Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
mike in cumbria

Re: Students' Corner

Post by mike in cumbria » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 pm

How much time are you all able to give to guitar practice daily? Some days I don't have time at all, other days it can be a couple of hours. Probably not the best way, but that's life.

Mike

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jules Wilkins » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 am

I spend hours on the weekends and minutes some mornings and try to get in at least an hour most evenings. According to what I have read focus is more important than time spent so a few pushups every now and then during a long session helps to refresh the mind. I think it also depends on how new one is to the guitar. Some exercises can be very hard on untrained muscles and too much practice can harm them to the point that it might take weeks or even months for something to heal. I also need to warm up before diving into the material, and that alone can easily take 30 minutes, so I don't know what to make of suggestions to practice 15 minutes only some days. If I dive into the work before warming up I just make way too many mistakes and I get frustrated, so a 15 minute workout would just be some warm up exercises for me.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

mike in cumbria

Post by mike in cumbria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks Jules
I find I get back-ache if I do an hour solid, even though I'm trying to get as good a posture as possible. Press-ups in between sounds like a good idea!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm

mike in cumbria wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 pm
How much time are you all able to give to guitar practice daily?
Mike
I think you will find a large variation between students. Some do the recommendation at the beginning of each lesson group, but others do 1-2 hrs a day.
I generally manage 30mins on a good day but break it up into 5-10 min blocks. 1hr is unusual for me.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

mike in cumbria wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 am
Thanks Jules
I find I get back-ache if I do an hour solid, even though I'm trying to get as good a posture as possible. Press-ups in between sounds like a good idea!
My back aches went away once I started using a Barnett style guitar support.

I always, without exception, start every practice/performance/session, with at least 10 minutes of playing a scale preceded by stretching for about one minute even if that is all I have time for that day. I practice in 15 minute chunks of time with a short rest and stretches in between each chunk. I always, without exception, do not even take my guitar out it's case one day a week.

mike in cumbria

Post by mike in cumbria » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 am

Googling "Barnett style guitar support"...

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am

I recently saw a video on Curiosity Stream covering sleep. One segment covered studies that show that taking a nap after trying to learn something complex greatly improved retention of the material, especially if the person actually dreamed about the subject but even if they didn't, the difference between the group that did nap and the group that didn't was dramatic.
Not everyone can take a nap after practice but perhaps practicing before bedtime may have some benefit.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 am

Robert Goodwin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am
Not everyone can take a nap after practice but perhaps practicing before bedtime may have some benefit.
There have been a number of studies in this area and most show that the sleep doesnt need to be immediately after the practice, just that a sleep period is taken between learning and testing. The brain appears to do a lot of memory filing and reordering during sleep.

Magdy Shehata

Post by Magdy Shehata » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

I recently got into a mess .. I don't know where to begin or how ??...
I've had my guitar for 2 years , slooow progress and nothing regular or in focus :(
I'm really into classical music and i have worked my way through sight reading but still too complex and it takes eternity to figure out the notes
I really need help about how to know what I lack and how to work on it - like a curriculum or something _ as I do not have the chance to have a teacher
thnx in advance :]

Jules Wilkins

Post by Jules Wilkins » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:51 am

Magdy Shehata wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm
I recently got into a mess .. I don't know where to begin or how ??...
I've had my guitar for 2 years , slooow progress and nothing regular or in focus :(
I'm really into classical music and i have worked my way through sight reading but still too complex and it takes eternity to figure out the notes
I really need help about how to know what I lack and how to work on it - like a curriculum or something _ as I do not have the chance to have a teacher
thnx in advance :]
One thing that somewhat surprised me as I started reading various threads on this forum is the astounding number of decent guitar players who are in fact self-taught. Do not get me wrong, a good teacher is undoubtedly worth every penny you pay him or her as they will see problems you may never otherwise become aware of, to name just one of many benefits. But we cannot all afford professional instruction and you like me and countless others resort to teaching ourselves. That is much less of a hindrance today however as it was say 20 years ago due to the internet and sites like this.
I have been playing for longer than you, well, if you add up the various spurts of time I have put in over the years, and I can well relate to what you are experiencing. My solution was to take the free lessons here and start at lesson 1 of level D01. If you do not find that challenging then you probably are not trying hard enough. Set the bar as high as you can while still being able to succeed. The biggest obstacle you and I and countless others is the one we erect ourselves, that is, tackling material that is beyond ourselves. Lesson programs like this are structured to the extent that each successive lesson builds upon the skills acquired in the preceding lessons. Do not neglect the boring exercises but rather constantly try to perfect them. Learning to play a piece well is your reward, but it is largely the exercises you perfect that enable you to play the music well.
The huge benefit from these lessons however is that you will give and receive feedback from fellow students. We may all be in the same boat, but from my observations the feedback is valid and helpful.

As an aside, as you have been playing for two years you may well be able to catch up with the rest of us. Just make sure you don't do so at the expense of glossing over the material.

I hope to see your first submission in D01, lesson 1 and promise to offer you my 2 cents worth.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Jeffrey Wijnans

Post by Jeffrey Wijnans » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Do some of you get muscle soreness from playing? This may sound weird but my left shoulder feels like its sore from playing. I got in a good amount of practice time yesterday so I guess its from holding up my left arm.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 pm

I've just started but I'm only able to give full concentration for about 15 minutes a day. When I returned to playing I made the decision that I wouldn't "noodle" and call it practice; whatever I did, I'd do it for a reason and keep track of it in a journal so that I could fix errors and solve issues with my playing. I didn't want to continue to ingrain bad habits.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

utkudemir

Post by utkudemir » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi from Turkey,
I am wondering when will you start the online classical guitar lessons in 2018? I want to start this lesson because I will understand better in this way instead of reading the method books.
Thanks!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi utkudemir,

Welcome to the forum! The lessons start up again in September each year. It is still possible to join this year's lessons, starting from the beginning and catching up, or you might prefer to just look through the lessons at your own speed in preparation for joining the next course. You can find more details here.

Meanwhile, please start by introducing yourself here. (There are some ideas on things to say, if you need any, here).

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Marlene Finch

Post by Marlene Finch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Can anyone guide me here?

I've been practicing the lessons, and noticed that in the upper right hand corner of some of the pages, a guide is displayed showing the notes and fingerings.

On page 14, of lessons, the note "b" appears to have 2 different fingerings. Am I mis-reading the information?
I've attached a picture.

Thanks for your feedback!
Cheers!
Marlene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”