Video Camera recommendations?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Dirck Nagy

Video Camera recommendations?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi all

As I'm a bit out of the loop, I thought I'd ask for recommendations...

I need a new video camera. Requirements are:
  • rudimentary adjustable field of view or zoom capability
  • can record directly to computer via USB
  • also can record stand-alone
  • as cheap as possible!
I would be using this to archive performances and lessons, and also to skype. Ultra-high definition is not necessary!

So, I'm hoping for something a step or two above the built-in camera on my laptop.

A smartphone is out of the question.

What video recording setups have you all used?

cheers!
dirck

Peter Frary

Re: Video Camera recommendations?

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 am

I use a Canon 80D DSLR synced to a Tascam DR-44WL for audio. But it sounds like you want something more simple. You might consider on of the all-in-one cams like the Zoom Q4N Portable Handy: built-in stereo mics and HD video designed for musicians.
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

richtm

Post by richtm » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes, I am using a Sony HDR-MV1 - for the beginning pretty convenient and easy, but I already know, that there is better and easy stuff out in Terms of Sound, e.g. Zoom H5 microphone…, but then you need to cut it together
Regards from Hamburg :bye:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 pm

I think yr gonna want one of those zoom recorders that does both sound and video. I know I want one. :)
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:31 pm
I think yr gonna want one of those zoom recorders that does both sound and video. I know I want one. :)
Sorry, I pushed "submit" before i was ready.

Thanks, but too expensive. I can already make adequate audio recordings; what i need is a very basic video recorder to supplement.

just one step up from the laptop's built-in camera ought to do the trick. Does anyone have a "webcam" type that can accommodate narrow and wide field-of-vision? "zoom" lens?

Does anyone use an iPad for video? How is the resolution of older iPad models? Any difficulties dumping the video to computer for editing?

thanks
dirck

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:03 am

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 pm
Does anyone have a "webcam" type that can accommodate narrow and wide field-of-vision? "zoom" lens?
I like my Logitch c920 ($70). You can set the zoom aspect easily. USB connection. Can be mobile with a laptop. Very easy to use. I use it for making vids and for skype teaching. I use it at its 720p setting (it has higher resolution available but I don't need it. Has lower res settings too.). Here's a still from a 720p vid made with it (reduced in resolution to meet the forum posting size limit). When I need to be mobile, I prefer to use a phone camera (an old phone used off the grid) with a tripod mount.
vlcsnap-2017-09-23-09h52m04s759.jpg
How is the resolution of older iPad models? Any difficulties dumping the video to computer for editing?
I have an old iPad and its camera is too low in quality for me. Good outdoors in sunlight. Bad indoors with typical room light. No problems, though, in getting files onto the computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:00 am

Lawler wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:03 am
Thanks for the review! will look into it.

cheers!
dirck

Return to “The Café”