If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
violynn

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by violynn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 am

This is only my second post so I hope I’m not being too presumptuous. I’ve played violin for many years and love the physicality of the instrument - you literally resonate with its vibrations. I also love that you completely control the intonation, which is something I miss with the guitar. However, in retrospect, I wish I had concentrated on either the viola or cello (both of which I play). I love the deeper register and sonorous sound of each. The viola is more difficult to play, in part because it requires larger hands, and the repertoire is limited. So, if it couldn’t be my new-found love, the guitar (!), it would have to be the cello. Every instrument has it virtues and I wish I could play them all. Kudos to all of you and thanks for your perspectives. I appreciate all your comments!

PeteJ

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by PeteJ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Interesting. Viola would be my choice partly because ensembles are often looking for one. Are you saying it requires larger hands than cello or guitar? I played viola for a couple of years and this wasn't my impression but I didn't take it very far.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:00 pm

My violin kit cost peanuts, and the same people do a viola kit, which I've contemplated buying, but my cellist friend says, NO!
I've known two professional violists - one has an abnormally small viola and the other has an abnormally large one, which was custom-made for her by a man in the north of England from some broken cellos.
Presumably you could have a viola exactly the same size as your violin and not suffer muscle-memory problems.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:31 pm

violynn wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 am
This is only my second post so I hope I’m not being too presumptuous. I’ve played violin for many years and love the physicality of the instrument - you literally resonate with its vibrations. I also love that you completely control the intonation, which is something I miss with the guitar. However, in retrospect, I wish I had concentrated on either the viola or cello (both of which I play). I love the deeper register and sonorous sound of each. The viola is more difficult to play, in part because it requires larger hands, and the repertoire is limited. So, if it couldn’t be my new-found love, the guitar (!), it would have to be the cello. Every instrument has it virtues and I wish I could play them all. Kudos to all of you and thanks for your perspectives. I appreciate all your comments!
Small repertoire maybe, but the viola is a beautiful instrument that doesn't get the respect it deserves. I've listened to the Lillian Fuchs videos on YT of the Bach cello suites and frankly they're more beautiful in many ways than performances on cello.

Carey

Post by Carey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Cello for me, no question.

violynn

Post by violynn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:11 am

Re. the viola: as opposed to the violin and cello, the full size viola can vary considerably in size, so, theoretically, one could get a viola roughly the same size as a violin but it wouldn’t have the depth of sound (even though it would be strung the same as other violas). The challenge is not just hand size but the heft of holding the instrument up....it can be draining, even with shoulder rests. Since the cello is played held in front of you, the ergonomics are completely different and don’t depend as much on hand size. I loved the viola and was told by Victor Aitay (concertmaster of the Chicago Symphony) who juried my exam on the viola that I would have made a very fine violist. Alas, I never made a career in music but would lose my soul if I couldn’t play an instrument. I am grateful to have found the guitar. I never appreciated before how incredibly versatile it truly is!

Pirooz Emad

Post by Pirooz Emad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:59 am

It would be Piano for me.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm

violynn wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 am
I’ve played violin for many years and love the physicality of the instrument - you literally resonate with its vibrations.
Yes you do; I know now that's true of a cello anyway. I was recently trying one out and playing a simple scale on the C string I could feel the resonance all the way to my toes lol...I think I'm in love. I might have to start taking cello lessons :lol:

ritchie

Post by ritchie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Not the piano for me, it always felt like a machine. I think it would have to be the flute for me. Or maybe the trumpet, or a cello, or a.....

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am

you could try a calliope! Or at the other extreme, a theremin or a glass harmonium. I have sometimes thought a few theremins discretely located in a building's entrances and connected to a set of lights would make an interesting experience for concert-goers, particularly if they knew experimental music was the order of the day. They'd contribute to the music, albeit unintentionally.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm

cello.....or sousaphone

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

cello
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 pm

That's easy: I would just buy another classical guitar! :D

ElectricLute

Post by ElectricLute » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 am

I started playing cello 4 years ago and play in a local orchestra . Frankly , its far too much work having to share practice time preparing for gigs and rehearsals. I do remember reading Giuliani playing cello in Beethoven's 7th first performance , maybe i need his advice . :casque:
Last edited by ElectricLute on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
1984 Paul Fischer
1975 Tamura
2000 Oskar Graf 10 string
Alhambra 9P CW

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Joke aside, I think the cello would be my next favorite too...

Return to “The Café”