D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
OlgaVovk
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Dear all,
Below are my first attemps of
Trilles #38

and Gaspar Sanz La Minona de Cataluna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sWIzMsEhfQ

I still did not get all trills in La Minona de Cataluna. Need to do more work on these.

Thank you!
Olga

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Olga - nice work. The Trills were spot on. The Cataluna, for all of us, is a work in process. I noticed in the B section, you were doing a Trill on the B string, I believe the Trill should be done on the A string, similar to 3rd beat in measure 2 of the A section.

Ed
Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm
My posts. Took me a while to get my fingers to cooperate on these.

Hi Tom, I am very impressed on your La Minona de Cataluna.
Are you sure you never played it before ;-)?

Best,
Olga

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm
Olga - nice work. The Trills were spot on. The Cataluna, for all of us, is a work in process. I noticed in the B section, you were doing a Trill on the B string, I believe the Trill should be done on the A string, similar to 3rd beat in measure 2 of the A section.

Ed
Hi Ed,
Thank you!
Yes, I am still not sure where and when make these thrills.
I need to practice more,
As Tom ususally sais 100 repetitions,
Thank you!
Olga

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 pm

OlgaVovk wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm
My posts. Took me a while to get my fingers to cooperate on these.

Hi Tom, I am very impressed on your La Minona de Cataluna.
Are you sure you never played it before ;-)?

Best,
Olga
Not this one. I have worked basic trills before, and that was the critical skill required (I believe) for an otherwise fairly short piece (good thing for that). My practice focus was playing the trills to a slow tempo, on-tempo and working up from there, to develop control AND speed.

On the other hand, Las Hachas gives me fits. It took several tries to get a decent recording. I had trouble with buzzing strings, and hitting the correct notes with my thumb, among other things.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez 520 PI strings

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Tom - I agree with you on LAS HACHAS. I am having a hard time getting to the point of even attempting a first recording. On measures 13 and 14 my fingers keep stumbling over each other.
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 pm
Tom - I agree with you on LAS HACHAS. I am having a hard time getting to the point of even attempting a first recording. On measures 13 and 14 my fingers keep stumbling over each other.
Ed, yep measures 13, 14 and 15 for me actually. Something that might help, this is what I did (still do):
a) work on measure 15 first. Keep at it until you can hit the all the notes and on tempo.
b) now work measure 13, strive to:
- keep your "a" finger planted on that "F" note, AND
- be sure to release your index finger after one count, to free up your hand a bit while proceeding to hit the rest of the notes in that measure.
c) then work measure 14 using the same strategy
d) after (and only after) you get from a-c, then start to work 13-16 as a group. This will also take a while, hitting that first note pair in 15 ("b" half note "plant" and "g" eighth note) and progressing through the measure will take time to hit on tempo.

Things still get crowded as you stated, but I found that working one part at a time, and by keeping my "a" finger planted to help me accurately place my middle and pinky fingers when trying to hit all those notes, helped. It took many, many repetitions to get these three measures in the ballpark so to speak. I still am working them as a "drill".

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Tom

Those are excellent ideas. I will start using those today during my practice. I like the idea of keep the "a" finger planted.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
Ed, yep measures 13, 14 and 15 for me actually. Something that might help, this is what I did (still do):
a) work on measure 15 first. Keep at it until you can hit the all the notes and on tempo.
b) now work measure 13, strive to:
- keep your "a" finger planted on that "F" note, AND
- be sure to release your index finger after one count, to free up your hand a bit while proceeding to hit the rest of the notes in that measure.
c) then work measure 14 using the same strategy
d) after (and only after) you get from a-c, then start to work 13-16 as a group. This will also take a while, hitting that first note pair in 15 ("b" half note "plant" and "g" eighth note) and progressing through the measure will take time to hit on tempo.

Things still get crowded as you stated, but I found that working one part at a time, and by keeping my "a" finger planted to help me accurately place my middle and pinky fingers when trying to hit all those notes, helped. It took many, many repetitions to get these three measures in the ballpark so to speak. I still am working them as a "drill".

What I am finding is that on measure 13, after playing the F chord, my "a' finger is damping the string of the next notes. It seems like I have to play the F then move the "a' away from the 3rd string.
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
What I am finding is that on measure 13, after playing the F chord, my "a' finger is damping the string of the next notes. It seems like I have to play the F then move the "a' away from the 3rd string.
Ohhhhh. Sorry, I strayed way off course on this.. From what I can tell you've got strong fingers, you might try holding the "a" finger such that it was pressing straight down (perpendicular to string and fret-board), bending the finger slightly at the joint just above the nail (you can see this in my video ~ 40 secs). Make sure it bends outward, not inward. I do this at the beginning of the piece as well. This is the source of tension in my playing that you mentioned in your earlier comments, I think.. This strategy requires a little more downward force on fingers to achieve.
Last edited by Tom Wimsatt on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Tom - thanks for these ideas. I will give them a try. Today my focus was just measure 15 of this piece. I did sneak in a few of 13 but kept getting tripped up with the damping. It is interesting that I don't have the damping problem with 14 going from the C chord to the F note. I think the barre on 13 is causing the "a" finger to be pulled down toward the 3rd string.
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Your right Ed, I forgot about the barre in 13. That's what happens when I go from memory :oops: ! Good luck!

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:07 pm
Tom - thanks for these ideas. I will give them a try. Today my focus was just measure 15 of this piece. I did sneak in a few of 13 but kept getting tripped up with the damping. It is interesting that I don't have the damping problem with 14 going from the C chord to the F note. I think the barre on 13 is causing the "a" finger to be pulled down toward the 3rd string.
Ed, that's perfect. Concentrate on 15 first. :bravo: Have fun above all (so explore other parts occasionally too).

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Tom

Those are excellent ideas. I will start using those today during my practice. I like the idea of keep the "a" finger planted.

Ed
And when you mute with your thumb, in measure 13, the low "A" note you played in measure 12, your thumb can rest on that string and provide additional support to the RH, and can readily hit that "C" note in measure 14. 8)

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Tom - that brings up the question of when do you mute the A note from measure 12. You have to hold the F note in measure 13 for 3/4 of the measure - do you mute the A at that time? Or do you use another method of muting the A (? back of thumb) when playing the F?

Ed
Cordoba C7

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”