Segovia Ramirez vs Walker Santos (or simliar)

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

Segovia Ramirez vs Walker Santos (or simliar)

Post by simonm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Probably impossible to answer, but here goes anyway.

Have you played an early Ramirez and a later Santos Hernandez? (not copies). Or have you heard good recordings/concerts with the famous Segovia 1912 Ramirez (Santos) and good recordings or concerts of a later Santos H guitar? Can you describe any characteristics that are different between the instruments and not differences between the players such as Segovia and Walker?

Background: I was comparing the Brune/GAL plan of the 1912 Ramirez with the Merrin plan of a 1934 Santos Hernandez (recorded on the Sounds of Spain album) and see a very different approach to the design. If someone with superb copying skills built these two instruments what differences would you expect?

celestemcc

Re: Segovia Ramirez vs Walker Santos (or simliar)

Post by celestemcc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:52 am

Frank Wallace just released an album, playing four older/historic instruments, one of them being a 1912 Manuel Ramirez. I've heard it live a couple of times, and it's wonderful. (The others are an 1857 Gutierrez, a Soto y Solares, and a Fleta.) The Album is called "Four Spanish Guitars", just google Gyre Music. (I don't think we can do commercial links, so that will get you there.)
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “The Café”