D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Staffan Strömberg
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm

Very nice submissions Judy, they sound very musical. I agree with Bill that you can perhaps play the bass notes a little louder.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Perfect submissions Jono. Very musical and you also perform the dampening really well.

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:15 am

Thank you much, Bill and Staffan!

Also, I'm glad to hear that my Takamine got some compliments hehe.

Keep up the great work classmates!

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 am

Okay all, I want to express a bit of frustration. It has to do with the lack of interaction from both moderators and student tutors. Being that we are in the first year, it seems to me that this is the time when we need the most interaction in order to develop good habits. I know we do our best to help each other out, but at the same time, a little interaction would be greatly appreciated in my opinion. Just something I was thinking about and wanted to see if others have similar feelings.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 am

William Byrd wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 am
Okay all, I want to express a bit of frustration. It has to do with the lack of interaction from both moderators and student tutors. Being that we are in the first year, it seems to me that this is the time when we need the most interaction in order to develop good habits. I know we do our best to help each other out, but at the same time, a little interaction would be greatly appreciated in my opinion. Just something I was thinking about and wanted to see if others have similar feelings.

Bill
Rather than offer any specific critiques right now, I would like to offer a word of encouragement. At this point you all are playing at what I think of as very good for first year. Learning classical guitar is a long haul effort. It doesn't come with simply learning to read music or translating it to positions on a guitar. In each successive year, there are new challenges in complexity as well as challenges of hand and mind to overcome. There is also the reward of being able to play complex music and there is the loveliness of the music itself.

Take your time. For me, this is fourth year and the music pieces are so lovely I want to work on perfecting some of them before moving on. I'm working on clarity and specific issues of right hand technique. I will most likely revisit fourth year again in the next semester to fill in the pieces left behind. I've had to downsize guitars several times before finding one that my ageing, inflexible fingers could stretch across. My current guitar has a 580mm scale size as opposed to the standard 650mm. Nevertheless, each practice session is pleasure and each day I come a little closer to that dream of perfection. At least, my wife says she enjoys listening to me but then, 'wife'.

Best regards,
Bob G.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:00 am

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 am
William Byrd wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 am

Bill
Rather than offer any specific critiques right now, I would like to offer a word of encouragement. At this point you all are playing at what I think of as very good for first year. Learning classical guitar is a long haul effort. It doesn't come with simply learning to read music or translating it to positions on a guitar. In each successive year, there are new challenges in complexity as well as challenges of hand and mind to overcome. There is also the reward of being able to play complex music and there is the loveliness of the music itself.

Take your time. For me, this is fourth year and the music pieces are so lovely I want to work on perfecting some of them before moving on. I'm working on clarity and specific issues of right hand technique. I will most likely revisit fourth year again in the next semester to fill in the pieces left behind. I've had to downsize guitars several times before finding one that my ageing, inflexible fingers could stretch across. My current guitar has a 580mm scale size as opposed to the standard 650mm. Nevertheless, each practice session is pleasure and each day I come a little closer to that dream of perfection. At least, my wife says she enjoys listening to me but then, 'wife'.

Best regards,
Bob G.
Thank you for the words of encouragement Bob. Obviously I was feeling frustrated when I wrote the post but have since calmed myself and returned to the practice regimen, very slow and somewhat steady.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 am

Hello All,

Please find my lesson 7 submissions. As always, your feedback is welcome.

Bill

Last edited by William Byrd on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:56 am

Great post, Bill! Consistency of your tempo is improving as it was almost dead perfect in these submissions. Unfortunately you have switched the titles in the videos of Bella and Quand. Or maybe my phone just acted up for a second. You can double check if they were indeed switched.

PS: love the background!

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 am

Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:56 am
Great post, Bill! Consistency of your tempo is improving as it was almost dead perfect in these submissions. Unfortunately you have switched the titles in the videos of Bella and Quand. Or maybe my phone just acted up for a second. You can double check if they were indeed switched.

