D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Improvisation work - D01
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.

1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.
2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.
3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Finally, we'll look at 8 tunes, pages 33 to 38. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°2
Anonyme : Savez-vous planter des choux ?
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°1

Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).
Anonyme : No le daba el sol
Anonyme : Ah ! mon beau chateau !
Fernando Sor : Leçon II opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Quand j'étais chez mon père
O bella ciao

Jules Wilkins
O bella ciao

Juan M Silva
O bella ciao

Ken Kim
O bella ciao

MikeTaylor
O bella ciao
:( + ♫ = :)

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 am

The improvisation exercise is interesting. In order to upload something that sounds good I need to practice, but then it ceases to be improvisation. Of course that just means I need to practice improvising which of course is the assignment for the next few months.

"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:13 am

Sounding really good Jules!
Kay K7120
S101 C39425

pat_bianculli

Post by pat_bianculli » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 pm

It is lots of fun trying to play as many videos as possible at one time!! Starts to sound like a guitar ensemble!! :) :)
Pat Bianculli
Classical Guitarist - Performer/Educator/ Author
Guitar Instructor/ IB Music United Nations International School
Practical Examiner in Guitar RCM Certificate Program

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 am
The improvisation exercise is interesting.
Wow, Jules. It is beautifully played and your each thumb strokes are very full. :bravo: I'm still stuck at pg.58 exercises; rest strokes together both thumb and fingers. As I see your playing, you have gifted ears(listening). Great job! :bravo:
Ken

Sore Fingers & Mind in heaven
Cordoba Rodriguez - Cedar
Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
La Patrie Presentation - Cedar
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 am

Beautiful! Nice work Jules.
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Greetings all,
Here are the assignments for lesson 07. My apologies for being late.

Warm Regards,
Juan
:merci:

07 Improvise using only four notes D G A B for 20 seconds

07 O bella ciao

07 Quand j'étais chez mon père
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:07 am

Hi, all.

Here are my submissions for 7th lesson. Any feedback is very welcome.

IMPROVISE using only 4 notes D,G,A,B

QUAND J'ETAIS CHEZ MON PERE

O BELLA CIAO
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 am

Juan M Silva wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm
Greetings all,

Warm Regards,
Juan
Hi, Juan.
Nice playing. I watched your submissions and good to have another student stay other than Jules.
One thing I noticed that you are playing 'Quand j'étais chez mon père' minor because you are fretting C Natural instead of C#. Please, watch and compare with Maestro Delcamp's, Jules's or my video. You will hear different note and song. I look forward seeing our progress together. Good work :bravo:
Ken

Cordoba Torres - Spruce
Cordoba C12 - Spruce
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am

Juan M Silva wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm
Greetings all,

Warm Regards,
Juan
Hello Juan:
I took a few weeks off myself due to other pressing matters and sore fingers. As such I have not been watching submissions and commenting as is my usual practice.
I want you to look how steady Delcamp's right hand is. OK, it repositions itself as required depending on the strings he needs to stroke, but there is no twisting in it and the strokes come entirely from the fingers and thumb. I would like to think my right hand is equally steady because this is very important. Now look at your right hand and observe that your strokes come partially from the hand itself and how it twists as it shifts from thumb strokes to finger strokes. Bearing in mind that we are often required to execute both types of strokes simultaneously and the general advice that to attain speed and accuracy one needs to limit movements in both hands to only such movements as are absolutely required you can see that this is not best. I wish I could offer more detail as I suspect your strokes themselves should be modified but I find it difficult to tell. I would like you to practice playing on a single string keeping your right hand rock steady, then add base notes again without any hand movement whatsoever. Make sure your fingers do not kick out while stroking (I don't think they do now, but that could be because your hand moves). When you can do this then play on two strings ensuring that the only hand movement is a slight repositioning. This, I submit, should be your main focus until it becomes totally ingrained and you no longer need to think about it. I promise it will help you greatly.
Now, to end on a positive note, it is smashing to have you rejoin us! Great job on catching up!
Ken:
no wise words (or foolish ones either) for you today.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 am

Hi, Juan.
Nice playing. I watched your submissions and good to have another student stay other than Jules.
One thing I noticed that you are playing 'Quand j'étais chez mon père' minor because you are fretting C Natural instead of C#. Please, watch and compare with Maestro Delcamp's, Jules's or my video. You will hear different note and song. I look forward seeing our progress together. Good work :bravo:
Hi Ken! Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will indeed take a look at that, not sure how I missed it, other that I started practicing the piece not in sharp right from the beginning. :oops:

-Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Juan M Silva

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am

Hello Juan:
I took a few weeks off myself due to other pressing matters and sore fingers. As such I have not been watching submissions and commenting as is my usual practice.
I want you to look how steady Delcamp's right hand is. OK, it repositions itself as required depending on the strings he needs to stroke, but there is no twisting in it and the strokes come entirely from the fingers and thumb. I would like to think my right hand is equally steady because this is very important. Now look at your right hand and observe that your strokes come partially from the hand itself and how it twists as it shifts from thumb strokes to finger strokes. Bearing in mind that we are often required to execute both types of strokes simultaneously and the general advice that to attain speed and accuracy one needs to limit movements in both hands to only such movements as are absolutely required you can see that this is not best. I wish I could offer more detail as I suspect your strokes themselves should be modified but I find it difficult to tell. I would like you to practice playing on a single string keeping your right hand rock steady, then add base notes again without any hand movement whatsoever. Make sure your fingers do not kick out while stroking (I don't think they do now, but that could be because your hand moves). When you can do this then play on two strings ensuring that the only hand movement is a slight repositioning. This, I submit, should be your main focus until it becomes totally ingrained and you no longer need to think about it. I promise it will help you greatly.
Now, to end on a positive note, it is smashing to have you rejoin us! Great job on catching up!
Ken:
no wise words (or foolish ones either) for you today.
Hi Jules! It is good to catch up. I hit a very demanding period of work that kept me from posting. Thank you for the keen observation, and wonderful advice. I need to really put it into practice, as I regret to say that I have received comments regarding my right hand flopping all over the place in some of the other pieces. I don't even realize I am doing it. The suggested exercise sounds perfect. I also realize that I need to work on the sound recording, your recordings sound clear and with nice volume.
Between you and Ken, I feel like I am in good company. I am saddened we lost some classmates along the way, and I do hope that more catch up so that the company is greater.

Warm Regards
Juan
1976 Yamaha G-55-1

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 am

Juan M Silva wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Jules! It is good to catch up. I hit a very demanding period of work that kept me from posting. Thank you for the keen observation, and wonderful advice. I need to really put it into practice, as I regret to say that I have received comments regarding my right hand flopping all over the place in some of the other pieces. I don't even realize I am doing it. The suggested exercise sounds perfect. I also realize that I need to work on the sound recording, your recordings sound clear and with nice volume.
Between you and Ken, I feel like I am in good company. I am saddened we lost some classmates along the way, and I do hope that more catch up so that the company is greater.

Warm Regards
Juan
As for the quality of your recordings it is not necessary that it is improved. I have no idea what sort of budget you face and a good microphone will set you back a few dollars. It is something that you have to consider whether it is worth saving up for. It might help you to listen to yourself.

I record myself with a webcam and occasionally it defaults to capture the sound as well, and the quality of the picture may be fine but the sound is horrid. I am using a Yeti microphone for the sound and am basically quite happy with it though I believe there are better solutions out there with the Yeti being designed more for group talking and the like. I think there is a thread on the subject of recording equipment.

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 am

Juan/Jules,
I am following your progress and paying attention to the lessons each of you offer. I wish I was up to submitting but I have fallen too far behind and I am fundamentally not up to this level. I have not quit though and practice each night I can. At this time I am 177 days from retirement and plan to dedicate much more time to learning the instrument when my time is my own and so one goal will be to eventually catch up with you.

Take care and tame the fingers.
James
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, NO 18
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J-40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:23 am

James A. Showalter wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 am
Juan/Jules,
I am following your progress and paying attention to the lessons each of you offer. I wish I was up to submitting but I have fallen too far behind and I am fundamentally not up to this level. I have not quit though and practice each night I can. At this time I am 177 days from retirement and plan to dedicate much more time to learning the instrument when my time is my own and so one goal will be to eventually catch up with you.

Take care and tame the fingers.
James
You will have to add Ken to that list I think :D . Alas, work does have a nasty way of getting in the way of things yet more pleasurable. I am probably older than you and a lot longer way to go before I can retire :lol: Anyway, ultimately it isn't about keeping up...its more about keeping things enjoyable and making such progress as we are able.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”