D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James A. Showalter
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

On damping-

As I've already expressed this is my second attempt at D01. Last year I submitted through Lesson-5 before I realized that I couldn't keep pace with the class and quit submitting. There were three things I was consciously trying to achieve and a year later the goal is the same. The 1st goal was to just translate the notes from the musical score into executable play. I was able to do that but I lacked fluid motion and it was not musical which led to shortfalls in the second goal of developing rhythm and steady tempo. The third goal was to implement damping and the effect of trying seemed a contradiction for musical play. After a time I had made the decision to waive off the requirement for damping. This was the first realization I made that I was not keeping pace with the class. I did not quit the class but assumed an audit kind of participation. I kept working with D01 with the 3 goals in mind for the rest of last year and found that I was in a better position to progress at the start of class this year.

I'm telling this for no other reason than to illustrate that learning in this lesson format is not structured such that every student will advance at the same pace. I may be back in D01 next year if I do not get a handle on effective damping by the end of this term. Some of you have talent that is a benefit for perfecting these techniques. Some of us have to work harder. If I've maintained a common theme in my comments for this group I believe it was that perseverance, dedication and adherence to the structured format presented in the lessons is the way forward. I believe some of us in this group will go on to becoming accomplished classical guitar players. I would like to include myself in that group but I am a realist and am happy to just continue advancing at this pace. Damping is a difficult concept to perfect. At least for me.

James

A practice tip:
I use a red pencil to color the asterisks on the musical score to highlight for me that damping is needed. Not sure if because I did ignore the meaning of them before that it caused me to not respond 100% when they occur but I've found that the red highlight helps to alert me of the need to damp when required.
1972 Morris No. 12
1972 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 18
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (D28, MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm

To anyone struggling.. Specifically with playing fluid..

Try playing from memory guys.

If I don't have a piece memorized I'll never play it smooth, personally

There are too many things to think about with guitar. The more you can automate and the less you have to think the better.

I personally think reading while playing is hard.. So why do it except in emergency?

If you try you might be surprised how well you can remember a piece if you have never tried.

Just my personal approach. It might work for some of you. It might help to remove one factor (which note is next) and allow you to focus on another ( how is my rhythm).

I need to go record O Bella Ciao for L7. I've been kinda lazy about playing the past few days. Some times a break is okay though.

Everyone is doing great!
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm

James,
I absolutely agree that everyone should learn and progress at their own pace. It was not my intention to put preassure on Ian or anyone else to "keep up".
There are many challenges in this lesson format. The main challenge is obviously to learn how to play classical guitar. We must also know how to record ourselves. There is also the challenge to be good at encouraging and giving advice to the other students, without hurting anyones feelings.
In the beginning of the course I wasn't so active with the comments, but I'm trying to be that now. Perhaps I'm overdoing it?

All the best,
Staffan

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm
I personally think reading while playing is hard.. So why do it except in emergency?
If you're good at reading, I think it can be a great help to keep track of where you are and what's coming next when you're playing a peice.
I'm not so good at reading, sometimes I even have to count the lines to know what the note is :oops: .
But I'm hoping that I will improve as we go along. If I become better at it, I think it will help me learn the peices more quickly.
When it's time to record the lessons, I have usually played the peice so many times that I can play it from memory.

However, I don't think one way is better than the other. I think you should use the method that feels best to you.

Best regards,
Staffan

Ian Howe

Post by Ian Howe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:51 pm

Agree with the above.sight reading is skill i'm still developing and this course is definitely helping to more quickly identify the notes.
I also find a big help is listening to the music a few times a day and just humming it in your head throughout the day :)..Especially a new tune trying to get to grips with.
Alvaro No.20
Take it one | | at a time

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Staffan,
I have a strong voice which is often misinterpreted. I did not feel your inquiry was meant to be anything more than advancing the concept of damping where you observed that it could be an improvement. That whole discussion brought to light in my mind the experience I had last year when I avoided damping entirely because it was too much to think about. In that regard Chris is exactly correct. If you can assign any part of it to memory and free up active thinking then efficiency is gained. Towards that end coloring the damping asterisks like stop signs frees up mental space that can be applied to improving play. I too worry about offering advice because of the hurt feelings conundrum but there is no future in that.