PS: love the background!
Good catch. I can't believe I got those mixed up. Anyway, it should be good now.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 am

Nice submissions Byrd-man (Bill)

:)
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:45 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 am
Nice submissions Byrd-man (Bill)

:)
Thanks Chris.

Did you find one of my YouTube channels?
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi, James. In regards with the Takamine132S, I was debating with myself if I should put fret marker stickers on my Takamine. Or if I should just learn to get used to playing without markers. Maybe it is for the best. Did yours come with built-in fret markers?

For recording, have any of you classmates try recording with two microphones? I'm very interested in learning how to do it. I would still record without using a DAW. Android has an app called Open Camera that can record videos in stereo mode, so it will still be unprocessed. I can't wait to share a successful video with it. Maybe I will try it with Anonyme Menuet on Lesson 8. I will just be using 1 large diaphragm condenser and my SM57+mic activator with a Scarlett 2i2 to my phone. :casque:

Edit: I have posted the stereo mode of Menuet in my Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ZwMG ... bpJFviYKSQ
Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think of the audio. I did my best to level my 2 different mics. Right channel ended up with more noise due to it being the SM57. I do like how the SM57 picked up some warm tones from my guitar though.

Jono

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:44 pm

Jono Diel wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:10 pm
Hi, James. In regards with the Takamine132S, I was debating with myself if I should put fret marker stickers on my Takamine. Or if I should just learn to get used to playing without markers. Maybe it is for the best. Did yours come with built-in fret markers?

For recording, have any of you classmates try recording with two microphones? I'm very interested in learning how to do it. I would still record without using a DAW. Android has an app called Open Camera that can record videos in stereo mode, so it will still be unprocessed. I can't wait to share a successful video with it. Maybe I will try it with Anonyme Menuet on Lesson 8. I will just be using 1 large diaphragm condenser and my SM57+mic activator with a Scarlett 2i2 to my phone. :casque:

Edit: I have posted the stereo mode of Menuet in my Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7ZwMG ... bpJFviYKSQ
Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think of the audio. I did my best to level my 2 different mics. Right channel ended up with more noise due to it being the SM57. I do like how the SM57 picked up some warm tones from my guitar though.

Jono
I'm currently recording with a MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone. I'm just not sure if I'm getting the most out of the mic with regard to recording my videos. I shoot with a Canon SL2 and a Canon 10-18 mm lens, so that setup is good. I just feel I should be getting more from the mic. When I vlog, I use a Rode mic, which I'm happy with for that purpose. Maybe I should give that a try.

BTW...no fret markers IMO. A couple of my older Yamahas have them at the 5th and 7th fret and I never pay any mind to them.

Try Chris' suggestion a while back and listen to your videos through a bluetooth speaker rather than the onboard speaker in your phone or computer. It's a HUGE difference. When I edit my videos now and listen to others submissions, it's always through a good bluetooth speaker. It sounds 10 times better.

Bill
Last edited by William Byrd on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:47 pm

A couple pieces of masking tape on top of the neck work for easy removable fret markers.

You see pros doing it allll the time.

Listening back to your recordings with decent headphones or speakers is crucial. Glad I could help with that Bill.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks for the advice Bill and Chris! I use my Brainwavz HM5 for quick playbacks monitoring. Once im finished with a recording I use my CCA C10 to see if everything sounded pleasant. I love these two broke friendly headphones. They give the best bang for your buck. The CCA C10 has 5 drivers each side, and the EQ is fairly transparent. I have never tried realtime montoring with playing CG tho. A bluetooth pair sounds good for that so long as theres no latency. Because there will be no obstruction while playing. For singing and stuff like song covers I always record with real-time monitoring.

Bill, that mic you have looks sexy! Prolly just need to experiment with placement and volume. I had to back my mic a foot. My Condenser points at 12 fret while sm57 is from the bridge of guitar and points toward the soundhole.

Which audio interface do you use btw?

Chris, im about to buy a masking tape , thanks!

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”