If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by LarryShone » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 pm

Mateus Rodrigues wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm
One of my biggest problems is that I can't dedicate myself to a single instrument and I end up being mediocre in several :P .
That's me all over
I'd like to try the violin next. Oh and cornet/trumpet.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Mike Steede

Re: If You Were to Choose Another Instrument to Dedicate Yourself to What Would it be?

Post by Mike Steede » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm really drawn to lute. I listen to lots of lute music and find it enchanting. I got it in my head that I'd have one made for me and even got into preliminary talks with a luthier. But then I tried one (my guitar teacher played), and I found my tummy and the backside of the lute didn't quite match. I suspect the folks in the middle ages and Renaissance were a little more fit, or at least thinner due to consumption, than I. So, I've been playing in the F# lute tuning on my guitar and building up my repertoire with that. The tonality of the alternate tuning sounds great... but I still have this compunction to give the real thing a go... and they look really cool.
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

mverive

Post by mverive » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 am

Working on cello now, and dabbling with a little violin. Used to play trombone/tuba/baritone, so bass clef is no problem. Violin is a little more challenging due to finger spacing - not much room for error. At first my fingers would want to play CG instead of violin, but after a while you get used to reading the music differently.

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

J.W.C.

Post by J.W.C. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:38 am

Shakelford wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
I love the sound of the old Revolutionary and Civil War three-man marching band, drums and fife or tin whistle! I would love to try the tin whistle! I have always wanted to play an instrument you can put in your back pocket!!
You should give it a try. Super inexpensive to get into, and pretty easy to pick up. If you decide to get one, I'd recommend a high D whistle to start with. I like the Clarke whistles (both the original and the Sweetone).

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 am

J.W.C. wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:38 am
Shakelford wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
I love the sound of the old Revolutionary and Civil War three-man marching band, drums and fife or tin whistle! I would love to try the tin whistle! I have always wanted to play an instrument you can put in your back pocket!!
You should give it a try. Super inexpensive to get into, and pretty easy to pick up. If you decide to get one, I'd recommend a high D whistle to start with. I like the Clarke whistles (both the original and the Sweetone).
Indeed Tinwhistle is a fun little instrument, and they come in numerous keys.
I have a D Feadóg (far dawg) , a C Generation and my latest, a Kerry Low D. Very hard to play that one
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

J.W.C.

Post by J.W.C. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 am

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 am
Indeed Tinwhistle is a fun little instrument, and they come in numerous keys.
I have a D Feadóg (far dawg) , a C Generation and my latest, a Kerry Low D. Very hard to play that one
Yeah, the low D whistles take some practice and are tougher to play, compared to the high whistles. I use a piper's grip for my right hand when playing my low D (mine is a Susato). That helped a lot, once I got used to it.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm also learning clarinet. It takes a lot of puff!
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 am

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 pm
Wait till you try the flute! The clarinet's relatively light on air usage by comparison.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:26 am

Sandaun wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 am
LarryShone wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 pm
Wait till you try the flute! The clarinet's relatively light on air usage by comparison.
I have one of those too. Can get 3 notes out of it so far
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 am

At my age (78) I'm not about to open a new front. BUT, it I were younger, I would like to try the violin.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:10 am

^never too old
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

REHII

Post by REHII » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:20 am

Without question it would be an armonica.

mverive

Post by mverive » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 am

fast eddie wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 am
At my age (78) I'm not about to open a new front. BUT, it I were younger, I would like to try the violin.
As previously mentioned, you're not too old, if it's what you want to do. You might just surprise yourself!

Mike
"(P)Lay on, MacDuff, And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'"

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 am

I would choose the mandolin. Oh hang on a minute - I did. Just waiting to get it back from being set-up before embarking on a new journey. After 35 years of bass guitar and 5 years of classical, playing an instrument tuned in 5ths will take some getting used to but I'm up for the challenge. I don't think I'll be challenging Chris Thile or Avi Avital to a mandolin duel any time soon though!

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Return to “The Café”