If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
serjohn

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by serjohn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:13 pm

In an another life maybe i would dedicate myself to Cello or Viola.i love stings (i play classical guitar)

cefyn

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by cefyn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:28 pm

I'd like to learn the Crwth - it's an ancient Welsh folk instrument, which is played with a bow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/ ... rwth.shtml

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

rikart

Post by rikart » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Undoubtedly this ....
Sextant.png
I have been injured for the last two years, having torn my rotator cuff while sailing. Happily, after lots of physio, it looks like I will be able to get back on the waves next spring. This instrument represents my dream of returning to the helm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rikart /warwick harte

AaronJS

Post by AaronJS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 am

Besides the lute (or the theorbo or vihuela :D ) or the harp, I would most likely choose the cello, or perhaps the viola da gamba. Or any stringed instrument I could get my hands on, really, but those I listed would be my first choices. As far as non-stringed instruments, the organ would be my first choice, then flute, then harpsichord. I took piano when I was younger, but never really enjoyed it or practiced much.
"Beauty addresses itself chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music..." -Plotinus

My guitar: Yamaha NCX1200R

richard3

Post by richard3 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Besides the guitar I already play the trombone

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm

I would love to play the violin, but already spent WAY too much time fooling around with different instruments and still don't consider myself a serious guitar player... So it's going to wait for another life to happen, I guess, as the violin probably wouldn't allow me to play nice sounding music for 3-4 years at least.

omidmnz

Post by omidmnz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:49 pm

I would go for Cello. It seems it's pretty popular here!
Piano would probably be my third choice.

StuMayes

Post by StuMayes » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:06 pm

The recorder (or blockflute, if you prefer) is a much maligned instrument . . . . . goes great with the guitar/lute too. If I were to pick a third instrument it'd probably be piano, but finding the time however......

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm

cefyn wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:28 pm
I'd like to learn the Crwth - it's an ancient Welsh folk instrument, which is played with a bow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/ ... rwth.shtml

Cef

Never heard of that one before! Probably one of the most peculiar answers here, it's nice to see some of us enjoy musical instruments that have gone out of fashion as well :casque:

Dennis Rebbe

Post by Dennis Rebbe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm

It's interesting to read about all your ideas. I play guitar and mandolin for years. A few years ago, I tried playing the piano and the trumpet. But I could not find the time to continue. There are so many instruments, I would like to learn. Sometimes I am kind of envious about other musicians and their instruments. :oops: At the moment I try to learn flute as well. I am highly motivated. But it is hard to find time for 2 instruments.

Michaël Niel

Post by Michaël Niel » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Dennis Rebbe wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm
ISometimes I am kind of envious about other musicians and their instruments. :oops:
This is something I feel too! Like hearing a flute or violin holding a sustained note so beautifully, or the ability some instruments have to be so loud...
But I guess no instrument have it all, they all have their voice. We can either try to get a little of every voice, or to master one. There's probably no right answer here, I guess we should do whatever brings us joy :mrgreen: .

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Michaël Niel wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 pm
Dennis Rebbe wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm
ISometimes I am kind of envious about other musicians and their instruments. :oops:
This is something I feel too! Like hearing a flute or violin holding a sustained note so beautifully, or the ability some instruments have to be so loud...
But I guess no instrument have it all, they all have their voice. We can either try to get a little of every voice, or to master one. There's probably no right answer here, I guess we should do whatever brings us joy :mrgreen: .
I think we're blessed with CG and it being polyphonic. I would enjoy an instrument that's not, but I'd have to be in an ensemble for full enjoyment. With CG we get to stay up late next to a fire with a nice cup of tea and play melody, harmony and bass line, entertaining ourselves to the fullest, and yet, still with the joy of ensemble playing as well should we choose! :casque:
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

Dennis Rebbe

Post by Dennis Rebbe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11 pm

I think we're blessed with CG and it being polyphonic. I would enjoy an instrument that's not, but I'd have to be in an ensemble for full enjoyment. With CG we get to stay up late next to a fire with a nice cup of tea and play melody, harmony and bass line, entertaining ourselves to the fullest, and yet, still with the joy of ensemble playing as well should we choose! :casque:

Yes, you are right! CG and its polyphony is outstanding and makes it to a special instrument. Especially, if you want to play for yourself, without other musicians, the guitar is well rounded. On the other hand, I love the "simplicity" of the flute and the possibility to play only one note at a time.

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Shakuhachi

mvisscher

Post by mvisscher » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:19 am

Never been able to cope with the timbre of piano. Baroque recorder or Marimbas I think would suit my taste...or cello. Bassoon would be nice if someone would make my reeds.

Return to “The Café”