it sit on my stand and is pretty low as I found this high optimal for reading scores.
As I never played any instrument before my contact with the music theory was inexistent. Now that I'm trying to play the guitar I thought that I will find in the lessons what is need to be known in that regards. Seems like is not the case so I'll try to find the basics and get them down pat :)
Thanks again!

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 am
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Perhaps this was intentional but at times it sounded like your were "plucking" strings (one example, the individual notes between the chord arpeggios or whatever they're called in the first line of the piece).
It sounds fine, so maybe you did so intentionally as part of varying dynamics. Sometimes this practice gives the piece a sort of "percussive" (is that a word??) quality, which I like.
If I understand you correctly it was intentional. For example, in playing the first several measures I was playing the repeating G notes using the free stroke while playing the melody rest stroke. While I said intentionally I was not really thinking about it, it just made sense to emphasize the melody while subduing the G's in the background. I also played the base notes free stroke which I tell myself (I think correctly) is correct as again it is the treble that carries the melody, though maybe it is because it is just a lot easier :? . Actually I just picked up the guitar and tried playing the base notes rest stroke and I did not like the sound at all.
Your comment also got me wondering if I am "plucking" the strings instead of using a properly executed free stroke. I think and hope I am not plucking but I will be on the lookout for the next while.
Thanks as always for your thoughtful insights.
After going back and listening to Delcamp's demo I now realize he's playing it the same way. I don't see anything wrong with the way your playing it in any case.
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Here's my first upload, Pavane. I realize this one was not required but I wanted to work on it anyway. It's not as crisp as I like but I'm getting there.

1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100A

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am

test new POV (full guitar) and second version of slurs

Lucian Bistreanu

Post by Lucian Bistreanu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 pm
Here's my first upload, Pavane. I realize this one was not required but I wanted to work on it anyway. It's not as crisp as I like but I'm getting there.

Tom, not crisp not required but well played. :)
:bravo:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 am

Folks, please see message here viewtopic.php?f=1&p=1257542#p1257542
I’m going through old posts, but do check your own if you can
Thanks

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Tom - I liked your Pavane. I focused on your left hand and saw very little hand movement which is great. That is something I need to continue to work on.

ED

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”