D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
William Byrd
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by William Byrd » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:26 am

Jono,

I don't use an audio interface per se, as I record to a DSLR SD card and then transfer that to my MacBook Pro and edit in FCPX. If you're referring to my phantom power supply for the XLR mic to the camera, I use a Neewer, nothing fancy, one input one output.
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 am

Ohh I didn't get it when you mentioned it the first time. I thought you had to record your videos and audio separately. What you have is pretty neat and handy. :casque:

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 am

I used a lint remover as a temporary fretmarker fix.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/auyhmU9Vg4SgR3TJ7

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:44 am

Hi Classmates, here are my Submissions.

D01 07 Improvise using only four notes D G A B

D01 07 Quand j'étais chez mon père

D01 07 O bella ciao

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 am

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:44 am
Hi Classmates, here are my Submissions.
Overall good submissions Robert. There were a couple of issues with Quand j'étais chez mon père however. You did not play with rest strokes but rather with free strokes. This created a problem for you with your attack on the 2nd string. You were consistently striking the 2nd and 3rd string simultaneously. At first, I thought perhaps your guitar was out of tune, but it had to do with your attack and striking two notes at once. If you rest stroke the notes, you will by default avoid this problem. Something to be aware of going forward.

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 am

Jono,
I agree with the general synopsis that it is better to not have the markers on the guitar. That said I will tell you that I did add a marker at the 5th fret of the Takamine when I got it. It was my 1st classical guitar and I began my journey to learn on it. I placed a small dot on the top rim of the fretboard using White-Out, the type repairing fluid used by secretaries and every person who ever had to complete a paper for turn-in at school. After it dried I touched it with clear finger-nail polish to harden it. It was quite a nice dot and I only just flaked it off to ensure that when I tell you it is not permanent and will not damage the finish I am speaking from my own experience. My other guitars do not have the dot and I've been concentrating on learning all of the notes on the fretboard which makes it unneeded. Of course you need to learn specific positions on the fretboard so another useful thing to do is to learn the 7th fret by heart. If you know the 7th you easily know the 5th and 9th. Learn the 7th by making it a point to play the harmonics for each string at the 7th fret and the 12th fret. Do this by lightly touching a barre at the 7th and 12th fret and gently exciting the strings which I do by making a brushstroke off the top of my "m" nail. By comparison of the tonal quality of the harmonics this is very useful for knowing how well your guitar is tuned when you 1st pick it up.
James

I had to correct my discussion about harmonics. It's the 7th fret you compare not the 9th.
My bad!
Last edited by James A. Showalter on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

James A. Showalter

Post by James A. Showalter » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 am

Bill and Robert,
I've been away from the forum for a few days and have just reviewed each of your submissions. I find them to be exceptional in the progress each of you has made. It seems that as we approach the end of our class year the musicality and confidence of play exhibited by all of us who have worked so hard to learn this instrument is being realized exponentially. This is especially true for each of you. I have nothing more to offer in terms of constructive criticism that hasn't already been pointed out by keener eyes than mine. I read where Bill expressed a feeling of the heart in his plea to motivate each of us to interact at a higher level and to proffer greater wisdom in our reviews. I'm not certain my wisdom can always be a contribution to the art of learning. Like Chris I can express ill-confidence in my life's cumulative value when considering how much music I have understood and can use as a basis for intellectual exchange. But Chris and I are probably both wrong.
James
1972 Morris No. 12
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka, No. 20
2014 Sakurai Kohno Pro-J
Martin Guitars (MC28, D12-28, J40)
National Resonator Guitar
Les Paul 1960 reissue

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 am

That does make sense, James. People from back then survived without it as well. It is for the best. :bye:

Happy practicing everyone!

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 am

Great progress Robert! Keep it up! :casque:

I'm trying to re-read now how to practicipate in the exam. So many words! Hopefully I understand all the instructions. :contrat:

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 am

I grew up with fret markers, you will never convince me that they aren't utterly useful :P

When you figure it out, let us know Jono.. Lol. I forget where to even look to find the details anymore.

I like the cutout Robert. I wanna find a solid top one for my pops. He's real keen on them. They are lovely guitars to play, and very comparable to a regular guitar in sound.

I wish you could just tag people instead of having to quote them. Hopefully all relevant parties see my response.
Last edited by Christopher Langley on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 am

Jono Diel wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 am
Great progress Robert! Keep it up! :casque:

I'm trying to re-read now how to practicipate in the exam. So many words! Hopefully I understand all the instructions. :contrat:
There should be concise instructions coming out the first or second week of April. In the meantime, make to sure join the Spanish forum and introduce yourself. Here's the link: https://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/ ... fd4950cabb

Bill
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1972 Sadao Yairi

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:36 am

William Byrd wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 am
Overall good submissions Robert. There were a couple of issues with Quand j'étais chez mon père however. You did not play with rest strokes but rather with free strokes. This created a problem for you with your attack on the 2nd string. You were consistently striking the 2nd and 3rd string simultaneously. At first, I thought perhaps your guitar was out of tune, but it had to do with your attack and striking two notes at once. If you rest stroke the notes, you will by default avoid this problem. Something to be aware of going forward.

Bill
Thank you Bill,
after I read you comment, I realized it by my self :merci: I have problems to get a good sound with my thumb (lost it once in an accident and have no feeling in the top) thats one issue I have to work on.

Jono Diel

Post by Jono Diel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:24 am

I was hoping you'd now, Chris hehe. Bill, showed to the correct direction. Im in the step where my first two messages in the Spanish forum was approved.

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 am
Hello All,

Please find my lesson 7 submissions. As always, your feedback is welcome.

Bill
Well done Bill. You're looking more relaxed now :). You have a nice and consistent rhythm. Your hands and posture are looking good. The chords in the improvisation exercise was a nice touch. :bravo:

Staffan Strömberg

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Excellent submission Robert. Like Jono and James said, I think you are showing great progress. Your left hand is looking better now, especially on Quand j'etais chez mon père.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”