Been vegan for three months now

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
David Gutowski

Re: Been vegan for three months now

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am

Do you have any info on vegan Milk Thistle? They say it helps clean the liver and stabilizes blood sugar...just wondering if you did any research on it.

Thanks,
David
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 am

By the way, Tom Yum soup w/coconut milk and tofu is so delicious! And Vegan!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 am
By the way, Tom Yum soup w/coconut milk and tofu is so delicious! And Vegan!
Sounds good...what is tom yum? Is it homemade or do you buy it prepared? Is there a special way of making it? It's Chinese isn't it.
Thanks,
David

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Tom yum is a delicious Thai hot and sour soup, traditionally made with shrimp or fish sauce, but vegan options include the base of lemongrass, garlic, lime, coconut milk, galangal and chili combined with tofu and mushrooms.

Ive never made one quite as good as the local restaurant makes it, but there are good recipes available online!

There are a lot of delicious vegetarian and vegan options in Thai cooking and restaurants, alhough vegans may need to confirm the lack of fish sauce or oils in a restaurant.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 pm
Tom yum is a delicious Thai hot and sour soup, traditionally made with shrimp or fish sauce, but vegan options include the base of lemongrass, garlic, lime, coconut milk, galangal and chili combined with tofu and mushrooms.

Ive never made one quite as good as the local restaurant makes it, but there are good recipes available online!

There are a lot of delicious vegetarian and vegan options in Thai cooking and restaurants, alhough vegans may need to confirm the lack of fish sauce or oils in a restaurant.
Sounds delicious...thanks for getting back to me...we have a Thai restaurant in town and I'll check if they serve it. When you get a chance, look into Vega One shake mix. It's a plant based shake/smoothie mix that is excellent. I add Pure Munk Fruit, vanilla and cinn & ginger (Amazon). Keeps the energy level up and provides a great protein boost.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Sounds delicious...thanks for getting back to me...we have a Thai restaurant in town and I'll check if they serve it. When you get a chance, look into Vega One shake mix. It's a plant based shake/smoothie mix that is excellent. I add Pure Munk Fruit, vanilla and cinn & ginger (Amazon). Keeps the energy level up and provides a great protein boost.
Thanks I will! When the warmer weather comes around, I like to mix smoothies. Cheers!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am
Do you have any info on vegan Milk Thistle? They say it helps clean the liver and stabilizes blood sugar...just wondering if you did any research on it.

Thanks,
David
I don't mean to be rude, but some people would give up alcohol and sugar and drink water.

Googling is NOT RESEARCH - it's the intellectual equivalent of going to the Mineshaft.

"vegan milk thistle", as opposed to?
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm

I just started baking my own bread. I use a no-knead recipe so it's incredibly simple. Flour-water-salt-yeast, and I add a few seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax) and sometimes a few walnuts. Let rise for 18 h, fold the dough once and let rise again for a couple of hours, then bake in a dutch oven (oven safe pot). So simple and easy and so delicious!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm
I just started baking my own bread. I use a no-knead recipe so it's incredibly simple. Flour-water-salt-yeast, and I add a few seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax) and sometimes a few walnuts. Let rise for 18 h, fold the dough once and let rise again for a couple of hours, then bake in a dutch oven (oven safe pot). So simple and easy and so delicious!
Freshly made bread and a forty eight year old guitar. Much better combo than a freshly made guitar and forty eight year old bread!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Clement Freud had a good reason for not being a vegetarian. He said "The spirit was willing, but the flesh was nice."

Myself, I'm an omnivore too. It's a family tradition stretching back about 30,000 years.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:21 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm
riffmeister wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Freshly made bread and a forty eight year old guitar. Much better combo than a freshly made guitar and forty eight year old bread!
did you make this guitar too?
did you try forty eight year old bread?
seems like taste of bread 48 years ago was different...much better...
who knows -maybe 48 years old bread will beat a new one? :)
I am not vegan, eat a lot of fish, but meat.. eat it only if there is nothing else available at the moment...
we had a breadmaker too, but one day my wife accidentally lost blade from it and thing became useless :)

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 pm

riffmeister wrote:

Looks pretty nice.

I came across the no-knead method about 40 years ago. I was in the Seymour self-sufficiency book. Somewhere along the line I started calling it the pig-swill method as either in that book or somewhere else, the person giving the receipe said all you have to do is mix as much flour as you like with some yeast and water until it has the consistency of a pigswill (or thick porridge). Pretty accurate except now too many people today will have any clear idea about pig swill. :-)

We made bread for about 10 years doing it that way.

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:21 pm

seems like taste of bread 48 years ago was different...much better...
who knows -maybe 48 years old bread will beat a new one? :)
we had a breadmaker too, but one day my wife accidentally lost blade from it and thing became useless :)
I have to agree that bread in general is now horrid. I am very fortunate that in the last two years I have located a couple of places where we can get nice bread. :-)

Try the "pigswill" method - no bread maker required. Just what riffmeister said with porridge/pigswill as an indicator for the right consistency - no need to measure anything. :-)

For the ultimate sourdough check out this thread the first few posts UKsteves and Scot's posts are great. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90983&p=1105695

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
riffmeister wrote:
I don't make guitars, but I do make a little bread with my guitar. I could probably make even more bread with my guitar if I didn't loaf around so much.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 am

riffmeister wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
riffmeister wrote:
I don't make guitars, but I do make a little bread with my guitar. I could probably make even more bread with my guitar if I didn't loaf around so much.
Just caught up with this thread. Riff, I've been making two Tartine loaves a week (with wild starter leaven) for a while now. I usually play around with my dry proportions, but it's been largely hard red winter wheat recently. If you don't know about it, check out Castle Valley Mill. It's local (to us) and I can't recommend enough. Always freshly stone milled, you'll probably get your order within a day of ordering, and it might even be milled within a day. Amazing bread.

Also, gotta rename the thread "Been vegan for seven months now"
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 am

IMG_0008.jpg
These are 75% whole wheat. From last week. Got some good spring with the hard bolted wheat on the right. Both have the Castle Valley Mill flour
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Return to “The Café”