D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 91 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LEGATO STACCATO
- page 92 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GLISSANDO
- pages 96-97 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDANTS ET TRILLES
:idea: :arrow: Level D02-D08, Ornaments in baroque music
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 37, 38, 39 and 40. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 15 and 19.
Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LAS HACHAS
Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 97 numéro 39 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) MORDANTS ET TRILLES
- page 19 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

David Florea
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

Jenni Gribble
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA
MORDANTS ET TRILLES

Salvatore Lovinello
MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA
:( + ♫ = :)

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

A head's up onthe baroque onamentation link. A couple of the downloaded examples wont play.

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm

MORDANTS ET TRILLES
LA MIÑONA DE CATALUÑA

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm

I think there may be an issue with the youtub link. I used the media (tv) icon to insert my videos. I’m going to assume that may be why the other examples didn’t load.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 am

David Florea wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm
I think there may be an issue with the youtub link. I used the media (tv) icon to insert my videos. I’m going to assume that may be why the other examples didn’t load.
See this note from Geoff viewtopic.php?f=1&p=1257542#p1257542
I’ll go through some but if you see any of your own posts, do fix them

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Don’t you just love technology! It’s really made life much easier for us. But with it there will always be fixes and bugs. Next step instruct the Ai to fix and debug.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:54 am

Hi David,

Well done. :bravo:

On the trills, it's not enough to hammer and release. It's more of a hammer and pull-off where your left hand lightly plucks the string. Pulling with the first finger keeps the string vibrating to lend energy to the second hammer and the second pull-off keeps the note sounding full.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 am

Here is my recording of page 19. I tend to pull the string off the fretboard when doing the trill--which makes a buzzy/sharp sound. :? My fingers get tired too and I have to stop and rest them.
La Minona de Cataluna.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 am

Also, could someone please help me? I can't figure out the difference between a mordant and a trill.
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Jenni,
Like with David, above, The pull-offs need work. A good trill can make you sound like a guitar guru so it's definitely something to perfect. Like you said, it can cause the string to shift so you have to compensate with the anchored finger. just give it a little back pressure during the trill. Nobody sees the effort you are making but they will marvel at your brilliant trills.

Wikipedia has excellent explanations of mordents and trills. It reads a little dry so I had to think about what they were saying but in the end I did understand the difference.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:18 pm

First let me thank Robert for his contributions to our class. You observations and critiques are honest and helpful.

Now for Jenni's question... Note that the music on pages 96 and 97 has two lines of music. In each exercise the top line is the music as written and the bottom line is the music as played. The symbols on the top line are baroque short hand for the way the music is to be played.

Mordants and trills are a Baroque ornamentation. The mordant symbol with the slash goes down a note and up while the mordant symbol without the slash goes up a note and then down. The mordant symbol without the slash is interchangeable with the trill (tr) symbol.

How long or short the mordants are is a subjective choice my the musician. The maestro wrote the music the way he did for illustration. Normally you would only see the top line with mordant symbols.

I'm sure this is a simplified explanation as music theory is far from simple. In last years class the maestro played a baroque piece with ornamentation but gave no explanation. That confused the heck out me. Now I understand why he did what he did

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:29 pm

This post went south. Moderator please remove.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Oh boy! Did I mess up. I spent the month practicing the Catalunia with the wrong phrasing and then recorded it this morning. I then compared it to the Maestro's example and knew right away I had mess up. So I went back and played the piece with no trills or mordant and no repeat to get the phrasing right and re-recorded the Cataluna with both no trills or mordant and with the trills and mordant. Yeah I know it's not as good as it should be with a lot of finger fumbles. No need to point those out. I know where they are.

no trills.mp3
Catalunia wrong phrasing.mp3
Catalunia 2nd try (1).mp3
Mordants and Trills.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Salvatore Lovinello on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 am

Salvatore,
Thank you for your kind words. LA MIÑONA is the perfect piece to develop and perfect trills. The simple melody lets you concentrate on what's important. It's worth spending more time on.

If you have time, Las Hacha seems to be a good exercise in reading music. It's complex switching of high-voice/low-voice made me play from the score instead of simply learning and playing from memory.

Everybody, keep going. You're doing fine. :bravo:

Best regards,
Bob G.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 pm

I will keep practicing. The trills may take a little longer for me to get the hang off. I need to develop some strength in my left hand. I have an easier time playing them on my Martin than I do my Cordoba.
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”