The Sopranos ending

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Maxxhig17

The Sopranos ending

Post by Maxxhig17 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello everyone.

So I know i'm about 8 years late for this discussion, but I just finished up The Sopranos. What an amazing show, I loved how the music on it was like a character in of itself. Anyway, as with many others, the ending left me confused. I wasn't irritated, and the more I think about it the more I actually like how it ended. What are your guys' thoughts?

Lovemyguitar

Re: The Sopranos ending

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:30 pm

I thought that the cable had gone out on my TV. When I realized what really happened, I liked it, I thought that it fit well with the various ambiguities that were always a part of the show.

Maxxhig17

Post by Maxxhig17 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:I thought that the cable had gone out on my TV. When I realized what really happened, I liked it, I thought that it fit well with the various ambiguities that were always a part of the show.
I completely agree. It keeps up the theme of the show that closure is a gift, not a guarantee... kinda like in the Employee of the Month episode with Dr. Melfi's rape and in Pine Barrens with the Russian. I still would've loved it if the last scene of the show was Silvio waking up from his coma and saying "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:10 am

Ha-ha! That would have been funny! I have never been a huge TV watcher, but I do miss that show, The Sopranos -- it was one of the few shows ever that I actually looked forward to seeing each week.

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:07 am

I absolutely adored that show. I thought the ending, though vague and unsatisfying, was the perfect note to go out on.
Great musical selection too in Little Feat's "All that you Dream"...and of course that song by Journey.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Just don't get me started on Lost!
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Never seen any Sopranos, but the ending, which I heard about, seemed like a good idea to me.
Lost was good, except for the last 10 minutes.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Tony got whacked
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
2018 Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundo flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:29 pm

I have seen the entire Sopranos series three times...it's so good.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:39 pm

I heard several interviews with the show's writer (his name is slipping my mind) where he showed a bit of frustration with his audience. He kept pointing out that Tony and the others are just horrible, morally bankrupt people. He was perplexed at how Tony was adored by the audience. Given this, I was expecting a brutal ending for the family.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:00 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I heard several interviews with the show's writer ... where he showed a bit of frustration with his audience. He kept pointing out that Tony and the others are just horrible, morally bankrupt people. He was perplexed at how Tony was adored by the audience...
David Chase created the show, and if it was he with whom you heard interviews, I find his "frustration" a bit hard to fathom. The characters were not depicted as inhuman monsters: they had vulnerabilities (Tony suffered from depression and would burst into tears!), humanity, compassion for their family, flaws, etc.. That is what made the characters, and even the show itself, so compelling, because it had these characters that both repelled because of their brutality but also with whom people could relate because of their very human qualities (particularly Tony). That is part of the ambiguity of the show to which I referred in my previous post: the fact that the characters were both reprehensible and likable made it more difficult to interpret them or judge them as one or the other. If the characters had been depicted as purely horrible, with no likable or redeemable qualities whatsoever, then it is less likely that the show would have found so much favour with audiences.

Maxxhig17

Post by Maxxhig17 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:08 pm

I think David Chase was frustrated because the fan base has always backed Tony, but during the second half of season 6 when he grew more evil the fans turned on him... And wanted to see him murdered. Personally I don't think he got whacked at the end, but I also don't think it's the point. Even if he wasn't clipped then, he's going to be eventually, and he always needs to worry about it. To worry about every sketchy person he sees even when he's just eating onion rings with his family.
On a side note I just started The Wire. Only 3 episodes in and wow, i'm hooked.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Anyone who like the Sopranos will probably like the Wire.

I agree, the point isn't whether he did or didn't get it. There is a TON of analysis on the web about this. The jacket, the song, the order they are sitting,..., coded messages, references to earlier episodes. It's actually worth digging up and reading some of the analysis. Based on this most people feel he was killed.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Maxxhig17

Post by Maxxhig17 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:40 pm

I guess the main reason I didn't think he was killed is because I don't see why the assassin would walk towards him instead of coming up behind him, i'm sure Tony was armed considering the war with the New York family. Also Meadow was sitting between the two. Though in all honesty, I probably just want to believe that Tony lived haha. But I think if he did survived he'd end up like Junior (saddest part of the ending to me.) I could see him accidentally shooting someone thinking that they're Phil.

Return to “The Café”