D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ed Butler
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Another try at Las Hachas, without the repeats. Tried to reduce pressure of the fingers of the left hand, however I could feel the pressure increase when we got to the final measures.

Cordoba C7

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Dear all,
Here is my latest La Minona de Cataluna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqwICN_ ... e=youtu.be

I was preparing for AMSF concert, and tried my best.
I also recorded Paganini Ghiribizzo #1, because was working on it for the concert. In Ghiribizzo, I am still struggling on making it more singing and more legato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgeoSlz ... e=youtu.be

From Tom "Question: would it be possible to change the camera position a bit next time, so we can see your right hand. I was going to make a suggestion on RH technique to someone else, using your post, but I decided against it because I couldn't see your RH"

Tom, is it OK now? Which video looke betetr for you? Or should I try the diferent angle? Please advise
Thank you!
Olga

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:28 pm

Olga - well done. I will let Tom comment but I think the video of the Paganini was a netter view of your right hand.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 am

OlgaVovk wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:10 pm
Dear all,
Here is my latest La Minona de Cataluna

I also recorded Paganini Ghiribizzo #1, because was working on it for the concert. In Ghiribizzo, I am still struggling on making it more singing and more legato.

From Tom "Question: would it be possible to change the camera position a bit next time, so we can see your right hand. I was going to make a suggestion on RH technique to someone else, using your post, but I decided against it because I couldn't see your RH"

Tom, is it OK now? Which video looke betetr for you? Or should I try the diferent angle? Please advise
Thank you!
Olga
Hi Olga, the camera position is great. Your RH technique is perfect :bravo: !

Ed: What I was thinking of recommending was that you strike the string sort of parallel to the guitar, to get a softer sound. Take a look at the way Olga plays. From my own experience, it is pretty hard to change RH technique. I have, at best, managed only minor changes (I received some feedback from Nelson Lee a few months back), but its a work in progress. I thought I'd suggest this anyway, you might make better progress than I.
1989 Takamine C132S, D'Addario Pro-Arté DynaCore (TNH-3T, SDN-3B) strings

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Tom - I had been told that striking the string parallel gave it the tinny, clicking sound, although most of the masters did it this way, but I will try it to see the difference.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Tom - I had been told that striking the string parallel gave it the tinny, clicking sound, although most of the masters did it this way, but I will try it to see the difference.

Ed
Ed - I once made a recording using a high-quality microphone and the clicking sound you noted above was the first thing I noticed in my own playing. I figured my nails were either too thick, too long, or both (I returned the microphone :roll:, problem solved :D ). The plucking technique never crossed my mind. It can't hurt to try it anyway.

PS: I actually returned the microphone because I didn't like using my computer to shoot the videos. Too much aggravation getting it into proper position.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:26 pm
Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Ed
Ed - I once made a recording using a high-quality microphone and the clicking sound you noted above was the first thing I noticed in my own playing. I figured my nails were either too thick, too long, or both (I returned the microphone :roll:, problem solved :D ). The plucking technique never crossed my mind. It can't hurt to try it anyway.

PS: I actually returned the microphone because I didn't like using my computer to shoot the videos. Too much aggravation getting it into proper position.
Tom - I went back to the computer, and a samson mic, because I was not happy with my phone's recording. I did change the strings a week ago from high tension to normal tension. Listening to my recordings of last year, my tone is better, now I just have to work on the finger/nail interaction - where and how long - to smooth out the sound. Should take me another year to figure that out.
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Recorded simple arpeggio

fingers parallel

fingers not parallel

At least to my ear, sound is "warmer" when not parallel - strings seem to remain on nail a little longer. Carrying this tone over to my exercises is my challenge
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:03 am

Ed Butler wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:39 pm
Ed, you have absolutely improved since last year! Congrats on your success! I agree with your approach also, figuring stuff out as you go, when the time is right.

OlgaVovk

Post by OlgaVovk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi Ed,
I actually like your both recordings with fingers parallel and finders not parallel.
They both are good and can be usesd to serve different purposes. You know what I mean.
In some pieces you want your sound more crisp and in other you want it more deep and warm.
And, thank you for sharing your techniques and your thoughts, that is much appreciated,
Best,
Olga

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Olga, Tom - thank you. Olga - you are right about the different tones (just understanding why and hearing the difference between the two is a major accomplishment for me). For example, the Paganini that you played sounds better and brighter with the parallel hand.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Tom - what was that software you used last year to record the musical game?
Cordoba C7

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm
Tom - what was that software you used last year to record the musical game?
Hi Ed. I use MuseScore. I would highly recommend this SW and can help you if you have questions.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Tom - thanks. I will download it now.
Cordoba C7

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 am

Hello Fellow Students.