D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:36 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm
I'm sure this piece needs to be played a bit faster
I don't think you ever have problem with speed. For example, in this case, the prof's piece was 1 min, yours is 50 secs!

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Here is my attempt at the Sor - I apologise if I have not participated much just lately. My father in law died last month - we spent a lot of time visiting the hospital and now there is probate, clearing out a house selling his car etc etc etc.
So a few buzzes here and there and I'm sure this piece needs to be played a bit faster but exams are just around the corner and I have much catching up to do.

Wow, that was so good! How did you manage to learn it so fast? I need way more time to learn a piece..
This is one that I played in a previous life so I had the advantage there.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to sight read several bars ahead and play at the same time, so I have to memorise every piece I play. With the Bararolle it has taken me 3 days to get to the stage where I am confident to play without looking at the music. I will be posting that one shortly, though it is far from perfect.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:36 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
I'm sure this piece needs to be played a bit faster
I don't think you ever have problem with speed. For example, in this case, the prof's piece was 1 min, yours is 50 secs!
Thank you for your comment Chu, I always try and make a concious effort to slow down for recording - I tend to play too fast when I'm nervous and that of course leeds to mistakes.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Here is my version of the Barcarolle - I think there are one or two notes missing in the harmony and the odd one added, but after 3 days practice its is starting to get somewhere close.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:14 pm
Here is my version of the Barcarolle - I think there are one or two notes missing in the harmony and the odd one added, but after 3 days practice its is starting to get somewhere close.

Bummmer!!! just realised I missed out all the rests
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Lu primm'ammore seems to be ok, but still has some really awkward LH acrobatics. Also, I don't understand measure 2: why A + G are in a rectangle and what is this line from D (previous measure) to G? These are different strings, it cannot be glissando or something.
The rectange indicates a passage which is difficult and needs to be practiced, the line runs from the open D to the * indicating that the open D is to be damped.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:30 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Beautiful.
You spotted the rests. From standing start to this in 3 days is impressive, I've played it through a few times and just getting the feel of the piece.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Dave, may I ask you to do a favor to relocate the camera (or change your sitting position) so that your right hand is more visible? It would be nice to see how you attack the strings. Thanks!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 am
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Dave, may I ask you to do a favor to relocate the camera (or change your sitting position) so that your right hand is more visible? It would be nice to see how you attack the strings. Thanks!
OK I'll give it a try...

Is this position any better?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:40 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm
Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:
OK I'll give it a try...

Is this position any better?
Wow, nice, thank you, Dave!! Your right hand is so much more visible now. In previous videos it was almost impossible to see what your fingers were doing. Now you can receive much more critical feedback :)

The rendition is good! All rests are there, but I'd say you play the last note of these measures more like a 16th and the rest is a dotted 8th. Musically, it might be even better though (highlighting the character of the music).
I noticed that sometimes you keep the RH index finger at a distance from strings and it is not very relaxed.
Also, in that sequence of 16ths you do not do RH finger alternation. That's ok for this piece, but if you are to play faster passages that might be an issue.

Thanks again for changing the position!
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Wow, nice, thank you, Dave!! Your right hand is so much more visible now. In previous videos it was almost impossible to see what your fingers were doing. Now you can receive much more critical feedback :)
Ha ha, somehow I knew that was coming, but of course one of the great things about Delcamp is the excellent critique which hopefully helps us all to improve. So thank you for your excellent hawk eyed observations which are certainly very much appreciated.
Andrei Puhach wrote:

The rendition is good! All rests are there, but I'd say you play the last note of these measures more like a 16th and the rest is a dotted 8th. Musically, it might be even better though (highlighting the character of the music).
I noticed that sometimes you keep the RH index finger at a distance from strings and it is not very relaxed.
Also, in that sequence of 16ths you do not do RH finger alternation. That's ok for this piece, but if you are to play faster passages that might be an issue.

You are quite right about relaxing the right hand more - in fact I have a problem with relaxing with both hands and in deed relaxing in general while playing. This leads to fly away fingers in both hands and jerky rather than smooth movements.
Is there a book out there somewhere called Zen and the art of classical guitar playing or perhaps meditation and relaxation for the classical guitarist?

As for the 16th notes, I listened to Jean Francois after listening to my recording and this is quite apparent. I rushed into recording the piece (hence the mistake at the end) and didn't bother to count my beats.

I would like to re record this piece, but there is one more piece to do for this month and of course I have many more pieces to record in order to play catch up ready for the exam. I'm not sure when the pieces will be announced but I'm sure it will not be long now.

Thanks again Andrei for taking the time to critique my post. I look forward to hearing your renditions. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 am
Thanks again Andrei for taking the time to critique my post. I look forward to hearing your renditions. :D
I'm a little behind, but getting closer to finishing 2 pieces. I started learning pieces from the end and trying to solidify that as much as possible. Hopefully, this will dramatically decrease the number of takes, as usually toward the end we tend to make mistakes.
Also, today I damaged by 'i' nail a bit. Swiss silk + superglue should do the trick, so I'll continue practicing.
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 am

My submissions for this month. Please give comments.
I think half of the dampings were missing and there were quite a few dead/wrong notes. But it's the end of the month, so here they are:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 am
My submissions for this month. Please give comments.
I think half of the dampings were missing and there were quite a few dead/wrong notes. But it's the end of the month, so here they are:
Nicely played. I'm watching your ma fingers in the exercise as I'm trying to work out the best alternation. You've given me some ideas.
In the LuPrimm I'm not sure about the timing in 1st few bars. Are you holding the first 2 notes of each bar for full length, sounds very even on timing. I've just started looking at this and find the timng surprisingly tricky to get right.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 am

Did not manage to record assignments yet, but got a picture with David Russell (!) :) Assignments coming in a couple days.
David Russell picture.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”