FAQs for lessons

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: FAQs for lessons

Post by GeoffB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:56 am

BreathingSince72 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 am
This very specifically states that the lessons are free but and are directed to the isolated individual without access to a teacher. Can the teacher be in any style of guitar? I have an instructor who teaches guitar and several other instruments but it is not my perception that he teaches classical style. I believe he knows something about it, just simply does not teach that style specifically. What would you recommend in a case like this? Are these lessons for those without access to a classical guitar teacher or for individuals without access to any teacher?
[...]

Hi Victoria,

The idea is that it can be confusing to follow a course of classical guitar lessons from two different teachers at once. If you are receiving classical guitar lessons from your teacher, whether he is fully qualified or not, as opposed to lessons in some other style, then Mr. Delcamp believes it could clash with the forum lessons.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Victoria Ferrell
Amateur luthier

Post by Victoria Ferrell » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi Geoff,

I think I understand. I would not say I am receiving classical guitar lessons as in our first lesson, he wanted me to sit in what he called a relaxed flamenco style with the body of my guitar off to my right. I respect my instructor but I won’t sit like that. I do understand how having separate instructors can confuse the issue, in any subject. Different opinions, different styles, so many areas where thoughts and practices may diverge.

Thank you for your reply.

Victoria
I don't want to play like other guitarists; I want to give voice to the song of my own soul.

Detectorist

Post by Detectorist » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 am

I'm just starting out. When you say that the lessons should be done in about 4 weeks each, do you mean, for example, that the 1st lesson, 'Apoyando' should be practiced for 4 weeks before moving to lesson 2 ?

Thank you.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 am

Detectorist wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 am
I'm just starting out. When you say that the lessons should be done in about 4 weeks each, do you mean, for example, that the 1st lesson, 'Apoyando' should be practiced for 4 weeks before moving to lesson 2 ?

Thank you.
Each lesson consists of a number of exercises - apoyando would be an example of one - and some pieces to practice. A selection of these pieces are also set as recordings to be posted on the forum, . Is is expected that you will be able to complete each lesson in 1 month, but it can take some of us longer. The target is to post 7 sets of recordings before the exam and that is an average of one a month.
Hope that helps.

Detectorist

Post by Detectorist » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 am

I think I understand. I've been confused by the numbers on the videos. So all the lessons under Lesson D01 Lesson 1 are lesson 1, correct? So I'm expected to learn everything in the videos in about a month, right?

John

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 am

Detectorist wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 am
I think I understand. I've been confused by the numbers on the videos. So all the lessons under Lesson D01 Lesson 1 are lesson 1, correct? So I'm expected to learn everything in the videos in about a month, right?

John
Yes, the first post of each lesson contains all the material for you to study that month.

Detectorist

Post by Detectorist » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:55 am

Thank you.

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 am

GeoffB wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 am
Yes they can be audio only, though, as you said, video can be useful even if only for a few examples, so that any general faults in posture, etc., can be spotted.

Geoff
Geoff, I do plan to video my (future) lesson submissions. So this last week, I purchased an iphone tripod-clamp, enabling me to use my iphone atop a tripod, to video (future) lesson submissions.

However, I have been looking at other students' video lesson submissions and they all have the "youtube" designation at the bottom right of their videos. Seemingly then, it is not just a matter of students attaching their respective video MOV clips to a posting (similar to attaching picture JPEG files).

I would appreciate it if you could direct me to any explanations vis-a-vis how students are supposed to post their lesson videos to this board. I would like to practice ahead of time. Does one have to first post their lessons on youtube, before transferring them to this board? (I have never posted personal videos on youtube previously).

Thank you again. Judy.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Judy,

You can attach an MOV file to your post in fact, in a similar way to attaching a JPEG file. It will appear as a link which will play when clicked on. Here's an example of one in another area of the forum.

Most students use YouTube, as you noted. To do that you would need to load your video there first, and then just copy and paste the url address of the video from your browser into your post here. You need to ensure that you mark it as public on YouTube so that we can see it here, as explained under "How do I make my Youtube videos viewable on the forum?" on the FAQ here. I've never actually uploaded a video to YouTube myself, so if you have any problems with that try asking in the Students' Corner and I'm sure other students will be able to help.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Again, thank you Geoff for the prompt reply. As someone who prefers to maintain a certain level of privacy and therefore deliberately maintains a restricted presence on public forum platforms such as facebook and youtube, my initial reaction was to eschew uploading my (future) lesson-playing onto youtube. However, I have done a trial video at home, and my face is not really visible (with the focus on the guitar).

Clearly, I have many months to choose how to upload my playing. I see that the advantage of the youtube approach is that one has the screenshot of the video in the post and a reader can just click it to start it, whereas with an attached MOV file, one has to download the MOV file to open it.

Good to know that both options are available. Thank you for so kindly responding to all my questions. Your forbearance is well-appreciated.

Regards, Judy.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed May 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Judy, you also have the option to make your YouTube videos as "unlisted". It means that your videos won't be searchable, and they only can be seen using direct video link, which you then would paste here at the forum lesson topic.

The difference as opposed to posting MOV files will be that also unregistered forum browsers have access to your videos, but only via the lesson topics. Files attached directly to forum posts can only be accessed by registered forum members.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Wed May 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Thank you for the additional information Marko. Good to know all the options and permutations available.

Nothing like being a fully-informed consumer ... oops, aspiring novice classical guitarist!

Thanks again. Judy.

Jess Phillips

Post by Jess Phillips » Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am

This is pretty awesome. I appreciate the opportunity. Next September I think I'll take part in the D03 lessons. Until then I'll have a look through the D02 lessons and see what there is that I can learn from. (I'm sure plenty :lol: )
Cordoba C7 (experimenting with strings)
Godin ACS-SA

Jess Phillips

Post by Jess Phillips » Tue May 08, 2018 4:00 am

My only regret is not finding these lessons earlier! haha
Still, I'm looking forward to it. :merci:
Cordoba C7 (experimenting with strings)
Godin ACS-SA

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 am

Jess Phillips wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am
This is pretty awesome. I appreciate the opportunity. Next September I think I'll take part in the D03 lessons. Until then I'll have a look through the D02 lessons and see what there is that I can learn from. (I'm sure plenty :lol: )
It’s also worth skimming through D01. One thing that is rarely taught in guitar tutor books is damping (stopping notes over running) and D01 starts this off from the beginning with many simple pieces.
Look forward to seeing you in September.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”