Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:52 pm
The idea of keeping chickens purely as pets and then the question of what to do with the eggs everyday is so hypothetical as to pretty much rarify itself out of existence.
Sorry, this is just empty rhetoric.

In fact they kept chickens on my father's council estate during and after the war. And you'll be splitting hairs if you argue the toss over the words "pet" and "purely".
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:52 pm
The idea of keeping chickens purely as pets and then the question of what to do with the eggs everyday is so hypothetical as to pretty much rarify itself out of existence.
Sorry, this is just empty rhetoric.

In fact they kept chickens on my father's council estate during and after the war. And you'll be splitting hairs if you argue the toss over the words "pet" and "purely".
And the council estate chickens were just pets? Not sure what you mean here. Yes, many hairs could be split over the whole discussion.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm

I can't even imagine what Catholic vegans would do if confronted with chicken contraceptives.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:10 am

It's funny, I have a friend with a PhD in chicken nutrition / biology and he's really passionate about, I don't know, I guess I'd call it chicken health. I've had long discussions with him about chicken disease and disorders. If you live near coastal cities in the western and northeastern US, you know that having chickens and fresh eggs have been the rage for some time now. He's totally mortified by this whole development for disease reasons. Most of the people I know with chickens eventually lose them to hawks or foxes. I can't imagine them as pets. There's nothing there. I seem to recall that in the US we were faced with a choice between rabbits and chicken and industry and government chose chicken. I had a young Senegalese woman working for me once and her family lived with the rabbits they raised as food. Rabbit I can see as a pet. The way my friend talks about the chicken business sounds like eugenics, making the super chicken, which is basically chicken contraception since it's all genetics, nutrition, and controlled fertilization. What he says is interesting but makes me want to go veggie again.
物の哀れ

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:16 am

That's nothing ... I have a chicken with a PhD in veganism ...
Anyone else think Fakebook has done enough damage yet?

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:21 am

lagartija wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:26 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 pm
davebones wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:46 pm
... And I hope Riffy never has to look a Tofurkey in the face. They are scary.
They've got faces? :shock:
I know for a fact they do not! I had a coworker who had a rule for what she would or would not eat; “I don’t eat anything with a face.”
She used to eat Tofurkey for Thanksgiving .
I rest my case.
Paul Theroux said " ... nothing with a face or a mother" ... someone he encountered still insisted that chicken was a vegetable.
Anyone else think Fakebook has done enough damage yet?

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am

Contreras wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:21 am
... someone he encountered still insisted that chicken was a vegetable.
Legend has it that the Catholic church, or at least some of its missionaries, defined the Capybara as a fish. I don't know whether it is true or not. One of the characteristics of humans is to persuade people to believe in absurdities. What did Santa bring you? ;-)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:29 pm

nm
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:37 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am
Contreras wrote:
Legend has it that the Catholic church, or at least some of its missionaries, defined the Capybara as a fish.
These things are certainly possible; I know for a fact of Buddhists who pretend fish are vegetables.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 pm

simonm wrote:
Contreras wrote:
Legend has it that the Catholic church, or at least some of its missionaries, defined the Capybara as a fish. I don't know whether it is true or not. One of the characteristics of humans is to persuade people to believe in absurdities. What did Santa bring you? ;-)
Absolutely true! When I was in the Llanos in Venezuela, where the capybara ran and swam in herds (along with iguanas), they explained that when the area was first colonized by the Spanish and they saw that these animals spent their time in the water and had webbed feet, they asked for a ruling from the Pope to determine whether or not these creatures were fish and thus could be eaten during Lent. The Pope designated the aquatic creatures as fish, and everyone (except the capybaras) was happy.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 pm

It's just one more step for the Pope to make fish into salad and I'm vegetarian after all!
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Wait guys - maybe it's semantics, but I thought Vegans were beings from the Vega Star System. :D

In the SF Bay Area, we have tons of vegans and vegan restaurants. I can say from first hand exposure that most are of the religious nature. Meaning that there is no logic or rationale, there is only a faith based belief in veganism. A few friends are vegans for health reasons, as in, their male siblings died at a very young age from cardiac issues which scared them into a vegetarian lifestyle.

The "religious" vegans I have encountered first hand are difficult to socialize with because they tend to be extremist fanatics across the board - not just animal rights issues. So limiting meat consumption for reasons of health and ecology makes sense to me, but may not be an adequate strategy for the staunch believers.

Go in peace! Hug your kids! Happy New Year to all you crazy classical players!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm

lagartija wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 pm
simonm wrote:
Contreras wrote:
Absolutely true! When I was in the Llanos in Venezuela, where the capybara ran and swam in herds (along with iguanas), they explained that when the area was first colonized by the Spanish and they saw that these animals spent their time in the water and had webbed feet, they asked for a ruling from the Pope to determine whether or not these creatures were fish and thus could be eaten during Lent. The Pope designated the aquatic creatures as fish, and everyone (except the capybaras) was happy.
Yes! And it was the Catholic church that imprisoned Galileo for saying the Earth was NOT the center of the universe. :D All we need now is a declaration that cows are actually vegetables. Over night, millions of carnivores will become vegans! Yippee! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:42 am
I'm an omnivore, and I quite enjoy making a tofu and pea curry every now and then.
Revisiting the beginnings of this thread, this post is now relevant to my experience. Tofu is one the things I have long avoided for various reasons not least that it is tasteless chewy nonsense … :mrgreen:

However, last week I was in our new favorite lunchtime place (a vegetarian place with some vegan stuff), and shock, horror, I voluntarily ordered a chickpea and tofu curry. I mainly wanted the chickpeas but I did manage to eat some of the tofu as well. It was in a Thai curry direction. If there was no tofu it would have been better but yes, I ate some tofu. They had a really nice dessert - a panna cotta which used agar-agar as the thickening agent. Now that was really great.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 am

I love chickpea & tofu curry. In fact I have liked every tofu curry I've eaten. I think tofu is good when prepared well.

Return to “The Café”