D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mike Cook
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Mike Cook » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Tom - very nice playing. I’ll have to try your fingering.
2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Charles Cook wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:38 pm
Tom - very nice playing. I’ll have to try your fingering.
Thank you Charles. I hope the fingering suggestions are helpful.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez Corum.500 ARJ strings

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Wow, it's been a busy month. I broke the M finger nail on the 5th and it is just grown enough to almost catch a string, making it a challenge to get a consistent tone quality. Your feedback is welcomed!

Saltaren

Packington's Pound
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:44 am

Charles Cook wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 pm
Wow, it's been a busy month. I broke the M finger nail on the 5th and it is just grown enough to almost catch a string, making it a challenge to get a consistent tone quality. Your feedback is welcomed!

Saltaren

Packington's Pound
Nice playing Charles. First of all, while listening to Packington's Pound I was impressed by the "sustain" of your guitar. Wow - I could really hear those base notes ring, and with a very consistent volume, which I think means a very well made instrument. You sure know how to select a guitar.

1) Watch your Packington's Pound upload and notice your left hand. The thumb position, and hand rotation in particular. I think the hand and arm (elbow moves with it) rotation is to help get leverage to press the strings down as you play certain parts. Have you tried moving your thumb towards the middle of the neck? You might get more finger strength (and reach also) that way, a sort of "clamping" action I suppose.

I noticed you positioned your thumb behind the neck when playing Saltaren (i.e., when playing chords).

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Tom,

Thank you for the feedback and the complements on the guitar. I love playing it. However the sustain and harmonics cause a bit of a challenge as open wound strings want to sing when I strike a treble string. This has forced me to play more attention to damping.

I really try to keep the thumb behind the neck, but this old habit is hard to break. It just wants to creap back up there. I’ll need to give this more attention.
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:37 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:54 pm
Edna - one thing with the Saltaren - the reason why they want you to play/strum with the "i" finger is that they want you to keep your thumb on the "a" or "e" string, depending on the chord, helping to damp out the inappropriate bass note.

Ed
:shock: Thanks for letting me know Ed... I'll practice then with my Thumb on the A and E string...I missed reading that part !
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm
Edna Lopez wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:51 am
Hi Tom. What type of guitar you have?… The sound is well defined...unlike my videos (although likely are my fingers fault). The 2 pieces sound great to me.
Hi Edna. It's a Takamine C132S with Hense brand normal tension strings. I normally use Aquila or Savarez (500 ARJ). If you are looking for a brighter sound I would give the 500 ARJ strings a try.

Nice playing by the way. I can relate to the 100 takes comment. In my case, add to that some fairly flamboyant cursing from time to time.

You are far more comfortable strumming the guitar than I. Saltaren sounded great, as did Packingtons Pound. Packingtons Pound took a lot of practice in order to hit those notes reliably while trying to get a decent tempo.
:merci: Tom. ... No Wonder it sounds way better than mine... 5X the price.. .I need an upgrade soon :wink:
Edna Lopez

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:34 am

Edna Lopez wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 am
:merci: Tom. ... No Wonder it sounds way better than mine... 5X the price.. .I need an upgrade soon :wink:
Edna, I'm doing the math. .. Perhaps you are right, although I don't think your guitar sounds bad (to my old ears anyway ). But if you are looking, be sure to bring your guitar with you and have somebody play both while you stand back and listen. You'll be able to compare and see what you're getting for the money.

There’s lots of good used guitar options out there (they're hard to sell and have pretty lousy resale value ).

Glad to hear from you. Hang in there. We're all in this together!

OlgaVovk

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04 Cutting packinton's Pound

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Dear all,

I love you all and
Happy New Year!
I know it is January 21, but sill, it is never too late to wish happy to anyone :-)
Finally after a long travel and even longer procrastination, below if my playing of Cuttin's Packinton's Pound.
I set metronome on 120, I believe it is too slow and the music sound very grim.
But it is my best for know.
It took me a while to get used to that type of music. But it was very educational. I feel like I streched the limits of my ears to a new type of music.
I feel know that I can definitely improve my playing of that piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkirFR ... e=youtu.be

Thank you for watching and your comments,
Best,
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:54 am

OlgaVovk wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Below if my playing of Cuttin's Packinton's Pound.

Best,
Olga
Hi Olga. Glad to hear your post. I don't see anything wrong with playing it slow, a piece can sound good even when played slow. Besides it's more important to hit the correct notes and fingering at this point anyway.

One thing I did notice though was it sounded like your B or G string was out of tune? A little flat I think. Great work otherwise :bravo:

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Olga - I agree with Tom. Well done. I actually liked the piece when it is played slower than the marked tempo.

Ed
Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:12 am

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:54 am
OlgaVovk wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Below if my playing of Cuttin's Packinton's Pound.

Best,
Olga
Hi Olga. Glad to hear your post. I don't see anything wrong with playing it slow, a piece can sound good even when played slow. Besides it's more important to hit the correct notes and fingering at this point anyway.

One thing I did notice though was it sounded like your B or G string was out of tune? A little flat I think. Great work otherwise :bravo:
HI Tom and ed,
Thank you fro your kind responces :-)
I am trying to master the piece and it is coming along.
Yes, Tom, my G string was out of tune. Thank you! It was a very cold day when I made my recording, and I use the area heater to keep myself warm.
that affected my guitar.
I had to tune in quite often.
Next time I should plan to do my recordings on warmer days :-)
Thank you!
Olga

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”