For The Record

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

For The Record

Post by Pat Dodson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 pm

"Journalist Jonathan Freedland's big sister Fiona was the person he always turned to for advice. When she knew she was dying, she turned to him for one last favour: would he record her Desert Island Discs."

The link below is Jonathan Freedland's beautiful account. It contains an excerpt from their conversation. Further extracts are to be broadcast on Radio 4 on 30th December at 11a.m.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... land-discs

Les Montanjees

Re: For The Record

Post by Les Montanjees » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:18 am

Yet another and beautiful demonstration of the healing and supporting power of music. I've been to a lot of funerals in my life and I can't recall a single one where music didn't play a part. Often it opens the floodgates where grief and tears have been blocked from their natural expression. Sometimes nothing need be said - just the shared listening is enough for the healing process to begin.

I've just put a quote in the Favourite Quotes thread: "You can always go to the music if you can't go anywhere else." Iris Dement, a well-known bluegrass singer/songwriter, had just lost her mother and was at a really low ebb. The only way she got through that very difficult time was to turn to music. Music is a constant, it's always there and never fails. We are so fortunate that as musicians, whatever our level of skill, in our own little corners or on the bigger stage, we can contribute to the well-being, upliftment, joy and healing of our fellow humans and animals; (they love music too). It's a great privilege.

Thank you for posting this, Pat.

Return to “The Café”