D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 160 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) Exercices sur les harmoniques à l'octave (Exercises for octave harmonics):

exercise 110, play natural octave harmonics using both hands.
exercise 111, natural octave harmonics using one hand.
exercise 112, artificial octave harmonics: F and G on the first string.
exercise 113, natural and artificial octave harmonics: scale of E minor.
exercise 114, natural and artificial octave harmonics: arpeggio of E minor.
exercise 115, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the thumb.
exercise 116, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the index finger.

Today we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 27 Anonyme Saltarello
I offer a fingering which makes it easier to control how long the basses ring on. You are free to use it or, along with the majority of guitarists, to opt for a fingering with all open strings in the bass.
Each phrase is repeated a second time with small embellishments. Thus bars 9 to 16 repeat bars 1 to 8, and bars 25 to 32 repeat bars 17 to 24.
The harmonics of the last few bars are natural harmonics produced by lightly touching the harmonic node of the string with a left-hand finger. In the final 3 bars, make a barré with the left-hand finger, just barely touching the strings.

- page 53 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°38
This is a lively piece. In my view, it should be played staccato to reveal its resolute, masterful side. A rare alliance of conviction and conciseness, it is a little masterpiece.

- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
In this arpeggio study the three voices are each expressed in their turn. Mostly the bass appears on beats 1 and 4, the melody on beats 2 and 3, and the middle voice in between beats. Use rest stroke on the first string with the ring finger in order to bring out the melody.

- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita
One of the charms of this very poetical piece is the melody in artificial harmonics. To produce these harmonics on the bass strings, I use my thumb to touch the harmonic node of the string at the indicated fret. Doing it this way allows me to stay close to the normal position.

- page 128 Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Lecciones III n°11
This is a lesson where the melody is played in artificial octave harmonics. To produce an artificial octave harmonic, the guitarist lightly touches the string with the index finger at a dividing point (a harmonic node) situated half way along the vibrating length of the string, while at the same time plucking the string with the ring finger as near as possible to the bridge. One of the difficulties is to play the melody in harmonics mezzo forte and the accompaniment piano. Either the ring finger or the little finger can be used for playing harmonics. The ring finger seems to me to be easier to use. The little finger is an interesting option because it can pluck the string further away from the point where it is being touched by the index finger. The further away from this point you can pluck the string, the louder and clearer is the sound obtained. To increase volume and clarity, stretch the plucking finger as far as possible from the finger touching the harmonic node.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions: :
Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Chu Bun
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

DaveMoutrie
:( + ♫ = :)

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Has anybody tried the second piece? It probably takes me a whole month and I have not even started yet.

Just found out that I have not learned how to sightread the artificial harmonic stuff (plucking hand). This will take more than a month.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm
Has anybody tried the second piece? It probably takes me a whole month and I have not even started yet.

Just found out that I have not learned how to sightread the artificial harmonic stuff (plucking hand). This will take more than a month.
Looks like an interesting piece though and well worth the effort. In the text JF mentions lightly touching the string with the index finger, yet in the video he appears to be lightly touching with the thumb in his right hand - I guess there are alternatives and you just have to experiment and see what works best for you.

I'm way behind now what with one thing and another - working over christmas and new year, builders in and wasn't able to practice, visiting relatives etc, etc., - have a couple of days off in the week though so will have an attempt at this piece in between playing catch up.

As always keep practicing and bonne chance mon ami. :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:36 pm

I believe somewhere in the instructions monsieur Delcamp said he used the thumb so the plucking hand will close to its natural position to play the treble notes. I found it easier to use the index finger but am trying with the thumb now because it seems to make more sense. I also have problem finding time and motivation for practice and these pieces do not get any easier. Good luck to everybody (looks like just you and me for now!)

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:18 pm

My 1/2 for this month. This is a very tough piece for me, and as usual, many dead/buzzed/wrong notes. I was so glad to reach the end that I forgot to play the last chord! Sorry for the low quality, my computers broke and I had to record used my cheap phone.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:18 pm
My 1/2 for this month. This is a very tough piece for me, and as usual, many dead/buzzed/wrong notes. I was so glad to reach the end that I forgot to play the last chord!
despite the speed, buzzes etc I think you have caught the essence of the piece, sounds really good for a first posting.
I've always viewed Barrios as difficult, but the harmonics add an extra dimension.
Congratulations on your perseverence

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:42 am

Colin,

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm getting better at playing harmonics, but still cannot sight read them and had to memorize the notes for this piece. The other piece for this month seems easier, but I have not much time to spend on it yet.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm

My 2/2 for last month.

I don't really know what to say, Many errors, choke points, ... But I need to move on to this month assignments.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm
My 2/2 for last month.

I don't really know what to say, Many errors, choke points, ... But I need to move on to this month assignments.
The problem with this piece is that the position changes need to be quick in order for it to sound legato - and they also need to be accurate in order for it to sound good.

You have a very good consistent timing throughout the piece, and you have fast position changes as well. Most of the notes are right. With a little more practice you could improve accuracy and have it sounding really good.

As for having to rush pieces to get them done in time, you have my sympathies on that one.

You have made some amazing progress since I first saw you play in D03 - Keep up the good work! :D
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

Here is my version of the Carcassi etude.

Still a few mistakes and the rest strokes don't seem strong enough. I could also improve the dynamics - another week and I could have this sounding a lot better, but no time just now as I have a lot of catching up to do.

Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

Still a few mistakes and the rest strokes don't seem strong enough. I could also improve the dynamics - another week and I could have this sounding a lot better, but no time just now as I have a lot of catching up to do.
Most of the rest strokes sound very clear. Don’t think it will take long for you to catch up.

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 pm
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

Most of the rest strokes sound very clear. Don’t think it will take long for you to catch up.
Thank you for your comment Colin, I'm struggling a bit with the Barrios - mainly the harmonics, but hope to catch up before too long.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm
My 2/2 for last month.
Watch out for the G# in bar 5 of the melody and overall bringing out the melody line throughout the entire piece.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”