D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Paul Cezanne
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Paul Cezanne » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 pm

And here is Lundi again with much better thumb work. I was asked to watch Paul Galbraith and Redmond O'Toole and I noticed that they both pretty much flex much of their thumb from the 2nd joint from the tip. I tried to do that here, it felt much better. (I also braced my wrist against the body of the guitar to ensure I couldn't use arm movement to "pluck" with the thumb. This is where vertical players have an advantage, our right arms can be entirely free from the guitar, giving you great freedom of movement, but I digress.)

This is only after about 5-10 minutes of trying this, I know I can do better. Watching this videos make me realize my thumb is rigidly locked into position, which seems really unnatural. But I just watched some snippets of Galbraith and O'Toole and they have that same curve to the thumb. I think this might be because if you don't but the backwards curve into your thumb your thumb, when moving, is parallel to the string!

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 pm
And here is Lundi again with much better thumb work. I was asked to watch Paul Galbraith and Redmond O'Toole and I noticed that they both pretty much flex much of their thumb from the 2nd joint from the tip. I tried to do that here, it felt much better. (I also braced my wrist against the body of the guitar to ensure I couldn't use arm movement to "pluck" with the thumb. This is where vertical players have an advantage, our right arms can be entirely free from the guitar, giving you great freedom of movement, but I digress.)

This is only after about 5-10 minutes of trying this, I know I can do better. Watching this videos make me realize my thumb is rigidly locked into position, which seems really unnatural. But I just watched some snippets of Galbraith and O'Toole and they have that same curve to the thumb. I think this might be because if you don't but the backwards curve into your thumb your thumb, when moving, is parallel to the string!
Excellent camera angle to observe your technique. It does look a bit more fluid. I suspect that with additional practice, it will become more and more natural.

Keep up the fine work!

Bill
1964 Shinano No 83
1981 Asturias
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

Aaron Haskett

Post by Aaron Haskett » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Looking great Paul! Glad you've found a way to keep playing, keep up that thumb work!
-Aaron

Cordoba C3M

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”