This is the best,
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 am

Hello Classmates,

For what it's worth...

It seems that most of us (speaking in general terms) have a hard time accepting criticism without getting hurt or angry or defensive … and just as many of us have a hard time giving criticism without making others hurt or angry or defensive. I honestly believe that all of us provide our suggestions, opinion, critique, criticism, however you want to label it, as a means to to help our fellow classmates improve. Mostly, our words are actual honest feedback, meant to help the person we’re addressing. Giving our opinion,advice, suggestion or criticism is something that may cause anxiety, and perhaps we tend to focus on not hurting anyone’s feelings than on our main critique, which is often lost among platitudes.

Ultimately, it is an attempt on each of our parts to help each other get better. In an age where we communicate behind a keyboard, it can be difficult to determine a person's true intentions. I don't think that any of us are mean spirited. So I suppose that by offering "suggestions," perhaps it can be seen as positive and helpful and as a result, an instrument for improvement and change, no pun intended. When others offer their advice, opinion, critique or criticism, find the positive in it. Sure, it may come across in a manner not intended, but in most of our interactions, you can find a nugget of gold: honest feedback and a suggestion for improvement.

Bill
Last edited by William Byrd on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1981 Asturias C 3
1992 Asturias Custom Build
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 am

William Byrd wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 am
Double post
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1981 Asturias C 3

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am

Here's my Lesson 5 submission:

Playlist

Individual Videos
Polyphonie #2

Leccion 1

Exercices de Simple Alternation 1

Exercices de Simple Alternation 1

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 am

Michael McClenney wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am
Here's my Lesson 5 submission:
Nicely done Michael. The only thing I would mention is on Leccion 1 to be aware of keeping your thumb out in front of your other fingers when playing the bass notes. Other than that, good execution.

Bill
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1981 Asturias C 3

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 am
Nicely done Michael. The only thing I would mention is on Leccion 1 to be aware of keeping your thumb out in front of your other fingers when playing the bass notes. Other than that, good execution.

Bill
Yeah, I switched from playing with the guitar on a raised knee to using a rest/cushion and it's kinda throwing off the placement of my right hand. I can't quite put a finger on what I need to do to fix it properly, but I'm dead set on using the rest because it's so much more comfortable than using a footstool. Thanks very much for the feedback, it's accurate and helpful.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 pm

Well done Michael. That's a really good submission.

Michael McClenney

Post by Michael McClenney » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 am

Thanks Staffan

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Michael,
Excellent form and execution. Very fluid and musical.

Now, in keeping with my overly critical character I would point out that in "Exercises In Simple Alternation I" that 33 notes are played for each repeated piece. Just saying.

James
1972 Morris No. 12
1990 Takamine C132S
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Awesome work Michael! Smooth legato and tone!

I also find it hard to keep my right thumb in front while plucking with it. Especially if I pluck with my thumb while my other fingers are already anchored somewhere that make it awkward for thumb's end stroke. My theory is to bend my already anchored fingers' 2nd or 3rd joint to give the thumb a proper positioning as it plucks. I shall try that on future lessons. I'm a newbie so just take it with a grain of salt, but not having a teacher, we just got to do what we got to do and hope for the best. :mrgreen:

I tried it in this short clip

Dont worry too much tho. Gohar Vardanyan said it is ok if the index touches the thumb a little. (Around 1:20-1:35 in her video below.)

What kind and size of cushion are you using? I bought a small one because it was the cheapest one I found. Unfortunately, it didnt have enough bulkiness to hold my guitar in 45 or more degrees of angle. I had to use my footstool in the lowest setting in addition of the cushion to get the proper guitar angle for my liking. It feels comfortable enough, but prepping it take too much time. In the end, I mostly just use the footstool by itself because I don't get to practice for a long period of time anyway.

Jono
Last edited by Jono Diel on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”